Integrated amp for Quad 22L?

Bronze Member
Username: Srinivos

DFW

Post Number: 21
I am looking for an integrated amp, preferably used, to drive the Quad 22L speakers. I listen primarily to rock(70%) - classic, alternative, modern & some classical - instrumental, indian fusion(20%) & vocal(10%). I prefer a warm sound, with a good, tight bass, nice mids and smooth highs. The speakers will be in a small room(15'x12') placed along the width.

Budget is 1K & I am fine with either SS or tube but have never owned a tube product, so I am unsure about maintenance. Since I have a limited budget for now, I plan to use a Roku soundbridge playing my cd's ripped to FLAC/WAV from htpc.

- The 22L is rated 89dB at 6 ohms. What is the minimum power requirements for the amp? I don't play music at rock-the-house levels but need something which delivers impact on music like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.
- I would like to use the optical out on the Roku. Are there any integrated amps which have digital input(coax or optical)?
- If I wanted to add a subwoofer in the future, can an integrated amp provide the necessary pre-out?

At the dealer, the Quad was being driven by Quad electronics all the way. He suggested that Arcam gear would also be a good match as I was initially planning on a HT setup around these speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1132
I agree that Arcam would be a very good choice, but I would also suggest that the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A makes a nice combo with those Quad speakers, as well.

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 22
Hawk,

How about subwoofer outs & digital inputs on integrated amps? If I wanted to add an SACD player to the mix, how would I do it?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1134
srivinias:

Sounds like you really want a HT receiver, not an integrated amp. To have digital capabilities, you need a digital processor, and that means a HT receiver.

In that case, I might suggest either a Harman/Kardon or Pioneer Elite receiver to go with your Quads.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5609
Srinivas, I would look at pure seperates before lowering the Quads to a receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1895
Arcam would be OK. If you were in the UK I'd say look at 2nd hand Naim - great with rock...

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 23
I will be having two sources to drive the speakers. The Roku playing the
FLAC files & an Oppo 971HD DVD player. I would like to avoid using the
analog outputs from both the players as I suspect the DACs might be inferior
to the quality of downstream components. Is this a valid assumption? I can
go with separates too to get this capability.

Btw, how do people use SACD players in a 2-channel setup?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1896
Oh so do you want an HT receiver, or do you want to run 2-channel? I thought you only had one set of 22L's. If you want HT, it's difficult to beat Arcam for sensible money. The AVR250 and AVR300 are being replaced by the AV R280. you may be able to get a good deal on an ex-demo AVR250 or 300. Neither do HDMI and the AVR250 can't be upgraded with separate power amps but they are the most musical HT recweivers at the price in my opinion.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 24
Frank,

I want to run 2-channel. I intend to use the DVD player as a cheap source for SACD/DVD-A. I read somewhere that some SACDs also have a hi-res stereo mix available on the same disc. I have a HT setup which I will be keeping separate in the living room.
Mainly, I am trying to keep the signal path digital from source to pre/pro/amp so as to avoid the inbuilt DAC. In a few months, I might buy an used CD player or just a DAC for the Roku.

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 25
Quad seems to have released a new L-series (L2) a few weeks back. Anyone heard or seen them at the CES?
Here is some information I found on their website:
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/downloads/L2%20Series%20Moving.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us