Good floorstanding speakers for under $1500...

Username: Jeremyfla

Post Number: 1
I need some help/advice. I want to buy new speakers (can go up to 1500) that will be used mostly for music in my living room which is on the large side with low ceiling. I listen to all genres but mostly rock, electronic/dance, reggae and pop. I have two receivers, one H/K the othe Onkyo which are both entry level. I will eventually upgrade my receivers to a good power amp so keeping this mind what speakers would be best suited for my needs?

Username: Jps1010

Post Number: 4
I listened to the Def Techs (7004 model) and they sounded great. At that time I also listened to Klipsch as well as Polk and the Def's sounded better than both of them. Even my gf who has no interests in any of this agreed with me. The only reason why I most likely will not buy them is because they are not exactly the best looking speakers if you, like myself like a wood finish.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12967
Is this budget for a pair or a 5.1 set-up?

Post Number: 2
already have 5.1 set-up so these will just be my fronts to listen to music.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 470
B&W DM604s3. The sound is rich and robust. Great for your kind of music. $1400 a pair. I have them driven by a NAD C370 integrated amp. I listen to rock, pop & dance. They are awesome.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/label/Model%20DM6 04%20S3

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 277
I will second the B$W DM604, and also suggest that you listen to the Paradigm Monitor series. The Monitor 7's have been my favorites in that lineup.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1507
I suggest the Raw Acoustics HT-3 for $1299 or the Onix RS450 Rocket on sale for $799 with the Rocket Risers.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 873
Ohm Microwalsh Tall for $999 is a good candidate.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12979
The Ohm Microwalsh...excellent speakers. But I don't believe you'd be doing them justice with entry level receivers.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 874
Berny, what kind of power would you mate with the Microwalsh?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12980
I wouldn't power them with receivers. Separate power amps from Linn, Arcam, Aragon, Outlaw, NAD, Parasound, Bryston. No mass market receivers with weak power supplies like Onkyo.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 875
I agree with you about Onkyo, but you think receivers from the other brands you listed aren't up to snuff?

I have a Marantz SR5400 (90wpc) or a NAD L53 Receiver/DVD Player (50wpc) that I've considered pairing the Microwalsh. Do you think I'd be doing those speakers a disservice by using those receivers?

I also have a Cambridge Audio 540A Integrated Amp (50wpc), would it be a better choice over the beffier Marantz receiver or NAD with the Ohms?

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all your advice. Good suggestions. I have been researching the DM604s, Rockets, Paradigms and Defs but are unfamiliar with the Ohms and HT-3s.

Anyone familiar with the big Axiom or Aperion floorstanders?

Like I said I will be getting a good amp soon after I've purcahsed the speakers so I will eventually to do them justice!

To share some info my current set-up was originally bought for HT (got sucked into the hype!) but with two young kids and having no time no more HT! Mind you, SpongBob and Dora don't sound too bad on 6.1!!

My budget was just 1K to get everything so I went for a H/K AVR 230 with HSU Ventriloquist surrounds and a HSU STF-1 sub. Sometimes I switch the H/K with the Onkyo TSX50 (given to me) and it all sounds good but missing "something" when I listen to music.....yep....time to move on I guess!

Post Number: 4
Hey Rick.....I see you're in Oakland Park.....I'm in Fort Lauderdale.....any good stores around to check this gear out?

Silver Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 104
I currently own Axiom m-60's. Currently they are paired in my HT system with a marantz sr-6300.

Depending on your music tastes though, you may not care for them. Some friends of mine think they are anemic in the bass department. The specs say 34 htz (i have not measured).

If i had anything poor to say about them myself i sometimes find the titanium tweeter fatiguing, but this is almost only when listening to a poorly recorded source though. For the most part i find them vibrant and refreshing.

I'd like to put them with a beefy amp and see how they would respond, the marantz is supposed to be like 100 w per channel. Somehow i doubt that. They are 93 Db@ 1 watt @ 1 m sensitivity, they get loud.

I found them fussy on placement as well, it could be my room though.

