ERA Acoustics......just how good are these speakers ???

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 75
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=488110 and http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rspkr&1160330115&read&3&4&

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 267
ERA are among the best "sub-sat" style speaker systems on the market from what I have read and heard. In a small room for music listening, you may not even need the subwoofer if you can forgo bass below 50Hz or so.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
I am just repeating. I do not have experience with them. Art had an Era sub at one time, and loved it.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1510
The Era's are very good on their own as a matter of fact they have the most gutsy bass I've ever heard for a speaker their size,they will shock you and their soundstage is collosal with pinpoint imaging,one of the very best speakers I've ever heard at that price.The 4 and 5 are giant killers and with Micheal Kelly behind their design well actually he designed their drivers from scratch and incase people dont know who he is,he's the man behind Aerial Acoutics the man who brought us that awsome 20T.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4042
Exactly right Tawaun. The Subs are awesome as well. They are a formidable force and an unbelievable value. They make a center channel as well. Keep your eyes open as new products are due from them soon. I had a couple of lengthy discussions with David Solomon (Signal Path) some time back when I owned the Era sub and he's a great guy who seems dedicated to bringing these fine products to us.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1514
Era has floorstander,coming in mid year,it will be awsome,hey Art do you still have the Era sub?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4104
Nope...I have been around the world trying to replace that bad boy.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 99
I listened to some of these speakers the other day and I was SHOCKED! These speakers are some of the best sounding on the market at ANY PRICE.... I'm waiting for the Floorstanding speakers to come out in June......

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 457
Randy,

you would think that KLH 911B would beat a Wilson Audio WAMM system in bass handling and dynamics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1550
Art you might wanna check out the ACI subs.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4402
I have a great sub now TW. About a month ago I bought a REL R205 and am quite pleased with it.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 86
Art that is a sweet sub!!! well double sweet on the sound and the looks did you get the cherry finish??? Friend of mine was raving about their subs not sure of the model but in any event they are a little to rich for my blood!!!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4403
It only came in gloss black when I bought it.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 92
oh ok its prob a newer option i just love the real wood look lol http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/prod_r205.htm

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4408
It is a newer option....bummer.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 178
An Era post! I just picked up a pair of Era Design 5's about three weeks ago- They are currently blasting away in my basement at hour number 125 of a 200 hour break-in. Yes, they need to be broken-in that long IMO-
I had bought some Paradigm Studio 20's v.3's from the same store on close-out for $500, but ended-up taking them back and after hearing the Era 5's, snatched them up. In Feb of this year my wife got me a HSU Research sub the VTF-2 mk3 (?) the one that they had on special for $400.00-Anyway, I have that in the system and when I had the Era's in my listening room on stands to try them out after 100 hours of break-in, I really liked what I heard. I took them to a local store here to get a second opinion and had the salesman hook them up to a Lexicon receiver and Esoteric CD player. Everything was connected with high-priced Nordost interconnects and speaker cable (don't remember which ones) We first played Patricia Barber and he looked at me within 30 seconds and said, you paid what for these???? (list $900 - paid $750) He said they had to be the best sounding mini-monitor he had ever heard for in the sub-$2000 range. For kicks we compared them with some Revel Monitors M22's (I think) that go for $2200 a pair and while they were a tiny bit more refined, I felt good about my quick purchase of the Era's when he told me that you have to spend about 3 times as much to get better sound.
Now, one caveat about these speakers, well, it's really not a caveat per se, but rather a point that needs to be kept in mind: The aforementioned Lexicon unit is rated at 140 watts a channel and when we were listening to the Era's through it, the volume was way cranked-up. Era's are co-promoted with Musical Fidelity gear and that company subscribes to the "watts are cheap" school of thinking. (MF watts are not cheap, especially when you factor in the crappy dollar to pound exchange-rate that never seems to change) Feed these things some watts and you will be rewarded with one kick-butt speaker for the money. Just be sure to break them in before you judge 'em.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4411
They are a fabulous speaker which I've listened to many times with various amplification. They are a very refined speaker for the dollar. They pair well with their Sub 10. As you stated you really need power to drive these speakers as they are very inefficient. I've listened to them with a Rotel integrated and they never really got off the ground. If your not a volume freak they sound very good with moderately powered tube amps. Thanks for the update.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 94
I'm very intrested in this speaker its a little outta my price range. But i'm hearing everyone raving about it!!! It's cheaper than what a new pair of 20's will cost me for sure. But with its low effieciency that i see on the specs how much will i need to power it??? Sound like the 50w outta the A25.2 that i was looking at won't cut it will a CA640 do the job??? or will i prob have to get an ext amp if i go that route??? it is a 6ohm speaker right???

