Receiver vs. Subwoofer

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1654
I didn't want to create a thread on it, but here I am. I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver and no subwoofer. I don't know if it'd be more worthwhile to do an IB subwoofer for the 10-80hz range or get a receiver with improved sound and build quality. The fact that I already have a receiver makes me want to go toward an IB subwoofer and get the receiver later. Also, with the fact we may be moving and building an HT room, it may be better to get a receiver that can fill the larger room with sound when/if we move there. On the other hand, we could put an IB subwoofer in and feel the power.

I just don't know.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6020
Andre, what is the result which you hope to achieve?
Just saying 'sub or receiver' really does not put forward the purpose.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9859

How ya gonna build the IB, Andre? Start chopping holes in the walls? And you're going to move soon? And 10Hz?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6034
Hey Dad, can you move the car? I need saw clearance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1658
Guys come on... my hope is for more bass and deeper bass with a better sound and improved imaging. That's the problem. I guess I have to decide if I want deeper bass and more of it or a better image of the sound + more power if I need it. Jan, here goes. I meant at the other house if we move there. We could build it so that the backwave doesn't shake the rest of the house so much. 10hz is entirely possible with 4 Fi Q18s (maybe 8 later on) and a good 2000w (or 4000 with 8) .

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9863

Andre - You are way too fixated on multiples. You need a good six watt amplifier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1662
What!? But that's like a 6th as loud!

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 57
Andre, do you really think you need that much power??? Theatre's dont even use that much power, I say keep the receiver since you already have it, and focus on better speakers for that receiver, A really good speaker setup with a very good sub will do all that you want. It probably wont be ground shaking bass, but it should do you just fine, I wouldnt worry about how loud it is, unless you want to have massive hearing loss when your 20, that receiver with a good set of speakers will do fine in a home theatre room.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1681
Decisions Decisions... I've already blown a Seismic 10 and for the same price could get speakers (Paradigm probably) or build an IB with ground shaking bass.. How does 20hz at 130dB hurt your hearing?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Andre, what did you say???? I cant hear you, you have to speak louder!!!!!

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1690
Have you encountered bass that destroyed your hearing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6044
Huh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6045
Andre, bass is one part of the music.

I feel like I am talking to one of my kids here...

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1691
Do you think a pair of studio 100s would do or a Pioneer Elite Vsx82 or an IB of 4 Q18s and a EP2500? These are what I'd probably choose with the first 2 being easier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
No I dont really listen to music with hard core bass, but I do know of some friends of mine that have damaged their hearing by playing their music way to loud. one of my closest friend is doomed to wear a hearing aid cause he wanted to see how his new subs in his car sounded, had it up for just a little bit, and when he turned it down, he had a loud ringing in his ear, later on that day he came over and was wearing a hearing aid.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1692
Was it 100hz bass? Well anything above 130dB on bass will definitely be bad for your ears.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
go with the pioneer elite andre, good quality, it will blow your yamaha away by a long shot, you wont go wrong with the elite.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1694
Yeah I've been leaning toward the Elite for a while now.. I'm watching Van Helsing and it just doesn't sound right.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
are you watching it on your yammy?????? cause Yammy's are good in HT, but not that great in music, as you probably noticed

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 38
Has anybody heard from Andre lately??

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1695
??

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1696
The thing is, the music in the movie just doesn't sound right. It sounds held back and sterile.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
and you dont have a sub hooked to it??????? that could be your problem, I had that same problem, with a jvc receiver, but onve I added a sub, it seemed to go away, and it sounded good.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1697
Yeah I had a sub on it, but not with this movie. Since I blew that sub I'm not sure where to go next or what to do with the store credit.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13116
Another "Speaker" thread?

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1698
Just do this...

