Plasma friendly?

Username: Jdhogg

Post Number: 1
Not really sure what "Plasma friendly" means, but I am looking for some wall-mounted speakers to complement my Panasonic 58" and Denon 2307CI in a 3.1 system. Any thoughts on these:

Polk: L/R--RM7300/RM30, C--RM7302/RM302
DefTech: L/R--Mythos Two(or Six), C--Mythos Three(or Seven)
RBH: L/C/R--WM-30
Klipsch: L/C/R--Synergy SLX LCR

This is for a rather large den and towers are not an option (unfortunately). I may go to a 5.1 system with some in-ceiling/corner speakers once I commit to putting some holes in my walls.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1934
John,

I don't know the speakers you mention so I can't comment on them.

One very nice solution which I rather like for its clean look (plasma friendly) is the Artison Portrait. These are speakers designed to look like they were made for the plasma screen. They come with a rig that attaches to the rear of the screen. In each speaker chassis there are actually two speakers. The top speakers act together (very well) as a centre speaker. The two bottom speakers are left and right channels. The rear of each chassis has a side firing tweeter to add ambience. So these two speakers give you 3 channels. Just add a Velodyne sub for the .1.

Alternatively, another very effective solution is the Totem Tribe. This speaker is long and slim and you can buy them singly, to place on the wall. They're better speakers than the Portraits but obviously you have the palaver of attaching them to the wall. They work far better than they have any right to.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 58
frank
although this is not directly related wanted your opinion on a couple of issues.
1.just bought two set of bright star isonodes for cd and amp.(speakers are isolated on the posts and rubber bits supplied with the PSB's).what do you think of these isonodes?

2.what stylus cleaner would you recommend.i don't play loads of vinyl maybe 6-7 lps's per month have pro-ject debut 3 with supplied stylus ortofon.
thanks
malco

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1186
John:

The weakness of most of these wall mounted speakers is that they lack low end extension--most roll off at 90Hz or at best 80Hz. It is no problem when listening to Home Theater with a dedicated subwoofer, but if you listen to stereo music, it will sound like something is missing (because it is).

Don't know what your budget is, but look into the Dynaudio 42Ws. These are small boxes that mount directly to the wall and they are about 14"h x 9"w x 7"d. They go deeper, and are far more natural sounding that the speakers you identified. Alternatively, check out the NHT L-5s, which are also speakers meant to be wall mounted with a plasma or LCD tv. They also have a much more convincing full range capability.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 284
I would also recommend taking a look at the MartinLogan line of on wall speakers. These are specified to have a low end extension of approximatly 75Hz at the -3dB point. They are stunning with music (with a subwoofer), and are equally adept at home theatre.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/fresco.html

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/vignette.html

The frescos are priced at $1000 each, and the vignettes are priced at $650 each.

These speakers use planar magnetic technology to reproduce the highs (and the midrange as well in the case of the fresco).

They are lightning quick, and reproduce transients with stunning realism. The midrange (especially in the fresco) has an almost "reach out and touch it", you are there feeling, without being too forward.

MartinLogan on wall speakers are unlike any other sealed on wall speakers (that I know of). They are planar loaded, and are adept at music and home theater.

Although you will need a subwoofer, it is not hard to find an inexpensive (less than $600) subwoofer that will work well with these. There are options all over for great subwoofers, and some are even less than the $600 I put for an inexpensive subwoofer. That is a ballpark figure.

These speakers aren't inexpensive for an on-wall. Many outstanding floorstanders are in the $1200 to $2000 a pair category. They offer deeper bass (and may sound similar in the case of ML's own Montage)

But, these truly are great speakers and IMHO well worth the price if your budget allows.

However, for general TV viewing, a subwoofer will not be mandatory. I would just recommend it if you are also looking for an outstanding music system as well.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 389
Why can we never just give input on what speakers the OP has considered, and go from there? Instead of injecting personal preferences?
I recommend Aerial Acoustics. No sub required either. So there.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 390
Oh, and their not wall mountable, so change the setup too!

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 285
because I feel that more speakers than just 3 are needed to narrow down your choices. If he had posted 5 or more, than I may not have done what I did.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us