The worst has happened...now what?

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 30
This may or may not belong here in the Amps section, but here it is.

I asked a question in the pre amp forum about plugging in my cd player into my pre amp. Some of the correspondence there got me thinking-

A lot of people here have some very expensive gear. And lots of it. Outside of the surge protectors and power conditioners and all the current plug-in doo dahs to protect your gear, what are you doing to insure your gear? Do you have added homeowners policies to deal with the unthinkable....a fire, or theft, or equipment death due to failure of your doo dah? Does your insurance man know how much money you have sitting there in the living room and is he going to be there for you should you need him to step up to the plate?

Just sort of a curiosity, more than anything else. I know I've got to place a call to the insurance man...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9811

I tried to inform my insurance agent that I didn't own just a boom box but she said there wasn't anything to worry about. I have recorded all the serial numbers for all my gear and kept the receipts for everything I bought at retail. As they say, hopefully I'll never need this but if I do, we'll see what happens when they ask for replacement costs on a pair of vintage McIntosh tube amplifiers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5955

And they say, no, I mean really.

I would get the replacement costs researched, by the insurer and get results in writing. They covered replacement of my stuff, my insured value on the policy is 10k, they guaranteed replacement above the, within the max replacement value of the property.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4113
Interesting that you ask Stryvn. I just called my insurance agent 2 weeks ago and made an appointment to update my insurance. I also have pictures of everything. The agent even asked how much software I have and it's approximate value. Like has been said, you hope you won't need it but batter safe than very sorry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5957
Our home insurance premiums are taxed on 2 levels.
That irks me.
Anybody else?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 264
Insurance? What' that?

LOL

I don't undrestand "home insurance premiums being taxed" on any level.

Strangely enough we needed to get a rider in Illinois to cover my wife's jewelry, not my gear, but in Texas they just care about how big your house is and then charge you premiums based on square footage and amenities. Apparently they got it all covered because I am paying twice as much in Texas, but they tell me "it's all covered".

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1941
My policy has certain items of the HiFi which have a retail value higher than the maximum for a single piece mentioned in it specifically. The rest is all covered under general house contents insurance, but the value of the contents pushes up the premium obviously.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5960
Then again, Mike, you ARE insured by Smith and Wesson!

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 269
No S&W.

Glock, Taurus, and a bigger 44 Ruger Magnum than Clint Eastwood ever had.

Plus an Akita / Border Collie mix and a Boxer.

Then there's this bill I pay to ADC security systems.

And lastly, there's Marsh!

Geez, good thing I live in a "nice" area.

LOL

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1376
My insurance (usaa) suggests to have personal article floaters for any one item that has a replacement value of over $1k. I have some of the wifes jewelery on floaters but not the audio gear (since most besides the tv are worth just over 1k each) Guess it's just how confident you are that they will reimburse under the household items umbrella. I am quite confident considering my insurance company's reputation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us