I have to get rid of my Totem Staafs

Bronze Member
Username: Restlesstimes

Washington , DC United States

Post Number: 32
I just moved into a MUCH smaller place and need to go to a bookshelf speaker. Not sure if it makes more sense to go up to to the Model 1 or down to the Rainmakers. I think the Rainmakers have a better bottom end, but the Model 1 has a more accurate bottom end (less boomy)

anyone else familiar with these two? Frank?

FYI, I am using the new Bel Canto e.One S300iu integrated amp. 150wpc 8 Ohms and 300 4 Ohms

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1496
Believe me,it makes a bunch of since to go up to the Model 1 Signature,their on a much different level than the Rainmakers.Everything the Model 1s do are a result of what you have behind them,the Rainmaker doesent do anything even remotely close to what the Model 1s can.Now keep in mind it depends on a few important factors,here are the questions im gonna ask you and be honest with me and most importantly be honest with yourself.What eletronics do you have? Do you plan on upgrading your electronics? And do you want the truth from your recordings? And are you a plug and play guy or do you like to fiddle around with your equipment,placement speakerwires,ect?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3954
I don't think that the Mira has the power to drive the most Totems to their best advantage. Obviously I really like your electronics since I own them as well and some folks feel that Totem and Rega pair well, I am not one of them. I would either consider upgrading components to match the Totems you want or consider speakers that better match your components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
First, I don't have the Mira anymore. I sold it via Audiogon and bought a Bel Canto S300iu. It is rated at 150wpc into 8 Ohms and 300 wpc into 4 Ohms. I also sold my Apollo and my source is Audio Files in Apple Lossless format from my iMac 24".

I am pretty much a plug in play kinda guy. I will play with speaker placement a little but if the best sound comes from placing my speakers in a strange place in my condo, like the middle of my floor, I wouldn't do it, nor would I pay a fortune for cables. Right now I have Straighwire Quartet biwired cables

As far as what type of sound I like, I just don't like it to sound like it is coming out of a box. I like a nice bottom end, but not boomy. I like a wide soundstage and crisp highs.

I mainly listen to stuff like Sade's Love Deluxe and Zero 7. A lot of electronica and some female vocal Jazz stuff.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4023
Oops...might want to update your profile.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4024
Oops again as I guess you already did. Sounds like a nice system. If you can stretch the budget to the Model 1's they really are special and far better than the Rainmaker, and at it's price I really like the Rainmaker.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1916
TK,

Sorry about not answering sooner - it's been a mess the last few days (wife's in hospital, sould be OK, we hope).

I don't see why (sonically) you think you need to go to smaller speakers. If you said you were now getting a really boomy sound then I'd understand, but all you've said is you're in a much smaller room and need bookshelf speakers. The other thing to bear in mind is that when you consider bookshelf speakers on stands, even Model-1s, you will be using a similar amount of floorspace as Sttafs. So only change the speakers if you are not happy with the sound - i.e. the speakers don't work in the room and are causing too much bass (typically).

The Model-1 is the speaker that made Totem what it is today and for good reason. It has a very fast, crisp, sound with excellent attack and almost no cabinet noise. It is a fabulous transducer. It is a little lean in the bass. If your room is around 12ft square or something like that, then the bass will be enough thanks to the room interaction. If the room is much larger than that (14ft or so), you may need to make sure the bass'll be enough for you. Everything else about the Model-1 is excellent. It has a remarkably sweet midrange and treble with great resolution and contrast. Your Bel Canto should have more than enough power to drive it with those numbers. Generrally, i think of the Model-1 as a significant upgrade from the Sttaf in that it doesn't have the cabinet colouration of the Sttaf, the drive unit noise (not a lover of the Sttaf drive units) since it has a Dynaudio main drive unit, and the metal dome tweeter (normally a nightmare) is beautifully controlled. Vince is one of the very few designers on the planet who makes metal dome drive units integrate well in my opinion.

Only consider the Rainmakers if you can't afford the Model-1. They're good, but nowhere near as good, and it seems like what you have is well capable of a fruitful relationship with the Model-1s.

So although you're being forced to make a change, there's a very good chance you'll be reaping the rewards!

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Frank,

thanks for taking the time to answer my post, especially with your spouse being ill. Hopefully she is on her way back towards a better state of health.

The reason I need bookshelf speakers is because I have moved from a house into a condo and space is a premium. That is why I need to get rid of the Sttafs. I am more than likely going to have to really put them on bookshelfs are on top of a sidebar in my living room.
I figured since I have to get rid of the floorstanding speakers, I might as well take the opportunity to upgrade and move up the Totem line and get the Model 1.
I initially loved the Sttafs but after I lived with them for a while, I think I liked the sound of the Rainmaker and the Model 1 better, then again, I have only heard them in the showroom and not in my place.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1924
TK,

I prefer the Rainmaker to the Sttaf. In my view the Sttaf is the weak model in the range.

I have never tried either the Rainmaker or the Model-1 on a real shelf. I have no idea how they will react, and this will also depend on the shelf itself. Is it possible for you to get proper wall mounts? Preferably without moving parts so it can be as rock solid as possible?

If not and you have to place them on the shelf, you should investigate somethign that decouples them from said shelf such as Partington Toppsers or Pulsar Points.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I went to my dealer and I have to say that The Model 1 and the Rainmaker both sound MUCH better on stands. So I am going to have to give up the floor space in my tiny little place. Now that I am giving up floor space, I might as well get a floorstander.

SO now it is Model 1 vs Hawks. I think both would be an upgrade from the Sttaf and when I throw in the price of stands they are about the same price.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1928
You couold just stick with the Sttafs then!

The Model-1 is better than the Hawks when sited on its stand in my view.

A floorstander is just a different compromise to the answer of how to design a speaker. You gain certain things and you lose certain things because of the extra cabinet size. Typically you gain in scale and extension, but you lose in terms of cabinet colouration and time smear. In fact, if the standmount is allowed to be pretty inefficient, its extension can approach that of a floorstander, without the downside of cabinet colouration. The Model-1 doesn't go as deep as the Hawk, but it gets close.

My point: don't get hung up on floorstander vs standmount. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Choose the one whose presentation you prefer.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Yeah, I could have just stuck with the Sttafs but they have already been sold. I was SO into making this condo look the way I wanted and with it being so small, I didn't want speakers taking up space. And, truth be told, I kind of wanted to upgrade anyway, so I sold them ASAP.
However, after thinking I figured with wall mounting the cable would have to be hidden in the wall to be attractive and on bookshelfs you are compromising sound and you have visible cable too boot. After auditioning I realized, I love my music too much to compromise so I have to make room.

As far as floorstander vs Bookshelf, the bottom end is very important to me. I like a lot of electronic, down-tempo, and broken-beat type stuff like Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Jazzanova, & 4hero, so I don't want to miss out on that bass. Not to mention good stands adds another $500.

SO............. I am going with the Forest

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1930
BI-I-I-G bass then! Enjoy...!

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
By the way, THANKS a ton for all the advice and information. I had NEVER heard of Totem before reading one of your posts on this forum. Before the Sttafs, the best speakers I had ever owned were a pair of Klipsch bookshelfs and a powered sub.

Thomas

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1932
My pleasure Thomas - you're welcome!

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
The Forest should be here sometime this week. I CAN NOT WAIT. I had to go with Mahogany. I really wanted Maple but I have to get a grip on my spending.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
WELL, they have arrived and the break-in period has started. I already like them better than my Staafs. I will post some pics tomorrow.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us