Question

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 62
I currently have a pair of Polk Rti8's paired with a Yamaha htr-5740 receiver(I have the treble low because its a bit bright). I am planning on getting the HK3480 stereo receiver. My question is ...what more will I be getting out of the rti8's? is 35 more watts going to do me any better, and will the tones improve etc.? Give me some changes that I might expect with the HK3480 over my current yamaha. thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9754

"Give me some changes that I might expect with the HK3480 over my current yamaha."

Eh, ... less channels?!

Thirty five watts is a minimal difference in almost any comparison. What you will likely hear is a better built amplifier in the HK. How that translates to what you listen for is anybody's guess. We don't know you so there is no way to predict what you will hear. Some folks don't hear any major differences between amplifiers (particularly amplifiers built into receivers) while others hear significant improvements when subtituting a better built amplifier. I certainly wouldn't commit my funds to a purchase until I had auditioned the HK alongside the Yamaha to determine what I can hear.

I'm just curious, how did you decide to buy the HK if you don't know what improvement you will be getting?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1144
I think it will eliminate some of the brightness with the Yamaha.

You could also consider just adding an external amplifier, might be just as cost effective and offer further improvements in bass response from the 10s over what the 3480 will give.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5839
Tommy, the HK will knock the edge offa the Yamaha's presentation.
However, you really should try a HK in your room first. I like them. You may not.
Most HK receivers are actually lacking in treble attuativeness, my speakers had metal domes and I found them lacking the 'sparkle' with the last HK receiver I had.
Note* I have a high tone hearing loss.

I added a Rotel power amp and things seemed just about right.

Then I tore it down and bought something else.

What does a snail say when it rides on a turtle's back?

Weeeeeeeeee!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9758

"attuativeness"

?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 94
I'm a guy around here who should be asking questions, not asking them, but...

I demoed a HK 435 vs. a Yamaha HTR 5860 in my home with Ascend speakers (note: soft-dome tweeters), and the HK blew the Yamaha away. Nuck's comments about pairing the HK with metal tweeters is interesting to me though and something to think about... (Don't know what the Polk's have)... as I'm looking to maybe replace an Hk 3480 that I have paired in my other system with metal tweeter Boston VR2s.

Username: Pistons07

Post Number: 1
IS there any websites for the leatest dish network keys that u can help me with

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1284
Wrong area. Go to Home Video, Satellite TV.

Hey Tomasulo, I currently have an HTR-5740 paired with KLH (Yes, KLH ) AV5001s that I got free (so why not?) and JBL 4311 control monitors. I can tell that it's OBVIOUSLY bright. The fact that the JBLs are very revealing just makes matters worse. Also, the JBLs sound awesome paired to my Scott Receiver showing the Yamaha's inferiority. This is why I'm considering upgrading to a Pioneer Elite Vsx-82Txv or 81. The problem is, the funds go toward either an 18" (130dB at 25hz 1 meter) subwoofer and a 2400w amp to power it OR the Pioneer Elite, which would cost about the same.

The question is, do I want to shake my house (and me) to pieces with extreme bass (which will last a few years), or do I want a quality, dependable receiver which is way better than my Yammy in every way? We'll be moving and will have a larger dedicated HT room sometime in the future so I could make my own IB subwoofer for that and get this receiver to power the speakers to their full potential and also it has loads more features (phase alignment, eq for every channel, MCCAC, etc)

Man...Decisions...Decisions... Can you guys help me out on this one? I've got plenty of time to make an educated decision.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us