Question about noise problem

Username: Lo2

Croydon, Surrey

Post Number: 1
Hi,

i have a JVC home cinema AV/Reciever amp ( I am aware I am not in the same league as most people here :-) )

As the amp warms up it starts to buzz. Getting steadily louder. This is the actual unit buzzing, not the Speakers. Really I am just wondering if it is worth repairing ( Unit originally cost £800, inc of speakers and a DVD unit )
I ask because when it is working fine it is superb. And I hope to somebody here my problem will be blindingly obvious.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9765

If the noise occurs from the amplifier itself and not through the speakers, the likely culprit is a power transformer. If the problem has occurred over the life of the unit and not been present from the get go, there might be a solution. As to cost, a repair shop can probably give you an estimate for a small amount of money and would apply that cost to any repairs you decide to make.

Croydon, Surrey

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan

The problem has started to occur in the last month, and does emminate from the actual unit.

I think I will chance a repair, the unit has served me well.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4620
I had a problem like this, once, and it was just the mounting of the power transformer, where the single central mounting bolt of the toroidal tranformer had somehow worked loose. I tightened it half a turn and the buzz went away.

So, open it up, and see if anything is loose enought to rattle or buzz. Standard warnings against electrocution etc. Either power off, or observe from a safe distance, and let capacitors discharge fully before touching anything.

Croydon, Surrey

Post Number: 3
I will definately be giving that a try John.
That would really be the cheap option.

I am technically competent so won't be a problem.

Thanks for advice.

Croydon, Surrey

Post Number: 4
Well,

Thanks to you both, especially John.
I took some time and dismantled my setup.
Removed the lid and found 3 years of dust clogging up a fan. Having given this a thorought clean all now appears well.

Happily during the reconnect process I also found I had incorrectly fitted my digital video cable previously. So I am now enjoying digital video to boot. ( Only paid a kings ransom for the leads when I got the system way back when, to now find I have never been using them )

Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4621
It's a pleasure to read that, Paul.

Thanks for posting back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us