Amp for Dynaudio

Username: Kmd

Washington, DC USA

Post Number: 1
I am a newbie looking for an integrated amp and cd player for Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mk II speakers. I am also in line to get an old Rega turntable so I want the amp to have a phono input. I mainly listen to rock, jazz and reggae. My budget is around $2500 for both the amp and the cd player. I am considering the Rega Mira 3 and Apollo but would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations. Thanks.

This is my first post but I have been reading this forum for a while and have found it very helpful. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3900
I love my Mira 3 but it's driving the very easy to drive Rega R5 speakers. It won't have the necessary grunt to drive your Dyn's effectively. Also, again I love my Apollo but it's a little below the Contours potential for performance...think Saturn. I think that you should perhaps look on Audiogon for used gear.

http://www.audiogon.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Quaintdreamer

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 11
Consider Naim Nait 5i

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5734
I think Ravi Bains here is running an Adcom amp with those Contours.
Right on the speaks, not sure on the amp.
Frank?

Washington, DC USA

Post Number: 2
Art, thanks for the input, I was afraid that might be the case with the Mira. My budget (which appears to have been somewhat naive) is somewhat flexible and could stretch a bit if necessary.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5747
A naive budget? In Audio?
Nawwwww....

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1900
KMD

You're way off base I'm afraid. The 1.3 MkII is an excellent speaker but it sucks power. You need a minimum of an AVI Integrated to make any sense of it, both in terms of power and in terms of resolution. In order to feed that kind of amplifier with a halfway decent signal you need a CD player in the same ballpark. I guess I'm basically saying you should consider doubling your budget.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5752
Thank you Frank, it was an AVI amp that Ravi was running.
I think he moved up a model as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5753
I think he mentioned a feeling of 'punch in the guts' to describe it.

Washington, DC USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Frank. Sounds like I may have gotten in a little over my head here. I guess that is a problem with getting a couple pieces of good gear on the cheap, it ends up costing you more in the long run. I will look into the AVI or trying to find some good used gear as Art suggested. Any other recommendations in the $2000-2500 range (amp only)?

Another possibility would be to unload the 1.3s and start over with something more easily paired with equipment in my price range. I could probably trade them in for a pair of Audience 52's or Focus 110s (I am limited to bookshelf speakers for a number of reasons). Though it seems a shame to spend more money for less speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5756
KMD, remember we are talking the best combinations, there are others that would work just fine with your speakers.
I would not trade them, unless you get a smokin' deal in return.

If a bit underpowered, those 140's are still a terrific speaker, and will be expected to last for a long long time.

In that time, you may find a great deal(or a great deal of money) and you will wish for them back.

Underpowering those speakers will do no harm, unless you fall into the volume knob.
Oh wait, that's me.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1903
KMD

The 52s are easier to drive but they are still pretty demanding.

There are bound to be loads of amplifiers available in your price range second hand. One brand I admire but have only limited experience with is Jeff Rowland. The entry level integrated has been around a while and may be down at your price.

Other brands would include Chord Electronics (always a strong combination with Dynaudio), Naim Audio (ensure you buy the appropriate speaker cable), but if you're in the US, then there are other home grown brands such as Audio Research.

Sorry I can't help more - perhaps our US-based brethren?

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5759
If used NA brands come up, I might suggest Classe.
Very good stuff, but overpriced, I think.
A dealer with a wide selection might have some trade-ins.

That's how I got mine.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1161
KMD:

I would agree with Frank that the Contours are very power hungy--I have Dynaudios myself and they soak up power like a sponge soaks up water. I can suggest a couple of very fine amps in your price range:

My favorite is the B & K Reference 200.2 (225 wpc), which is about $1200-1300. It has an incredibly smooth sound, largely because of the very high quality MOSFETs used in the output stages:

http://www.bkcomp.com/ref200.asp

But the Parasound Halo A21 (250 wpc) is also a very worthy candidate for those speakers:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA21

The Parasound can be had for about $1500-1600.

Either of these North American made amps would be a worthy compliment to the Contours and a good match, sonically, IMO.

Washington, DC USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all of the input. This is all very helpful. Any thoughts on the Exposure 3010 integrated amp? One of the local dealers recommended it for the 1.3 mk IIs.

Username: Ravbains

Post Number: 1
finally I can post again, I think my account was purged due to inactivity. I registered again....

Hi KMD,

I am the proud owner of a pair of Contour 1.3se, the Se has improved drivers and crossover compared to the 1.3MKII.

I find it to be an excellent speaker, albeit extremely demanding of the amplifier.

I started out with and AVi lab series integrated (which is now doing duty in the bedroom system). The Avi sounded great with the 1.3se, superb bass and dynamics, problem was that the sound lacked life at low volumes, and only came to life either loudish or REALLY LOUD.

So then I bought a used Musical Fidelity Trivista 300, and sanity was restored. The Tri-Vista has sufficient control and grip on the 1.3se, that it sounds great during heavy head-banging sessions of "rawk" or playing gently and sweetly very late at night.

If the stock 1.3MKII is anything like the 1.3se, then the better amp you can manage, the more potential the speaker will reveal to you.

If it is any help, I have taken my Avi amp to my local Dynaudio dealer more than once, and it sounds absolutely fantastic with Contour S1.4, and the new Focus 140. I happen to think that the 1.3se is an extreme case, and the dealer concurs, he says that the 1.3se's just cannot get enough power!!

Hope this helps, just a little
Best Wishes
Rav

Bronze Member
Username: Antiz

Post Number: 14
That's what I'm saying myself (and my focus too), in another threat, low level volume need damn more life!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4110
Good to see you back Rav.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us