Help on receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 49
I am currently searching for a receiver for my Polk Audio Rti8's. I have been told to get an amplifier but they just cost too much for a good one. I am leaning towards upgrading my receiver. I have a yamaha htr-5740 which does around 85 wpc. I was thinking of upgrading to a yamaha rx-v659 or a Pioneer elite vsx-80txv. I have found good reviews for the yamaha and they also say it puts out more power than its rated at, however I cannot find anything on the Elite. If anyone can help me out as to which receiver may be better let me know. If there is something else you can recommend please let me know. Also, would upgrading the receiver provide a beneficial difference in sound?

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 46
what is your budget?? yamaha's are not known for producing accurate power ratings, very far from it, as pioneer elite are known to put out the power they claim, due to a beefy power supply, if we could get a budget I or someone else can further assist you.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 50
My budget is 450 dollars.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12727
My vote goes to the Pioneer.

Harman Kardon and Marantz are always worth a look.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 51
Ok and do you think that the upgrade will make a significant difference in the sound at all?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5662
Harmon Kardon, hands down, for a stereo.
Their 33 series will outpower most in that range.
As for sound quality?
This series will WOW nearly anybody.

HOWEVER, this product carries a signature sound, you must hear it for yourself.
That said, the HK does not fool you with it's presentation. You will get the same production no matter where you listen.
I like them.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 52
I was looking at the HK3480 and it looks like one hell of a beast. I mainly listen to music anyways. So this 2 channel HK should outperform the Pioneer Elite multi channel AV receiver?

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 53
There is no crossover settings on the HK so how would I go about setting the crossover between the subwoofer and stereo speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5664
Tommy, your sub should(might) have a high pass built in. Which sub?
The HK is very focused on the low freq.
Nad and Rotel can grip the low frequencies very well, the HK does it better than most other receivers.
At the price, the HK is what I would get, and I have done so before.

Please note, Tommy, that this is only my opinion. I do not have your ears, or your wallet.
I have been out of the receiver market for a while. HK is the brand that I would always look at, however.

I had an older avr65 H/K receiver and ran low impedence spekers with abandon. Like wide open.
Bullitt-proof.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 47
http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/C352.asp if you dont need a tuner and willing to spend just a little more, this would be one to consider.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5667
Good post Shawn.
Tommy have a look at that Nad.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobuff

Post Number: 30
HK3480 $199 ReFurb (Hell of a deal IMO)

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z

Gold Member

Post Number: 5677
Tommy, if you want to try the H/K, this deal must not be missed!
Great post, buff.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 56
Nuck I have a Polk PSW12 sub with a main volume know and another freq. knob.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 57
If I were to get the HK stereo receiver and hook it up to my current yamaha multi channel av receiver can I still obtain the surround sound settings my multi channel yamaha has? I was thinking of just using the HK to power the main tower speakers and using the yamaha for the rest. I am trying to save money by not buying 700 dollar amps. Not sure whether I can achieve certain DD formats if I were to do this...

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 58
Are there any amps out there I can use for the Rti8's that will give my Rti8's some more life with a budget of 450 dollars? mayyybe ill go a bit Higher

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 59
Im hoping I can also bi wire my speakers with the amp as well

Gold Member

Post Number: 5736
Tommy, you can bi-wire easily.
On a budget, look for the Harmon Kardon 3380.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 60
Ok now, how will I get the surround sound and DD formats because the HK is only stereo. Can I hook up my multi channel yamaha av receiver to the HK and get the surround and just have the HK acting as powering the mains?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1160
Tommy:

I think you are trying too hard to make your current Yammie work, and I think that is a mistake.

You can't bi-wire your Yammie with a stereo receiver largely because I don't believe your Yammie has pre-outs. In fact, the amp section is easily the weakest part of your receiver, so it would make sense to simply get a receiver with better (real) power.

Since you suggest you could spend up to $450, let me suggest a couple of alternatives that will give you a much stronger amp, and which will be a better match for your Polk speakers:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5600

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-435-5-1-7-1-Home-theater-receiver_W0QQitem Z150088410274QQihZ005QQcategoryZ39794QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 16
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z quick question on these refub stuff since they are checked by the company should that mean chances of having prob should be considerable less. Just wondering cause for shipping it back, the distance would be a killer in shipping if did for me. Anyone bought any stuff from their before??

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1164
chico:

I have bought several factory refurbs and I have always had a very good experience. I have no experience with H/K's refurbs, but I cannot believe they would be any different. I can tell you that industry sources tell me that refurbs have 1/20th the return rate of new, so you are much more likely to get a reliable unit as a refurb than a new one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us