What do you guys think of Magnepan Speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 139
I auditioned some of these last week and I was impressed with there detailed sound without being harsh or overly forward. Even there smaller wall mountable ones sounded really impressive, and it was set up for home theater.

There looks are not very impressive. To bad they don't design something in a some kind of cabinet to be more appealing and have more of the look of traditional cabinet speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1202
TDog:

There is a reason there is no cabinet on the Maggies--they are a true bipole speaker. That means that the sound radiates out the back equally with the sound emanating from the front. This provides a much more realistic soundfield which is why they impressed you so much. The reflected sound off of the walls is so accurate (no cabinet diffraction) that is literally sounds like the performer is in the room with you and no being squeezed through a box. So putting Maggies in a cabinet would defeat their greatest strength.

Otherwise, I agree with you--Maggies are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. However, if the looks matter so much to you, I know an alternative that will give you a nice cabinet that you want and will get really, really close to the maggies in quality of the soundfield. Check out Ohm Acoustic speakers here:

http://www.ohmspeaker.com/

Now, these are sold factory direct only, but you can buy them and have 120 days to try them out in your home--if you aren't satisfied, you can always return them for a full refund. Additionally, you can choose your finish on the cabinet. Instead of being a bipole speaker like the Maggies, the Ohms are omnidirectional, but the result is the same--a sonically stunning soundfield that you will want to listen to for hours.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6041
Nice post, Hawk.
TDog, Ohm have good speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 318
I am a maggie owner, and love the seductive, smooth sound that my MMG's give me. I feel that with the MMG's, they are the best speaker in the price class. However, you wouldn't want to play loud rock on them.

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 140
What are other speakers that can be compared to Maggies,ones that can be played loud, and very detailed?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1208
Ohm Acoustics, TDog. Check them out. Otherwise, there is no conventional monopole speaker with that kind of detail.

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
MartinLogan can play louder than Magnepan speakers, and are IMHO more detailed.

However, the floorstanding electrostatic models start at $2700 for the clarity, and from there go up to around $4000 a pair for the next best speaker.

The less expensive floorstanding model that uses a planar tweeter is $1400 a pair if memory serves me correctly. This is the Montage.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 271
You might find what you're looking for here, dipole single drivers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=19253.0

though most people simply wont believe one can do better than Maggies for $250 diy.

if I can quote you one of the knowledgeable contributors to the post(Richard), who I know sold his Maggie 1.6's after acquiring B200 open baffles:

"So let me see, Brass Ear, if I can point out what you will be hearing with the B200 OB's that
the Maggies did not do for me... just to give you some sense of what the B200's are actually
doing: the Maggie's are wonderful... but they still sound as if they are a lens between
you and the music... a window if you like... clear to be sure... but compared to the OB
experience the Maggie's seem a tad recessed within the fabric of the speaker itself ~

In the end the music cannot quite break free of some kind of restraint that is built into the
speaker design... we are speaking of a certain uncanny spatial resonance here ~

The OB experience is very different... what I am hearing has nothing about it that is mechanical...
it is not real of course... but that is not the way it sounds... IT SOUNDS REAL!!!!!!!!!!

Fully alive and intact and organic and filling the listening space with tremendous energy and
a palpable presence that is completely 3-dimensional ~"

they like to play loud too, on only a handful of watts.

b.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1520
The Onix Mini Strata is real leap forward from Maggies as far as dynamics,bass,and imaging go,they are one of the best audiophile bargains you can buy,they have acheived what Martin Logan has been trying to do for years intergrate bass cones with planers,and for cheaper with much more midrange weight,a astonishing acheivement to say the least.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1521
Yes,Bvan the OB series are stunning speakers,Danny Richie is one of the best speaker designers on the planet,he is also one of the designers on the Mini Strata to.

Username: Harjasalt

Post Number: 5
I'm planning to get magnepan speakers to set up a complete home theatre primarily for movies and loud rock music. I know about the clarity they offer but there were some issues about playing loud music on them. I am currently using JBL speakers and am extremely satisfied with them. I hope the decision to shift to maggies is fine, Help...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4248
"I am currently using JBL speakers and am extremely satisfied with them."

Then why change? Unless you are getting LARGE Maggies they won't rock like the JBL'S.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1177
I have a pair of MG-1Cs and i love them. i would have to agree on Martin Logans being more detailed and filling the room much better. My dad has a pair of claritys and they are amazing. you would need a good set of separates and a very good sub to accompany any of the maggies. mine definitely does not do that.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1178
oh, and i think you would be impressed with the look of Martin Logans. i think they look sexy

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 387
IMHO, the Clarity is not good at all for rock. The Ascent i was a great speaker, and my all around favorite in the $4000 bracket. The sound was rich and slightly warm, and with enough power, they could play a huge variety of music without complaining. Alas, they are no longer produced anymore. I still have yet to warm up to the XStat speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1528
Im still not a fan of Martin Logans,I just recently heard the Summit's and I still didnt like them even though they were the best effort that I have heard from them yet,I could'nt wait to get home to the Mini's.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 411
The Summit is an X-Stat speaker. IMHO, the sound of the Ascent is superior

Gold Member

Post Number: 1531
Na,Gavin the Acsent isnt better than the Summits or the Vista's their much superior to the Ascent.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us