CD, DVD-A, SA-CD DAC Audio Question

Bronze Member
Username: Cugine

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 31
What are the audio differences if a universal player has both an analogue and digital connection.

I ask this because in a recent review I read the author mentions the use of the analogue outlets of the player to send audio from the player to the receiver in order to experience the DVD-3930CI's DACs.

Does this mean that if you use the digital connection it will use the dacs on the receiver? I'm confused? Which is the preferred hookup method.

The review is here and its on page 3:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/denon-DVD-3930CI-DVD-player p1.php

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1151
Yes, if you use the digital connection, then an outboard DAC (or receiver) must process the signal. Unless, you use firewire connection (or Denonlink 3 with another Denon component) then SACD in particular can only be output with analogue connections. CD and DVD-A can be output through some HDMI connections . With a quality player like the 3930, usually it would have better dac's than that of a receivers.

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 32
Thanks M.R.!

I have separates and I plan on using the digital connection with my universal player.

Pre-AMP: Outlaw Model 990
AMP: Outlaw Model 7700 7-channel Balanced Amplifier

How do those outboard DAC's stack up compared to the 3930CI? I was thinking about going with a less expensive universal player (cambridge DV89 and rely on my preamp/amp to do all the work. Am I wrong with this approach?

I am less concerned with the video output and care more around the sound quality of sa-cd/dvd-a. My sony dvd player has pristine video quality imo already.

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1153
I haven't tried outboard (standalone) dac's, Danny. I have a DVD3910 and it does an admirable job - better than the Marantz SR7300's DAC's. You'll need the analogue connections anyway for sacd so you'll be able to compare. I hear the DV89 does a very decent job for the money - it gets very good reviews. But you have some good gear there so you'll need a source of comparable quality to do it justice.

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 33
Sorry I don't mean standalone. I meant to my particular preamp. I like the 3930CI. It has received great reviews and compared to the flagship denon 5910. The price is the only thing that I don't like lol.

Why do they make you use an analogue connection for sa-cd? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of hi-def sound?

Thanks
Danny

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1155
Well, it doesn't provided there are quality dac's and cables employed. I enjoy great sound using analogue connections on my kit. Those who control SACD (Sony) are yet to grant permissions (after years they haven't done so except for Denon link and IEfirewire I think) for the signals to be transferred digitally.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4622
M.R. give good advice, Danny. All I would add; just try the two methods and see which sounds better.

The basic thing to understand is that information from a CD or any optical disc is digital, and has to go throught a Digital-to-Analogue Converter before it can be amplified and then fed (as analogue) to an amp and on to loudspeakers. Which DAC is better, in the player or in the receiver/amp, you will be able to tell, if there is any difference at all.

SACD and DVD-A formats require that the player DAC is used in most cases. That is for DRM reasons rather than technical ones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us