Denon AVR3000 - will it work?

Username: Docutech

Post Number: 1
I am setting up a home theater in my home and was wondering if it will do the job. Granted it is 15 years old, it is a very powerful receiver. I have had it since day one and it has performed flawlessly. The only thing that I am concerned about is it's ability or lack there of to decode a dts signal.

I would appreciate any feedback on this unit, pros and cons alike. I have looked at some new Denon receivers, however, money saved would go towards a new set of 5.1 surround speakers.

Thank you in advance.
Pete

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9753

There were no Dolby Digital nor DTS capable receivers fifteen years ago. Your receiver probably has Dolby Pro Logic surround capacity, if you're lucky. Time has moved on.

Only you can decide whether it's time to buy a new receiver. Depending on your dedication to home theater, there is little comparison between the discrete signal capability of DD or DTS processing vs. a totally matrixed signal from Pro Logic. By the year 2009 the mandate is for all major network TV shows to be broadcasting in digital format with a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

Post Number: 2
Jan, thank you for the reply.

Yes, my receiver has Dolby Pro Logic. When you say: "discrete signal capability of DD or DTS processing vs. a totally matrixed signal from Pro Logic" do you mean that there is little audible difference between them?

The more time I spend here, the more I lean towards an upgrade. With all the new technology comes new innovation which sadly is not available in my old receiver. I am about to pull the trigger on a HD television (Samsung LN-S4695D) and would like to have the true digital sound to go with it.
Then it is a matter of speakers...ugh!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5843
Dear 'Checkbook Pete':
Yes you will likely need a new receiver to go with the tv.
And a DVD player.
And Speakers.

If i may, there might be a chqance to bypass a lot of the 5.1 stuff, which may not be all that great, depending on your budget.

Consider a good stereo. 2 speakers. 2 channel amp. 2 speakers.
You might have a chance to move up in sound quality at the same time.
Depending on your room, I hope you will consider this route.
2 channel=GOOD sound for = $$$

Post Number: 3
LOL @ "Checkbook Pete'

Well, I have been saving and I have about 10K for my project (including the TV) so... I think I am going to go with another Denon. AVR987P mabe?. I love the Marantz but they are just a tad out of my price range. I need money left over for a decent 6.1 speaker system.

Nuck, do you have any suggestions for speakers to match this Denon(AVR987P)receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9757

There is an appreciable difference in sound quality between Pro Logic and either of the discrete formats. Go listen for yourself in a good dealer's showroom.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 23
"Consider a good stereo. 2 speakers. 2 channel amp. 2 speakers.
You might have a chance to move up in sound quality at the same time.
Depending on your room, I hope you will consider this route.
2 channel=GOOD sound for = $$$"

If you are looking to set up a "home theatre" in the conventional sense of that phrase, then Nuck's advice makes little sense. While a decent stereo system is something to be desired, you will simply not experience the depth and nuance in movies that a multi-channel system will provide from a conventional stereo setup, regardless of how sophisticated its components. Regardless of how wide the soundstage, a two channel setup will not allow you to hear Luke Skywalker's fighter come up from behind you. Take Jan's advice and listen for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1183
Pete:

I would concur with the others that your old Denon receiver has been lapped several times by the march of technology. What Jan is trying to say is that your current receiver with only Pro-Logic takes two channels and by delivering different mixes of those two channels, it manufacturers five channels (this is what is meant by "matrixed" sound). However, the newer receivers, using either Dolby Digital or DTS formats actually delivers 6 different channels (five plus subwoofer) to the six different speakers--thus the channels are "discrete" rather than just being mixes of two channels (matrixed). Ultimately, there is a huge difference in the sound as discrete is far better than matrixed, and even if you want to listen to matrixed sound, the newer Pro-Logic II (a format available in all current products) is a quantum leap over the older Pro-Logic you are currrently limited to.

If you have $10K for a home theater project, you are absolutely wasting your time and money buying another Denon receiver. That type of budget calls for a nice set of seperates, which will sound audibly better and will provide greater flexibility. Let me suggest that you look into getting a package from Outlaw Audio, such as the 970/7125 which is only $1598, which is not that much more than the Denon you are looking at. If you want to stay within your budget, however, look at the Outlaw 1070 receiver--it is only $899 and it also is light years better than the Denon. Either way, you order it from Outlaw and get 30 days to try it in your home--if you don't like it, you just send it back for a refund. It is great gear:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/

I would suggest that the better the TV you get, the better your amp should be--there are few things that are as disconcerting to me than a big tv with little tinny sound. I really believe that if you went with the seperates, you could get a fine speaker system for around another $1500 (including subwoofer) and still have plenty of money left for a great tv and dvd player.

How big is your room?

Post Number: 7
Hawk,
Thank you for the abundance of great information. I have decided on my new components, speakers and the television. Most items are ordered and on their way.

My room is 15x20. This is what I decided with.

TV
52inch Samsung LCD1080p(My original choice was the 46 inch but I decided to spend the extra $)

Denon AVR2807

Axiom Speakers-M60, QS4, VP150 Center, EP350 Sub and a M22 for rear center.

Samsung upconvert DVD player

Panamax MAX5400 Power conditioner

Logitech H1000 universal remote.

I am debating on a separate amp for music but have not decided yet what my choice will be. I am under budget for my project so that is a good thing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us