Opinions? Help? Dynaudio Focus 140 vs Totem Model 1

Username: 8track

Post Number: 1
I have 2K in my budget for Monitors. Which is the better buy? I like the sound of both. I think the Dynaudio has better bass extension which is what has me leaning in that direction. However I think the Model 1 has a slight edge in the soundstage/imaging department, not that the 140 is bad.

I ask you because I have a habit of making the wrong decisions. YES, I bought Bose AM-5's once.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4115
They are equals it's a matter of choice and preference. Keep in mind what you are buying them for. What do you listen to most and which of these speakers is likely to give you long term satisfaction. No one here can make that decision for you...and BTW you appear to have learned from the Bose debacle and now your here asking questions...that's a good thing, especially because it appears it is accompanied by your going into the field and doing some listening.

Now it's time to take it to the next level and make a choice. Don't forget that your associated gear and room will have a lot to do with how either of those speakers are going to sound when you get them home.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1939
What will you be driving the speakers with? And please tell us both source and amp...

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 2
I have a Bel Canto DAC3 (DAC/Pre) and a S300 amp. My source now is an Arcam CD 73T but I use my Laptop more than the CD Player. I listen to pretty much everything but more R&B and Jazz than anything else.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1944
I'm glad to see that your electronics are up to the task of driving these quite difficult speaker loads. The Model-1 is a more difficult load than the Dynaudio which can cause problems in class D amps like yours but your seems to be one of the more powerful of its type so it shouldn't have problems with them.

I prefer the character of the Model-1 myself. I do like what the Dynaudios do, and I particularly like their bass weight, but for me the Model-1 is that bit better in pace rhythm and timing. I'm not sure if it has better resolution but it just seems to me to have a better balance overall. This assumes that you will consider the Heavi-1 stand as part of the deal. The Model-1s won't necessarily work as well on different stands.

That said, the Dynaudio is a fine speaker, with lots of presence. If you prefer a weightier, warmer sound then the Dynaudio is likely to appeal more. Once again, Dynaudio's stands or Partington's (previously the Dynaudio stand manufacturer) should be considered de rigeur.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
I do prefer a warmer sound. which is why I am 90% sure I will get the Dynaudio.

What is this Heavi-1 stand? I am not familiar. I see on the totem website that they suggest there T4S stand which looks a lot like the Target MR stands but I was told it is not and that they make their own stand.

I actually like the 4 square post stands like the one Totem makes and the Target. I didn't like the look of the Dynaudio stand.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5974
ET, the stand is always the caddy to the speaker.
The stand provides a means of coupling a certain speaker with volume, or can isolate, or sympathise with a speakers sound.

The de rigeur(damn italianics)are so for good reason.

Until a better one comes along.

I really like the 140's, but I gotta be honest. They fronted Cary tube mono's and a Cary cdp.I heard them here

www.alternativeaudio.com

Post Number: 5
okay, spent some more time with the Dynaudio Focus 140 today and it was not as plesant as the first time. The bass, while there was more than the Model 1, it wasn't as tight and/or accurate. And, if this makes sense, the Dynaudio sounded as if music was coming from a box, the Model 1 seemed as if the music was just hanging there in mid-air.

Maybe my ears just like the Totem sound better. I just wish the Model 1 had better low end extension. Maybe I should look at the Hawk.

Username: Javsonic

SaltilloMexico

Post Number: 3
It seems that your Dynaudio Focus 140 have not been
fully "broken-in". You should at least let them
running for 200 hours to get their full potential.

Post Number: 6
The dealer said they had about a hundred hours on them, now whether he was telling the truth or not, who knows. He also said that it didn't matter, "they sound great right out of the box." I thought to myself, yeah whatever.

He went on to say that everytime he hooks a pair of up he sells them. I told him I was also interested in the Model 1. He said Totem was a "Dynaudio knock-off," again I thought whatever. I said well Totem uses Dynaudio drivers in a few of their products, is that why you think that? He said" "Dynaudio doesn't make drivers for anyone else." After that comment, I thought either he is an idiot or he thinks I am one.

I went back to the Totem dealer and spent my money there.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 327
Sounds like you avoided a lousy dealer. Smart move going elsewhere.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6057
Send him a link of this thread. Maybe he will realize that he should sell encyclopedia's instead.
Good call,ET.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 270
Eight Track,

Sounds like you heard them in different rooms? Bear in mind the room and the speakers possition in the room(esp relative to wall behind speaker) will have a bigger bearing on what you hear than any component change, IMHO. Try to level the playing field, or at least allow for differences. A home demo would be ideal.

FWIW I have heard the 140's sound too bass heavy in a dealers small room, but have lived with them without this impression in my medium sized room.

Personally I would be slow to plonk down 2K without a home trial. Either way though you cant go too far wrong with these contenders.

cheers

B.

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 189
Hi Eight Track,

I think your assessment of the Focus series is the same as mine, the soundstage and treble of the Focus series is its weakest link. I would lean toward the Model 1 as well.

I like to see Dynaudio come up with a design using the modified D260 Esotec tweeter found in the Audience 122, 72, and 82 combined with Focus midrange/woofer driver in a 3-way configuration. I think this will be phenomenal if there is no problem tackling the crossover.

Best luck on your audio journey,

Eld

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1518
Totem doesent use Dynaudio drivers,the original Model 1 did use them,but that was before Dynaudio stopped sourcing drivers out to other manufactures,which was their bread and butter for years,after they broke away from Scanspeek,Vifa,and Peerless the Typhony group.Dynaudio stopped sourcing drivers about 6 years ago,the Totem drivers that actually look like Dyne drivers in the Model 1,Forrest,and Mani-2 are actually from a driver company called ATI,and no they are not the same as the amp company.It does sound like you heard a pair 140's that wernt broken in,all Dynes take at least 200 hours,really more like 350 before they really start to sing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us