Best $500ish integrated for warm mids/mellow highs?

Bronze Member
Username: Bebopdeluxe

Post Number: 12
First, many thanks for forum members' input...it is helping a LOT! As I continue to learn by reading these posts, I have thought of another question to ask...I am building a system that (for a couple of reasons) will have two pairs of Mirage Omnisats...these speakers have LOADS of high-end, but are lacking a bit in the midrange and midbass (for obvious reasons)...the system will have a sub, so I am not quite so converned about the pure bass, but I am trying to find an integrated amp that will be REALLY strong in the midrange and midbass (to help compensate for the small drivers), while a having relatively cooler and controlled high-end.

I bought the Omnisats on closeout at Vanns for $79 a piece...unfortunately not able to do in-store shopping for amps. I am not looking for the "perfect match" (although it would be nice if I could find it!), but I am sure that different amps have particular strengths and weaknesses, and any help here would be appreciated! It sounds like NAD might be a decent match (something like the C372/370)...any other thoughts? I will be using a Tube Research Labs-modified Sony SCD-CE595 CD carosel as the only source...and I listen to a wide range of stuff...from Teenage Fanclub/Matthew Sweet to Lyle Lovett's "Live in Texas" to the new Pat Metheny/Brad Mehldau disc...

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Just to add where I am focusing right now...the two that I am looking at are the NAD C372 and the Arcam A80...I can pick up a used A80 for $700 shipped (is this worth the step up in price versus the A65 plus, which can be had for $350 or so on Audiogon)...would the Arcam have some of the tonal qualities that I am looking for?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1206
bill:

My suggestion is you try a Cambridge Azur 640A for those speakers. It has the warm mids/mellow highs that you are seeking, which would be a great match for those speakers. Additionally, since you are not in a place where you can easily audition audio gear, here is a dealer where you can have it shipped to you and they will let you try it for 30 days in your home. If it doesn't satisfy you, you can ship it back for a full refund. Additionally, they have factory refurbs which will save you some money, or you can buy factory new product, too:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2CA640AV2&variation=SIL

Comes in both black and silver facias.

Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hawk:

Thanks for the suggestion...looks like the price is right as well...do you think it makes sense to spend the additional $100 for the 640 versus the 540?

While I have you, I got the matching Mirage sub (the LF-150) for $250...I figured that the Omnisats and the LF-150 were designed to work together, and $250 was a decent price for a basic sub...do you think that I am ok with the LF-150, or should I move up to a Hsu vtf-2 mk2? Will I notice THAT much of a difference between the two?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1210
bill:

Mirage makes good products. I am not familiar with the Mirage subs, but I am sure it is fine. However, it is your ears that matter, so get everything setup and try it out. It is the only way you will know. What I can tell you is that a good sub when adjusted proprerly, doesn't get boomy and flatulent sounding. That may not make sense to you, but if you find you don't like the sound of a sub, then you will know what I mean. I know I cured my sub problem with my Hsu, but I never tested the Mirage.

As for the Cambridge amps, yes, I do believe that the 640A is worth the extra money over the 540A. The 640A is a very sweet sounding amp, with a great soundstage, whereas the 540 sounded pretty shallow to my ears. I really love the 640A and I believe you will too. BTW, I have purchased products from Audio Advisor from time to time for the last 20 years--they have always been great to deal with.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1534
If your not affraid of tubes,the Onix Melody SP-3 is by far the best intergrated amp at this price,you can get them used for about $500 or brand new in a box,av123 just stopped selling them,a lot of people bought them as part of a combo never used them,it was product of the year in Hi Fi+ last year,it got one in 6moons its won numerous awards over the last 2 years as much as any product thats currently out right now,its a stellar piece of audio gear and heavy at 58 pounds.

Username: Stodz

Post Number: 4
and try to audition a rega brio.new or used they are a very musical amp for the money

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 432
I really enjoy the sound of the Pioneer Elite A-35r intergrated. It is really rich and warm. The highs are smooth, and well extended. It is built well, and also looks really great to boot.

They are also less than your budget.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6323
If you dig the Elite, you would DIE for the Brio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us