Pioneer receiver

Username: Prideboy

Omaha, NE USA

Post Number: 6
I have a Pioneer VSX-D308 receiver and what I was wondering is that is it ok to connect just a pair of speakers that are 4 ohms? This receiver is normaly for 8 ohms or higher. I attached a pic of my receiver but the color is bad mine is more black and normal color looking receiver

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1602
I don't know. My receiver from the 70's takes 4 ohms just fine (and pumps out 200w) . I don't recommend it though. Other people *Should* know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1607
BTW it says it's 4-ohm capable on the back.

Omaha, NE USA

Post Number: 8
On my owners manual it says 8 ohms or higher. It doesn't say 4 ohms is ok that's why I needed to know if I can connect just a pair of 4 ohms speakers and have no problem with this receiver or the 4 ohms speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1610
I don't know. I'd figure my receiver would lose the ability with age, but I guess it just keeps on keepin' on. If I were you I'd hook two pair up with each pair hooked in series. That's just because I like loud music and it wouldn't hurt the receiver. You could try it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 52
Hi dallas I actually own that same receiver, and with my experience with it is that 4 ohm should be fine, I had 4 ohm speakers hooked up for the longest time and it did just fine, Note: I have never had mine up even half way, never needed to, but you might play your a little louder than I play mine, with a quarter of the way up is what I have mine at most of the time, the 4 ohm speakers did just fine.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9820

All four Ohm speakers are not equal! You need to know more than just "they are four Ohm speakers". What is the lowest impedance of the speakers you are considering? What sort of electrical phase angle do they present to the amplifier? Are they difficult or fairly easy to drive? What sensitivity do they have? Do they play above 90dB with one watt of power in? If you can't answer these question and cannot find someone to provide you the information, do not connect those speakers to your receievr without expecting to do some damage.

But, hey, if your receiver is more black, .....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1617
Jan, I've played my receiver to the point where the driver...well I don't want to say it, albeit for less than a second at a time.

Omaha, NE USA

Post Number: 10
I don't currently own the 4 ohms speakers but I was wondering if it's ok to buy this speakers and connect them to my receiver. If it's not a good idea to use them then I will buy the 8 ohms version of these speakers. The 8 ohms version is discussed on the other thread on the speaker section. The reason why I was asking to see if these will work is since I use to own a pair of these a long time agao and I really liked how they sound but problem was it was 4 ohms and I use to use a different receiver and it wasn't good for 4 ohms. But overall if you guys think that these 4 ohms speakers are ok with my receiver then I might buy them but I do want to be sure I'am safe and that I won't be sorry because I used these 4 ohms speakers on this receiver. Here are the specs of the speakers I'am talking about that are 4 Ohms.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/install/control/ctrl1.pdf

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9822

That doesn't tell us anything relative to what the speaker load when it's connected to your amplifier. No minimum impedance is stated and that's important to know before you hook them to a receiver that states they shouldn't be used with that receiver. Please understand that most four Ohm nominal speakers dip beneath that impedance at some point in their frequency range. I don't understand why, if your receiver says don't use these speakers and you have a viable alternative, you would want to take the chance on the lower impedance design. To be honest, this seems stupid. Just buy the higher impedance speaker and be happy that you are not risking your receiver.

Bronze Member

Omaha, NE USA

Post Number: 13
I found tech specs for the Control 1 and it gives alot of different details.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Control%20Series/Control%201Pro-WH.pdf

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 407
Andre

Your amp may just have crappy woofer control.

whats the make ?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9825

Just buy the 8 Ohm speakers. Is there something difficult to understand about that? Why are you resisting this advice so vehemently? If you don't want advice, buy whatever you want and stop posting.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5962
If you do try the 4 ohm, just let the receiver warm up briefly and turn it loud, see if the unit shuts down. By ramping the thing up you induce a lot of heat, and tipping a control circuit with a cooking amp section is not preferable.

Good luck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1633
Kyle, if you absolutely must know, it's a Scott from the 70s. I would expect the woofer control to be bad. Of course, it's a 2" driver trying to play deep bass. Even at it what it cost back in the 70s ($500), it probably still has an issue because of the age.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us