Marantz CC4300 Broken: Want an Alternative.

Bronze Member
Username: Thereverend

Post Number: 31
I just bought the Marantz CC4300 from AC4L and it is broken. I am going to send it back later this week. I asked for a replacement unit, but they are out of stock on this player all of a sudden, so I am just going to ask for a refund. I spent $150 on it, and I would like to spend close to the same, maybe somewhere upwards of $200 if necessary. I want something solid (i.e. well built) and with good sound quality. I am a value hunter, so used is fine, just as long as it will serve me well.

Thanks!

Colin

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3939
Spend a little more and get an NAD or Cambridge. They both make good players that retail near $300 and can be had for less.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1175
I would agree with Art. You can get the NAD 525bee CD player for about $240 or less. Big improvment over the Marantz, IMO. I know you can get a Cambridge for about another $40, also a big improvement over the Marantz.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1123
I wouldn't say the 525bee is big improvement over the CC4300 (one of the best sounding changers around relative to price imho), but an improvement all the same - though on those mentioned above you are getting a single disc player. If you can get C542 around your budget, you would be getting into significently better player territory, albeit at the lower end. Changers are not renowned for great SQ or reliability.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3962
I have to agree with Hawk that the 525BEE represents a pretty big leap over the CC4300 which was a pretty darn good sounding changer in it's own right. The 525BEE sounds very nice I listened to it through the new Titan Monitors at my friends store yesterday.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1125
I'm red faced.

It was the C521BEE I'd heard, not the new 525BEE which has just recently been released here - duh!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3965
Hey MR that 525BEE is a really smooth sounding player. NAD just keeps getting better....and that's a good thing.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1177
Rantz:

As near as I can tell, the new 525bee is identical to the 542, except there is no HDCD playback circuitry (hence no royalties to pay). It is a big improvement over the 521 to my ears. I am thinking very seriously about getting it for my HT system.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3970
I think you're right Hawk. And it is truly a big improvement over the 521.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 53
I don't want to spoil the NAD party, but the new Marantz CD 5001 ($250) sounds very good too.

Very fluid and rich sounding, reminiscent of older 90's Marantz cd players, not as 'cool' as say the CD 5000, CD6000 OSE and CD5400.
Yes you trade in some of the details, but you'll get a more musical involvement.

I personally would be hesitant to buy a NAD cd player, the sonics are good, but everyone I know who owns a NAD player (the following models: C541i, C542 and C521BEE) complaints about very slow disc reading and not accepting many cd-r's and some cd's (NO DISC)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5813
And if it won't play, you cannot compare.
Thanks for coming back, Nout.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3974
The new Marantz sounds pretty good but not in the same league IMO as the new 525BEE.

Bronze Member
Username: Thereverend

Post Number: 32
Alright, well here is the latest. I am getting a Rega Planet (the original one)! My dad decided to upgrade to a Rega Jupiter. My birthday (21st) is next week and he said that for my birthday he is giving me his planet! I was pretty excited when I saw the e-mail. I am sure that this player will sound much better than my CC4300, broken or not. I am really excited about this!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5816
Colin ,good for you!
You really should update your profile, just to make things easier.

Thanks, Colin's Dad.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3979
Let us know how it sounds and compares. The original Planet came out long enough ago that it may just barely surpass your Marantz. Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 54
It may not surpass the newer Marantz and NAD models on the detail and soundstage front, but tonally it remains exceptionally good, the first cd player without the often criticized so-called digital hardness.

You're gonna love it Colin!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us