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6549
Chico, I wouldn't touch this speaker with out a large, fast, expensive amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6550
Like a Classe ca200...bare, bare minimum.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 190
Exactly. When I bought them I knew that I would be making the upgrade to a more powerful amp.
Otherwise, I would have bought something else.
I was thinking that 150 watts would be enough, but today I brought them into a dealer in Dayton and we powered them with Conrad-Johnson Integrated ($6000) which was rated at 200 and that actually provided the kind of power you would want to make them sound their best. I don't think you need to spend 6k to get it, but man did they sound good. The A5 Musical Fidelity would do the trick at 250 watts, Those could be had for, I think $2500.
This is going to get expensive-quick

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 96
Ouch so no era d5 for me lol mfidelity is a quite outta my budget for now......what about the d4??? I'd need something in the same ball parks as well?? Conrad bryston and classe??? ouch

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 195
stay away from Era for now then
I would look at Triangle stuff if I were you.
You can always get the Era's (I like and have the 5's)later. The audiophile bug is a virus and will be with you forever making you want to change out gear and upgrade all of the time..If you're like me. Plan on it getting expensive!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6561
Oh God add 20% to expensive.

Although I got my Classe kit at a very very good price. Check the profile, I paid 5k cdn with the Trans DAC and all.

Deals do happen, but usually in the shop, not online.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 197
Well spoken Nuckster...

Username: Bhd

Post Number: 2
FWIW, I think the notion that you have to get a 200W amp and spend some $2000 to be happy with the D5s (the "bare, bare minimum" comment) is way over-the-top. I'm running a pair of D5s with an Onkyo A-9555 (rated at 95W/ch., and lists at $700), and am quite happy with the combination. I chose them over the Paradigm Studio 20s, and have not regretted the decision.

If I were you, I'd give Signal Path a call and talk to them. They seem quite honest about the kinds of amplifiers that do well with the Era speakers.

Ultimately, of course, it comes down to your own ears.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4444
David Solomon is a nice guy but like most of them he'll sell you whatever you will buy and so I think it's bit disengeuous to say that Signal Path will be "quite honest" about it. Like I said I listened critically to the 5's with a Rotel integrated amp (and then later a Musical Fidelity) and it was not enough to do them justice. The Rotel's power supply is far better than that of the Onkyo you speak of.

Once I heard the 5's with more powerful amps I knew the difference. A great deal of your perceptions about gear are tied into your expectations. The Era's performed quite nicely with the Rotel but were far better with higher quality amplification. Also how much volume you need is a key element.

The Era's really will take you to the promised land, but to get there you will need to give them a fair shot with a good source and quality amplification.

Username: Bhd

Post Number: 3
That's fine Art. To say they will do better with better, more powerful, amplification and source gear is one thing, and totally reasonable.

But to say (as I think others in this thread did) that one shouldn't even consider the Eras without being willing to shell out a couple/few thousand dollars for an amplifier is quite another thing, and I think just wrong.

Of course the Signal Path guys are going to be biased, but they have also commented in public on the need for good amplification, and a bit on what they think that means. Am just saying it can't hurt to hear their thoughts on it.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 202
IF you want to get the BEST sound out of the Era's, you want to give them good clean power.
Yes, it can be done for less than 2k- But in my mind to take a speaker such as the Era's to the next sonic level, you have to spend more money. IMO the "sweet spot" where value meets performance is stuff in 2K-3K range. For example, The MF A5, Rogue Audio, Nu Force. There's a huge sonic difference between an A/V reciever imo, when you cram that many multi-functional components into one box, there's going to be a limit to the fidelity. This goes from the $5000 Lexicon A/V receiver, to the Japanese stuff (Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon) we've all heard. I heard the Era's at a store that was powering them with a Yamaha V-659 receiver that had a hard time keeping up. Is the Yamaha a bad piece of equipment? Absolutely not. However, there are going to be limits to what a $500 reciever is going to be able to do.
Jumping up the Yamaha foodchain into the Yamaha V-2600 for example, IMO would not do anymore justice to the Era's as far as better power than the aforementioned Lexicon would. Now the Lexicon did sound pretty good, it was paired with a $6000 Esoteric cd player and Nordost cables that cost more than my first car. But when your sharing you power supply with 5 other channels there's going to be a trade-off to the actual amount of power you're really getting.
The Lex was rated at 140 wpc, but we had it cranked way up.
Anyway, when I mentioned above that you need to spend 2-3k to get to the next level, that was the next level that I want to get to. I've heard the sonic nirvana and I'm not looking back! With that said, you can give the Era's what they need for less money. Case in point: If you live near a dealer that will allow you to audition gear before buying, take home a NAD 372 ($999- 150 TRUE watts per channel) integrated or the like- and hear for yourself what I'm talking about. You run the risk of instantly shelling out some extra clams for new gear- but you will experience a world of difference to your current set-up. And your Era's will thank you with better sound.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 208
The Era 5's after 130 hours of break-in, have finally come into their own!

