Laid Back Sound

Bronze Member
Username: Juggy_25

Post Number: 37
Is it the Amp or the Speakers that actually causes the sound to be laid back?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12731
A combination of both.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 200
it can be both.

Conversely, you wouldn't want to mate a set of Klipsch speakers with a bright amp or receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5705
Speakers, without a doubt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5706
Until you get into the high buck stuff.
The Classe stuff can impose a smoooooth feeling, or Rock with the right input.
It comes and goes...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9708

Define "laid back".

Gold Member

Post Number: 5716
Smooothe Johnny Cash on the box, with a Johnnie Walker in one hand, a Johnnie J lit up in t'other.
That be 'laid back'.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 465
A recessed soundstage and an overall lack of punch.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 44
A recessed soundstage and an overall lack of punch.

It turns out Jan's question is a relevant one :-)

In my opnion a laid back sound is listening from a seat in the 3rd row instead of the 1st row.
A recessed soundstage doesn't come to my mind
I heard speakers that were "upfront", in your ear but lacked stage depth, rather a wall of sound than a true sound stage.
Other speakers with a more reserved presentation had a very nice stage depth and a sense of being there...at the 3rd row.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 114
My lay perspective says speakers that are damped more produce 'laid back' sound, while speakers damped less produce a 'forward' sound... !

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 45
A recessed soundstage doesn't come to my mind

Hmm, looked "recessed" up in the dictionary, I think you meant exactly what I said.
I thought you meant a decreased soundstage.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9712

"My lay perspective says speakers that are damped more produce 'laid back' sound, while speakers damped less produce a 'forward' sound... !"

Sorry, Srinivas, but "damped"?! "Damped more"?!

Vhat?! I'm supposed to skuirt water onmy speekers?! Vhat is this "damped"?! Vhat? I don'know from "damped"!

What's "forward sound"?

What is "damped more" and "damped less"? How is it achieved?

I feel like I've entered a maze.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 208
My personal thought as to "laid back" was that the performance sounded like it was not thrust up front, as if you were sitting up front at a concert. Rather it would sound like you were sitting back in the hall, where the reverberation from the surrounding surfaces affects what you hear much more so than if you were up front.

A laid back speaker to my ears has a mellow sound without overly aggressive highs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5731
I think laid back is relative to the source material.
It is hard to imaging Sammy Hagar being laid back at all.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 466
Well, that is where the lack of punch comes into play. Rock guitar lacks excitement. You can turn the volume up loud but the illusion of the band is still a bit far away. I use the first album by Montrose (featuring Sammy Hagar). "I Got The Fire" & "Rock Candy" are the songs. Janet Jackson's live "Black Cat" is a very dynamic test song too. Then there is an old Stooges song on the "Raw Power" album, "Shake Appeal" that's fun to crank up at the audio showrooms...also Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love".

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Once a cymbal is struck, it continues to oscillate for a duration of time. The purpose of a speaker is to duplicate these oscillations with respect to frequency, amplitude and duration. If the amplitude reduces faster than the original sound, it means either the amplifier is not applying the force required to move the speaker or the speaker offers too much resistance. It is this resistance that I referred to as 'damping'. Its beginning to sound like impedence though!

I started by comparing the sound of a metal tweeter to a silk dome. With metal tweeters, the cymbal sounds like it was made of foil, while with the silk tweeter, more like brass. I thought it was to do with the duration for which the sound lasted. I must admit however, that the tone (frequency?) seems slightly different between speakers too. Which would amount to distortion? I prefer rock, such as Metallica, on boom box speakers and even my car's stock speakers than the NAD/Wharfedale combination at home. The 'harshness' of electric guitar seems tamed on the Wharfedale speakers. On the other hand, I like Norah Jones voice on Wharfedales. Cannot bear it on boom boxes. Hence, I classified boom box and car audio as 'forward' and home stereo as 'laid back'. I've got observations on bass frequencies too, but will stop before the ditch I've dug myself into gets any deeper. I did not realize 'laid back' had to do with sound stage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5739
Srinivas, I will buy your input to this point.
The Rolling Stones on a high end kit is counter-productive.
Then there's old Mellencamp, which just don't sound right if it ain't loud.

IMHO.

Will someone answer that DAMN PHONE?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Nuck, seems to me that speakers have taste in music too! Mellencamp! Yes, definitely needs loud :-) Wish I had louder...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1897
Anything in the audio chain can change the sound - source, amp, speakers, cabling or lousy mains. The degree to which any component makes a change depends on the neutrality and transparency of the rest of the system components. So for example, if you have a Rega Apollo and Mira (naturally not laid back), both the cabling and speakers would have to be absolute dogs for it to sound laid back (cue Spendor for example). On the other hand, a Musical Fidelity combo would easily be made to sound laid back - simply apply vdh cables (not really laid back but on the slower side of neutral) and it won't matter how fast your speakers are, the system will sound laid back.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us