Jeremy I was wondering if you thought about maybe getting some used gear? Now that i am a little more educated, I wish that I would have at least considered that option. You may want to browse a site like audiogon.com and see what you can dig up for more options and since you seem like you may want to upgrade your reciever(s) it would seem logical that even if you bought a set of new speaker in this price range you may be better off buying something of higher quality used than a lower quality set new. (if that makes any sence)

good luck with your search, lord knows this is an ever addictive hobby...... lol cheers

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1931
Jeremy,

Have you looked around your area for Focal speakers? Their newest Chorus 700V range is a fine one indeed in my view. They're easy to drive so will not die with your current kit, and they exploit better electronics very readily. Have a look at the 716V which should be well within your price range.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 135
DOod wait until may and pick up a new set of the Polk RTI series that are being released

http://www.polkaudio.com/partners/press.php?id=72

these are going to be outstanding speakers

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 113
Hi Mr. Jeremy. It sounds like you are setting up a 2 channel listening system. I thought I would offer my suggestions. The thing you want to avoid is buying something then listening and learning more and then realizing you would have been happier with something else.

here are current options and pricings for some entry level higher fidelity offerings than most of whats been listed thusfar;

1. Swan Diva 6.1 710 dollars
2. Cabasse Skiff 301 1200 dollars
3. Dali 2.8 Golden Cherry 800 dollars
4. Totem Arro 750
5. Vandersteen 2 CE 1199
6. Spendor s5E 1300

Although many could level various criticisms at this varied list of choices, these are a significant cut above stuff like Definitive Technology and the B and W 600 series for instance. LIkely these names arent familiar to you, as the better high fidelity offereings are not sold in typical retail stores for the most part. These prices are for pairs and I pulled them off of audiogon.com classifieds for full range speakers that were listed over the past few days.

What usually happens at this point is a large listing of a gazillion speakers by the oft seen tounge in cheek posting we so enjoy here, but the reality is that it pays to listen and learn, especially for 2 channel stuff, before spending some decent change and pretty run of the mill stuff.

Good Luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5920
Good advise and good lineup, Marc.
Where ya' bin?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 114
Asia. Nice to see you as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5937
I heard the Vandersteen 2CE yesterday on a Nad Master series. It worked ok on an open display.
Where did you hear the Splendor, Marc?

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 246
Klipsch Reference RF-7

they look very modern without being too far out there and the sound matched with a good receiver is outstanding in clarity and detail

Post Number: 5
Spent some some time over the weekend auditioning the following at local stores/dealers : Def Tech BP7006, BP7004 & BP7002, various Polk and Klipsch floorstanders, Focals, Vandersteen 2CE, B&W DM604s3, and Some Paradigms.

All the above powered on mass markets revivers and some powered by Nads, Rotels and Aragons .....for my listening needs the B&W's win ....I brought in my two cheap H/K and Onkyo receivers and they worked well but when hooked-up to the better amps the differnce was clear...now I really have to buy a better amp!

Marc...After research on the net I now have a new question....China?

In particular the Hi-Vi Swan's......are they really that good....they look great...ant the driver specs sound impressive..

Is it true that Axioms, Rockets, Onix Ref's and even the Aperions are made in China, or use Asian made drivers? I don't mind buying "made-in-china" speakers if they look and sound better than their European or North American counterparts..

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 101
MA RS6 might be worth considering.....PSB T45 or T55 as well....

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 102
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_image_t45.htm

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 143
Ditto on the Monitor Audio RS6 - $999 US
Also, the Dali Icon 6.. $1299.00

Regarding the Monitor Audio RS6 -the review Arnold forwarded from Robert Reina of Stereophile should propel you into finding a MA dealer and auditioning. I did and was blown away with how great they sounded.
I would say they stack up against any speaker that I have personally heard under $2500. Have a listen and judge for yourself. For less than 1K they are a bargain.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1513
I would look Strongly to the Raw Acoustic HT-3,I think its handily ahead of anything in this pricerange and it competes very well in the $3000 pricerange its couple notches above everything else.Secondary choices would be the Onix RS450 Rockets,Usher V-602,Epos els 303,Wharfedale Diamond 9.5& 9.6,PSB T-45,Rega R3,Swan Diva 5.2's,and the Ohm Walsh Micro Tall's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us