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 99
So i'm just kinda wondering the long and short, of what i'm gathering here is that I could use less power and enjoy these speakers but give them what they really crave and i'll love them.

Personally I was looking at a used rotel rb-1070.
My major problem is that i dont like you guys have the luxury or sheer pleasure of audiitioning at the least in the store far less at home due to my location. But i'll continue doing some research.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 211
Absolutely. I would look at a refurbed NAD 352 from Spearitsound.com or keep your eyes open for a pre-owned unit from Audiogon.com I believe I saw one last night on there that was a week old being sold for $449 (list $599) They are rated at 80 watts a channel into 8 ohms and more into 6 ohms (the Era's are 6 ohm speakers) The web NAD web site does not mention the exact specification, but I would guess at least 100 true watts a channel. IMO, this amp would have no problem powering the ERA's.
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, if I were looking for the most bang for the buck in giving them what they crave, my dollar would be spent on the NAD 372, which is rated at 150 watts a channel. It's basically the same amp as the 352, but with more power. Again check spearitsound.com and see what they have them at refurbed or watch audiogon.com for a nice unit to come along preowned. I like the Rotel stuff, but you I think in regards to the Era power requisite, your budget would be better served with a more powerful amp than the Rotel's 60 wpc. Great amp though, especially paired with the 1062 cd player.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6636
http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rb1070.htm

Over 175 @6 ohms.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 217
I stand corrected Nuck. I was thinking of the 1072 integrated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6640
I knew, Uback.
Did Chico catch it?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 219
"Rotel" is your new middle name!

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 102
Well that sounds quite like the a more affordable way to go for meno i have to put some cash aside for those and hope can find a used amp in my price range after july after I get back from my vacation. lol what about parasound with era?? just wondering

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 222
I like Parasound. Even have considered the Halo stuff like the A-23 amp and P-3 Pre combo recently. Who knows? may end up going that route.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1552
Just get a good push pull tubed amp,Melody would be very very high on my list,along with Cayin,the Prima Luna gear,Alarrmo,Conisence,the Era's love tubes,and without them you just wont get that midrange and soundstaging magic,solid state just wont provide that no matter what the power rating is.Most big box companies sensitivety is overrated from the factory and it is generally highly over hyped and they usually measure a bunch lower than the stated figure,Era is giving you the honest rating dont crunch on those numbers so much,they are not that difficult to power they dont have wild impediance curves like a B&W would.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 236
excellent point TW- I have not thought about it that way. Which model of Era do you have?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1555
Neither,but I've heard them several times on several different setups,but I would'nt mind adding the Design 5&4 to the collection.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 242
I am listening to them as I write this: Jamie Callum "Chasing Tails" cd- excellent
They are incredible speakers- can't wait to upgrade my components to match their potential.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 243
correction: Jamie Cullum cd

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 108
jamie cullum you have some decent taste uback i enjoy his '30something'......but on a more related note how does the CA640 sound using it as a pre???? and getting a more powerful amp

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 245
I have not used the 640a as a dedicated preamp yet and will probably never get around to doing it- my 640 is going up on Audiogon very soon. I have been bitten by the hi-fi bug and am looking at upgrades.

Username: Meatspin

Not a clue how good they are. Are they sold at BestBuy?

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 57
I got the chance to hear the Era 5's today. I came away very impressed. The soundstage was great, and the bass was simply amazing. They did everything I could want in a bookshelf. Unfortunately the power requirements may be a deal breaker. They look stunning to boot.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 248
what did you hear them powered by?

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 109
well i'd like to know as well what was powering them

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 110
How do the d4 compare to the d5??? I imagine the have less bass response and imagine since its a smaller speaker......but what speaker would they be on par with

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 58
I heard the D5's on Rotel gear. Not sure what models. The Cd player was a Rotel 192??

