Cambridge Audio 640v1 vs. 540v2

Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 3
OK, after reading through the threads I realized that my question about NAD vs Cambridge Audio had already been addressed way too many times, I apologize.

Now, how about this one: I've narrowed it down to Cambridge Audio, a used 640 version 1, vs a new 540 version 2. My question is, which would you go for? Do the improvements in the v2 outweigh the extra power in the 640?

Pricewise, I'm looking at $30 for the 640v1, and $395 for the 540v2. Any thoughts?

Joe

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1197
Joe:

The 640 v.1 has much better soundstage imaging than the 540 v.2. It is more than just the extra power as the 640 has a better output stage.

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 5
Thanks again. Looks like our posts passed each other in cyberspace. After your response about the NAD though, I am leaning back towards getting a 320bee or 325bee, which is about the same price as the 640v1. Thinking of my potential speakers...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5982
Joe, those are good choices. Remember that these are lower powered units. The 325 has some guts, but only some.
I have not seen a post with 320/325 with AN speakers for a while.
Audio Note.

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 6
So would you say that the CA 640A has a big advantage in terms of overall power? I believe it has 65W, whereas the 320/325 have 50...think there'll be a distinct difference? The other advantage is that the 640A has a B speaker output, so I could add a sub...

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 19
An update: the speaker choice has been made, I'm going with the Monitor Audio Br5. These are bright and lively, so I think will match Cambridge sound very well. Still the question remains, 540A v2 or 640A v1. Does anyone have any more thoughts on that? There's only a 5 watt difference (60 vs 65), but does the better soundstage really make that much of a difference, and does it outweigh the v2 improvements?

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 175
I would opt for the 540 v2 - I don't think you will hear any difference in 5 watts It will image better than the v.1 640a-which I own.
It also comes with a better remote, better speaker posts, and upgrades to the circuit board that result in a tad better imaging.
My next upgrade from the Cambridge 640a v.1 will be separates from Parasound. Or maybe....get ready Stu Pitt, the Masters Series from NAD

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1656
You calling me out Uback?

I like NAD gear. I've owned it for the last 10-15 years now. I just think there's much better for the money at the Master Series price range. Then again, everyone's ears and preferences are different. Before spending that kind of money, make sure you've heard its competition.

Nothing wrong with the Master Series at all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
I dont think I'll end up going the Masters Series route, unless I can find it pre-owned or get a helluva deal. I'm looking at a lot options.
This is a blast!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6538
And guess what? It never ends!

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 193
Ever had a dream about stereo gear?
You may know you're an audiophile if............

Gold Member

Post Number: 6574
Uback, you got it bad!

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 196
Nuck,
Its OUT OF CONTROL!
Partly being fueled by the fact that when I began my Audiophile journey, I was unemployed.
That lasted for 11 months, basically all of '06
Landed a job in December and have not looked back. Do the math!! I'm dangerous!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6589
Uback, if you were in the middle of a divorce, it would be a perfect storm.
Trust me.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 387
I debated on this forum for over a year before I chose between a NAD and a Cambridge. This was due to money limitations.
I went for cambridge audio, a 540a v1 and really like it. I've had it for 3 months now. I will say that its quite bright in character though, even with warm speakers (kevlar drivers and silk dome tweeters). A subwoofer is necessary to fill the bottom end out, but a subwoofer is necessary anyway to be honest.
Uback, Id say for for the 540a v2 with the improvements made on it. My v1 can drive low sensitivity speakers (86db) pretty damn loud.

Go. Go and buy!

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 33
I ended up with the 640a v1, and so far am very happy, paired with MA rs8 speakers. No sub needed with those, in fact sometimes there is a bit too much bass, so I'm still trying to find that optimal placement...

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 209
Here are some pointers to get the most bang for the buck out of this amp-These are relatively inexpensive additions and tweaks that I have found will help maximize the sound.

#1 Use the "direct" button on the amp. This by-passes the circuits for tone control adjustment and allows for a cleaner signal and purer sound. You mentioned that the RS8 are bassy, running the amp in direct mode will not allow any adjustments in the bass and treble knobs and help to tighten up the bass.

#2 I upgraded the power cord from the stock cord to a PS Audio Power Punch cord that I got off of www.audioadvisor.com for $50.00. I highly recommend changing out the cord as it has cleaned up the sound of the amp considerably. When your wife notices the change, you know you're on to something. Noise floor was a lot lower and the bass was more defined and overall sound noticably more refined.

3. Ayre Myrtlewood blocks from musicdirect.com Place three of these $5.00 blocks under, not only the amp, but your cd or dvd player and they help to isolate the gear from vibrations. Not a huge difference here, but a noticeable one. #3 Interconnects: yes, they do make a difference, no, you don't have to spend more than what you paid for the amp to get a good quality set. I personally like the Analog 2's from Signalcable.com -They can be had for $50.00 for a 2ft set.

