Is this a product?

Bronze Member
Username: Brettw

Post Number: 18
Hi,
I'm looking for a FM recording device that will be a seperate component that will record lots of radio performances, ie symphony concerts. I'd like it to be used in conjunction with my receiver, like the DVR unit. Is there such a device out there? I'm not talking Ipod.
thanks,
brett w

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12749
Take a look at Alesis Hard Drive recorders. I believe Fostex makes one as well.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1904
Decent cassette or reel-to-reel recorder?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Berny,
Thanks for the tip, those units are way out of my budget but they look great.
thanks,
Brett

Frank,
that would be the least expensive way to go for sure and I may do that, but I like my Tivo type DVR so much, it would be nice to have something like that for FM, A device that you just push a button and it starts recording or lists programs and will record while you're away.
thanks,
Brett

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1909
Brett

FM is an analogue medium. Your recorder would have to convert this into digital and store it. I'd be surprised if there's nothing out there that can do this. Come to think of it, if you have a digital tuner and can receive radio stations on it, then your DVR should be able to record that signal. Have you tried that?

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9721

Rather than using a reel to reel, which has become a rare and expensive item; or a cassette, which lacks recording time, use a HiFi VCR set to it's longest recording time. You should get eight hours of recording from a 120 minute tape with quality that will be more than sufficient for FM. Set to its fastest speed a good Hifi VCR will rival affordable 1/4" reel to reel quality and cost about 1/10 the money to buy and feed tapes.

You can record FM to a CD or DVD recorder either of which is quite similar to your DVR. They will be a bit less convenient if you are not around to mark your chapter points but still workable. Most recorders will automatically set chapters when you begin a new recording and have autocratic chapter marks set about every eight minutes within each recording. To record to either the VCR or the DVD recorder you will have to provide a video input of some sort for the recorder to synch to. Any TV channel will do. Run your FM analog inputs into the line ins of the recorder and you should be set.

There are FM recorders sold to the iPod group. Check any supplier who caters to the MP3 generation and you might find what you need. Last time I even glanced at these devices, their maximum recording time was more limited than the formats above but they functioned more like your DVR.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Frank,
No I havn't tried that but it is the DVR interface/software that prevents it I think. I'll tinker with it, it would be good to be able to use the DVR which was my hope.
thaks,
brett

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1911
If you don't get anywhere with that, have a look at the Topfield PVRs.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1167
brett:

TiVo will also do this is properly connected
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help