Upload

Annoying what Jpg conversion does.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1707
The only solid decision I'll get is by trying stuff out at home and deciding that way. I'll have to see if my brother will be willing to let me try that.. you know with say that Pioneer Elite, Rotel, Paradigm speaks, or a subwoofer system. You have to try it to know you like it, that's my experience.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 335
Andre, if you had a pair of high efficiency speakers like Klipsch, especially the Klipschorns, they would certainly damage your hearing with 6 watts.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1712
Well of course they would! I thought we were talking about subwoofers? Still, some high efficiency subwoofers are like 105dB efficiency.

Silver Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 117
Andre,
browse through this website, these are great sub-woofers, click on the "specifications" link, you will see that one model goes down to 11Hz

http://www.earthquakesound.com/supernova15.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
oh how I want to post that link that was being posted in here a while ago, telling us it was a subwoofer retailer

Alas, I like my account active :-P

Silver Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 118
huh ????

Silver Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 119
Gavin
this is unreal, I just made a suggestion cause I happen to know about this sub's, don't know where your comments came from so, I suggest you please find the post when it was stated that I was a retailer; until then please do not make false accusations.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1723
I've seen them before, but I just don't think they price/performance ratio would match an IB.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6067
wb Vader

Silver Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 120
Andre,

Cool, it was just a thought

Good luck mate

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 347
Vader,

it was a p0rn link. I wasn't making accusations. You weren't here to see it, and have no clue what I am talking about. I know earthquake makes subs.

"oh how I want to post that link that was being posted in here a while ago, telling us it was a subwoofer retailer"

The p0rn link that was posted here looked like it could pass for a sub manufacturer. It had pounder in the name. May have been thepounder, but not going to check it to verify. The person that posted it was hawking it off as a subwoofer manufacturer.

That was where I was going.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13149
I remember that poster who would write in links and it was some sort deviant crap... he was banned after a while. Took long enough, though.

When a new member would ask about anything, he would write "there excellent _______________ on this site!"

Silver Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 121
Gavin,

sorry if I misread it, the beer is on me :-)

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 348
no problem vader.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 349
MEATSPIN!!! That was who it was. Like Berny said, every time a newbie came looking for help, Meatspin would make a post with a link that looked like it could be legit for a speaker or subwoofer manufacturer, but was p0rno in disguise.

The only reason I remember that is because I clicked on one of his links when he was raving about the performance of the "speakers" offered on the site.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13156
LOL....man, that was some sicko bastadge!

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1724
He's CRAZY.

P.S. I'm at school.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1764
I really like the bass of the 4311s. The thing is, there isn't much of it. The Av5001s may have more, but it drops off below like 60hz, where the 4311s drop off an octave lower. The 5001s also have a lot more distortion.

I did testing to see how more amplifier power affects the sound. I tried running with all speakers playing a bass track. It was pretty weak, to be truthful. When I took off two speakers, front or back, left or right, it improved a lot. Then when I played just one speaker (surround back is off the whole time), it was even better. Is this because the speakers weren't happy with each other, or is it because more power from the amplifier really is better in the bass region? Is it something else? The whole power supply for one amp maybe?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13237
I'm sure you will come up with an answer.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1767
I'm sure I will. It's probably a combination of those.

If it's the receiver I buy, I'll have the benefit of higher SQ and just plain better sound, as long as the source is up to it.

IB subwoofer + EP2500 = Probably the bass I got from the JBLs, but loads louder and deeper sounding much better as well.

JBL 4645+EP2500 = High SPL (some SQ) down to 25hz or so.

I'm sure I'll find a reason to pick one of them, maybe even speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 433
Andre is krazy :-)

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1793
Krazy like a Kat

Gold Member

Post Number: 6171
Fox. Crazy like a Fox.
Geez Laweez.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 375
Meatspin time anyone? lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13268
I'd rather deal with Andre's lunacy than go through one of meatspin's links. LOL

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 380

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1824
Thanks guys. I'm glad for all your help. It's really helping me get a grasp on things. I'm trying to learn and get more experience...but money's a limit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13299
Who needs experience when you have imagination?

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1828

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2052
It turns out I have enough money now for that receiver, but I think I'll keep saving it. I have a feeling I should..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us