Post Number: 20
Here is my system:

System:

Pre-AMP: Outlaw Model 990
AMP: Outlaw Model 7700 7-channel Balanced Amplifier

Paradigm Millenia 300 Series Pair for the front
Paradigm Millenia 30 Series for the Center Channel
Paradigm Millenia 20 Series Pair for the Rear

I don't have a cd/dvd-audio/sacd player yet. I don't have a huge cd collection now. I plan to start a new collection with my new system.

1. What format should I go with for best quality to compliment my new system? I'm looking for a top of the line system that won't be a bottleneck for the rest of my components. I listen to mostly classic rock.

2. What Player(s) should I purchase? Do I need to purchace more than one or are there universal type players?

I'm a little behind on the times when it comes to audio and I need some guidance thanks.

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3956
If you want a fabulous universal with very little outlay I would look at the Cambridge DV89. Super buy!

Bronze Member
Username: Cugine

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 22
Looks like my Sony DVD player can actually play SA-CD multi-channel playback. I forgot all about it. Model: DVP-NS975V. The dvd video upscale works great. I haven't tried an SA-CD on it. Should I use this or would this be my weakest link?

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3957
It would be the WEAKEST LINK! Especially for redbbok cd playback.

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 24
Is SA-CD the highest quality music format? If so, I don't plan to play red book (audio cd standard) cd's as often. Mostly DVD-A and SA-CD.

I was looking at the Sony DVP-NS3100ES/B and the DVP-NS9100ES/B. How would you say these compare to the Cambridge? The 9100 is quite a bit more expensive and I can't really see a major difference except it has iLink which I don't even know what that is lol.

Thanks,
Danny

9100:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DVPNS9100ES%2fB&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=ha v_DVD_DVDPlayers

3100:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DVPNS3100ES%2fB&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=ha v_DVD_DVDPlayers

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1176
Danny:

I have the same Sony DVD player you have and to tell you the truth, I was pretty disappointed in the SACD playback. So much so, that when comparing it head to head with a redbook CD of the same recording, I preferred the playback of the redbook CD using Dolby Pro-Logic II. Note, when playing the SACD, I had to use the players internal DACs since the SACD and DVD-A both require an analog output to the receiver. Conversely, when using the DVD player for CD playback, I use a digital connection to my NAD receiver, thus reducing my Sony to merely being a transport. My NAD receiver, which has excellent DACs, really makes the redbook CDs shine, so the end result is that poor SACD playback is no competition for a redbook CD played through high quality DACs. I am not very keen on Sony's for CD playback of any kind.

Secondly, a word of warning. when I bought my sony, it was with the thought that this would be a high resolution format that would displace regular CDs for listening, but that has not been the case. In addition to the playback problem noted above, I have found it to be very difficult to find either SACDs or DVD-As locally. Both Tower Records and Music Plus are gone, and Best Buy merely offers one stand of either high res format recordings, and that stand is not well stocked. Yes, I can hunt on Amazon and CD Universe, but there simply aren't a lot of recordings out there in either format. Like the previous hi-res format, HDCD, it appears that neither camp has succeeded in convincing consumers that either SACD or DVD-As are a compelling enough format to buy. I have a Rotel CD player that does play HDCDs, and although I could hear an improvement, apparently it wasn't enough for most people because the HDCD discs have all but disappeared. I have about a dozen or so in that format and it doesn't appear I will be able to find any more.

If you want a universal player, I like Art's idea of the Cambridge DVD-89, which will support both SACD and DVD-Audio. I note that it is an upconverting DVD player (if that interests you) and it has DVI output, which would match the DVI inputs on your new pre/pro. Here is a link:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CADV89

Alternatively, another player in the same price range is the NAD T534, which does CDs, DVDs and DVD-As, but not SACD (Both NAD and Rotel have argued that it is impossible to provide high quality SACD sound on the cheap from a technical point of view--NAD's player that does SACD has an MSRP of $1199, so the street price is about $950)). The T534 does, however, produce superb sound for both CDs and DVD-As and can be purchased for about $400:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/dvd-players/T534-DVD/DVD-Audio-Player

There are a number of other universal players now on the market, but many that I have heard sound rather poor to me. What I hear is a very flat, two dimensional sound, that has no depth to the soundstage. If you go looking for one of these, make sure you listen before you buy and be certain that it has some depth to the soundstage--otherwise, I fear you will end up rather dissatisfied.

Good luck, my friend!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3969
Another decent player is the Denon DVD1930CI. I doubt it will match the Cambridge pound for pound but it's still a very good bargain. It's weakest point would likely be redbook playback and it's strongest would be DVD video and DVA-A.

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 25
The one thing that I am worried about is the quality of the cambridge dvd video compared to my sony. It mentions upconverting to 720p but I do not see any mention of 1080i. My sony dvd player upconverts to 720p and 1080i. I could always keep my sony around just to play dvd video but if possible, I would rather consolidate it into one device.

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 26
Hi Hawk and Art,

I'd like to retract my last post. My 60" LCD has a native resolution of 1386x788 and not 1920x1200.

The display is much better at 720p due to being much closer to the native resolution. This is what I watch my dvds at.

Anyway, it looks like the Cambridge DV89 is a winner. Thanks for the advice, I'll be picking one up as soon as my speakers arrive. Two weeks is a long time!

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3980
Keep us updated. Enjoy!

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 30
I haven't made a purchase yet. I am still waiting for my system to arrive. Anyway, I have been doing more reading on universal players and I came across this link that ranked the top 8 universal players. Do you guys agree or disagree with this review? I don't see the Cambridge listed there.

1) Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi Universal DVD Player with HDMI Interface

2) Pioneer Elite DV-46A Universal DVD Player with HDMI Interface

3) OPPO Digital DV-970HD DVD Player with HDMI output and SACD/DVD-Audio Playback

4) Marantz DV6600 Universal DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio Player

5) Integra DPC-8.5 Universal DVD Player

6) Onkyo DV-SP502 Universal DVD Player

7) Denon DVD-3910 Universal DVD Player

8) Yamaha DVD-S1500 Universal DVD Player

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/tp/aatpdvdasacda.htm

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1150
The Denon 3910 is now superceded by the DVD-3930 which is almost the 5910 making it wonderful value for money. Excellent audio quality in cd, sacd, DVD-a and has probably the best video performance for anywhere near the money. Also, you may get the 3910 for decent price and from your list, that's what I'd choose. Which I did.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us