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 252
they are smaller (the D4) than the D5, cabinet size is larger and the driver is larger. Therefore they go lower. I believe down to 50hz
Compareable speakers that I have heard: Dynaudio 52's, Revel M22's ($2200 a pair), B&W 704, Totem Mani 2's - I have said before that I would put them up against ANY loudspeaker that I've heard 2k and under.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6802
Uback, the mani 2's would require a lot more power to shine.
I liked the M22's with 45w Cary tube mono's, but at a price.

Frank A runs the Mani 2's, with outstanding power numbers.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 253
Nuck,

Absolutely. The Mani's were being powered by 2 NuForce 9 SE monoblocks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6805
That should do it.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 254
it did too.
I really like the NuForce stuff.. Have been looking at the integrateda amp of theirs

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 112
Was wondering uback you were comparing the mani's and b7W with the d5 i take it??? what are the would be competition on for the d4??? not price wise but more sonically... imaging soundstage bass response. Has anyone heard the psb stratus mini's

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 256
I would not be able to answer that

Username: Buzzy

Post Number: 1
FYI:
http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/107era/

I didn't notice for a long time that they also have a Flat Panel series. Similar to lots of others, so not as interesting as the Design series, but FYI.
http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid =45

Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Era speakers don't impress me much for the money. Their subs are a different story.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4756
I like their speakrs but feel that there are better, as you stated their subs are a different story. I owned the Sub 10 until a few months ago. Funny, I just got an email from the gentleman who bought it from me, nice fella.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4757
I must admit though Bill I sure like the Era speakers better than Ascends...just me, to each his own. I just checked your profile and noticed that you own the Sub 10...is that a hefty sub or what. I was going to go subless which is the only reason I sold mine. I like the sub I have now as well as my old Era but certainly not any better.

Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 5
The Ascends are not perfect speakers, it took me a good month to get used to them really. Now when I listen to other speakers under $1K I really appreciate what an unbelievable value they are.

Am still in love with my Sub 10. Oomph and precision in one package, I am still in love!

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 273
I'm getting ready to put my immaculate Rosewood Era 5's up on Audiogon- They are 10 out of 10 speakers with both inner and outer boxes, instructions, (spikes, rubber feet-never used in boxes) If you all know of anyone that is interested in getting a set of these, let me know. Amazing speaker for the money! I am moving up to the floorstanders, so I need to part with these. Cobyutterback@hotmail.com

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4761
What floorstanders are you buying Uback?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 274
most likely the new Era Floorstanders :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4762
Ahh!!

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 275
Art, I'm selling them for $750.00 -Shipped free to the lower 48. Let me know if you know of anyone that would want them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4764
Fabulous speaker, wouldn't go well with my system but I'll certainly ask around.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 59
I am surprised that some of you werent impressed with the Era speakers. I found them to be some of the best in the under 2k I have heard.

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 60
of course I own them so I am probably bias

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4772
Please don't misunderstand Patrick I think that Era's are a wonderful speaker. You just need a monster amp to get the most from them.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 121
Well uback if you were selling them anytime after august i would gladly take them off your hands. Have some other things to tackle between now and then......... art you mean like a music fidelity??? or a classe

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 61
Hi Art,
You know I half agree. I think they certainly would benefit from a monster amp, but I think they will do fine from a pretty decent amp. I don't think you need to spend 2k on an amp to drive them.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 276
They were being powered by a Jolida Hybrid JD1501RC integrated amp rated at 100wpc with no problems before I boxed them up. Far and away a better suited amp than my Cambrdge 640A
If anyone is interested they are now on Audiogon.com

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 280
Ok, the Era's are gone and I've just been informed the Era Floostanders that I have my eye on are going to be indefinitely delayed in being on the market(according to my dealer) so here I am having to listen to my kit with my 1st pair of speakers that got me back into the audio: Paradigm Titan v.4's - You know these speakers are really not bad for the $200 I paid for them. They are not near as quick as the Era's- that's for sure, but like the Mordant-Short 902's I listened to recently, they are fun little speaker. I will be saving these speakers for my son to take to college in 16 years. ANYWAY, I need to get me some speakers! Will probably make the foray into floorstanders. Who knows? Any suggestions for great bang for the buck speakers that would pair up with the Jolida hybrid and Apollo cdp?
I've been considering Triangle Heliades, which you can get some great deals on. I'm open to suggestions though. The Era's were pretty nice, so I have probably set the bar high. :-)

Bronze Member

MA

Post Number: 65
I have heard the Triangle's many times, and even own the Titus model. I really like them, but they seem to be a speaker that gets attacked pretty regularly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us