#4 Speaker cables: I really like Paul Speltz' "AntiCables" www.anticables.com You can get a 6ft pair for $60.00. If you try a set make sure you get them with "Banana Plugs" as the screw type speakers posts on the back of your 640 can be tricky with "spade" connectors. On the top of the black and red speaker inputs, you will notice a black "plug"- Get some tweezers and carefully pry this out of the post. Once you do this you will be able to plug a banana plug-type connector into the post directly.

Some people don't buy into a lot of the tweaks out there and attribute some, or all of it as voodoo science. I, on the other hand think that adding relatively inexpensive tweaks and upgrades to a system can make a world of difference. Especially when you look at the overall sum of the changes and adjustments made and how then can have a huge cumulative effect on the overall sound of your system.

Let me know if you try some of these, I would love to hear what you think.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Post Number: 14
Uback - what made you like Signalcable.com and anticables so much? I'm just asking because I've never heard of these brands before.

Blue Jeans Cable's stereo analog cables would appear to be better based on their specs, and at a cheaper price.

I've always been of the opinion that dropping a lot of coin on cables is fruitless, but I'm always interested to see why people who buy 'specialty' cables think they sound better/what differences they notice.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 213
Relative to me, the signals and anticables are not expensive. They provide a lot of performance for the dollar. If you're insistent on the Blue Jeans, go that route for the interconnects, for the speaker cables, opt for the anti-cables. I can promise you this- I would put the anti-cables against any cable I have heard under $1000 a pair. No joke. The only reason I even found them was reading a review in The Absolute Sound magazine. Check these reviews out: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/anticables.htm and http://www.anticables.com/reviews.html

The hype is definitely warranted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
A new power cord making so much difference? That sounds insane. Im not denying what u said uback though. Its odd how I dont get much bass with my diamond 8.1s though. Perhaps the fact Im not using a cd player and its running from a soundcard.
I'm saving up for a holiday in september so no more buying audio stuff for me. I had a custom interconnect made which works well and speaker cables are upgraded to the qed silver anni. xt.

But really, £30 for a power cord!! :|

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 214
i thought the same thing when I got into the hi-fi game. But, I will tell you that on my CA amp it made a noticeable difference. Yes, get rid of that soundcard, dude! Bass, anyone???

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 34
Thanks for all the suggestions, Uback. I already got my cable and interconnect from Audioquest, but I will definitely look into the blocks and the power cord. But I have a question about that: do you need to consider the entire power supply setup? What about the wall receptacle (I've seen some that are sold as "audiograde"), and what about if you want to use a power strip? Should these be upgraded as well? Should a power strip be avoided?

And yes I have been using the direct button, there is a distinct improvement...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Interesting...What other cables have you compared them to?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 218
I upgraded the wall outlet to a hospital- grade receptacle. Some people frown upon the power strips. I have a Monster HTS 2000 strip that I got for $200 recently that seems to work pretty well. The main reason to get one is to protect your components and tv from power surges or lightning strikes. I'd rather have that thing take the hit rather than the components. Sound quality has remained the same.

As far as what cables I heard to make the statement that the anti's sound as good as anything that I have heard under 1k

Analysis Plus Bi-Ovals
Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval
Nordost: Blue Heaven II's
Audioquest: Bedrocks, Gibralter, Rockefeller
Nordost: Red Dawn's and Baldur
Kimber 8TC, Monocles
Sonic Horizon: Silver Moon

Several others that I cant seem to recall at the moment.

The anti's are the real-deal. I to was very skeptic when I received them as they are not like the typical cable; the diameter of a coat hanger wire and stiff, but pliable. Upon installation, I remember stepping back and in amazement and thinking how the all of the hype I read was dead-on. Are they the end-all cable? No-but for the money you cannot go wrong.
Check 'em out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Cool, sounds like they're worth a shot. Considering the price, I may buy a pair of the anticables and a set of blue jeans cables just to see if I notice any difference. I noticed on the anticables website that he sells the plain cable for $1.25/foot. Terminations are fairly cheap so I may go that route.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 223
If I were a betting man........!

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
'Yes, get rid of that soundcard, dude! Bass, anyone???'

Bass is alright, I think its more my speaker placement. Its a decent soundcard plus I have a subwoofer.
Unless, soundcards in general are like that?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 259
Update: I have upgraded the interconnects from the SignalCable Analog 2's to Kimber Kable Silver Streaks. Let's just say, it's the best its ever sounded. These cables are pricey ($260 retail-$175 I paid- for a 1m set with locking rca's) The level of detail they have squeezed from my CA components (540D and 640A v.1 )is unbelievable. Amazing. Clarity, Sparkle and Soundstage depth in spades!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4620
Fantastic UB!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6985
UBack, those componants just have to work together. You have found a great link for them, and that is sometimes the secret.
Excellent!

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 260
Nuck, its unreal how much of a difference they have made. The Jamie Cullum "Chasing Tales" and the Herbie Hancock "Possibilities" cd's are two that I've used to measure the effect of the various additions I have done and it's like night and day with the Kimber's. Don't laugh, but I am listening to the Christina Aguillera's rendition of the Leon Russel penned "Song For You" from the Hancock cd, and I actually have goosebumps as I write this- Call her "bubblegum", but that girl can SING. WOW!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us