5.1 System for High-Def Gaming & Watching Movies

Username: Cugine

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a 5.1 surround sound system. I am into next-gen gaming (xbox 360, wii, ps3) and dvd movies and hbo. I don't plan on using this setup much for music though it would be nice to listen to once in a while (classic rock).

I'm looking for candid feedback on the setup below and any recommendations you may have.

mythos one B-floor standing speaker set
CLR2300B Powered Center
Supercube II Subwoofer
Mythosgem b satellite speakers (small rear)
Denon AVR 4306

What do you think about this package? I need some advice. This is my first surround sound purchase and I'm nervous and overwhelmed by all the choices. I don't want to screw up! :-)

I plan on spending some dough on the speaker wire (banana plugs). Should I invest in a panamax line conditioner?

Thanks for the advice.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12671
Definitive Technology and Denon...not a pairing I would be able to listen for any extended period of time.

But keep in mind that it is a personal preference. Have you listened to this system? Only your ears matter. What anyone of us think about the choices you are going to make is irrelevant.

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny,

Thanks for the reply. I was not able to hear the denon and Deftech speakers together. They were in separate rooms. Could you explain why pairing them makes for bad listening? Do you have another recommendation? I love the 4 DVI Input/Output feature on the Denon.

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1123
Danny:

1. System looks pretty good to me. If you like it, that is what matters. I agree with Berny, though, that it isn't a pairing that I would make, but it is your ears that matter. To my ears, the Mythos, like all DefTechs I have ever heard, are very forward sounding speakers. They are a little hard sounding (not a bad thing, in and of itself). The Denon receiver is a little dry sounding, not as warm as I like, which makes the hardness of the DefTech tough listening for music. Nevertheless, you are looking to use it only for video games and DVDs, something the DefTech excel at. So, the fact that it does not meet my needs does not mean it isn't right for you.

2. What is it that you like about 4 DVI Inputs/output? DVI is dying a quick death thanks to HDMI.

3. As for a suggestion for something different, I might look into a Marantz SR7500 instead of the Denon, which is currently being closed-out (model year change, but it sounds better than the newer model). The Marantz is warmer sounding than the Denon, which I think makes it much easier to listen to for extended periods of time. Here is a place with the Marantz:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR7500

4. Suggesting different speakers is harder, since there are so many choices and sizes. But if you wanted to keep the Denon, I would lean towards something like RBH, KEF or NHT loudspeakers. They are a bit warmer, and not as forward sounding as the DefTechs, but they aren't shrinking violets, either. They are a bit forward sounding the the universe of speakers, just not as aggressive as the DefTechs.

5. Definitely get the Panamax line conditioner. Power from most power companies is very dirty, and can lead to audible problems or worse. It is a good investment.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Hi Hawk,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I apologize I meant to say HDMI and not DVI. From what I understand, you plug all your devices into the denon receiver (it has 4 hdmi inputs) and then you take one hdmi output and plug that into the tv. I'll do some more research on the receiver side and see if I can hear the marantz/denon with the speakers.

Thanks for the info.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1127
Danny:

Whew! You really had me going on that one! I could not, for the life of me, understand why you wanted DVI. This makes more sense.

Now, you need to understand that HDMI is an evolving standard. We have had 1.0 (adopted 12/02), 1.1(5/04), 1.2 (8/05), 1.2A (12/05), and now we are up to 1.3 (6/06). The Denon you speak of, the 4306, is compatible with HDMI 1.1. That means that you will be limited to 24 bit color, as 1.1 does not support the 30, 36 and 48 bit color of HDMI 1.3 (aka "deep color").

What is so special about deep color? Here is what the HDMI coalition says about it:

"Deep Color lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors allowing consumers to enjoy unprecedented vividness and accuracy of color on their displays. Deep Color eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors. It enables increased contrast ratio, and can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white."

Deep Color greatly enhances the appearance of video games on the PS3, and no doubt on future generations of Xbox and Nintendo. Now, given your desire to use this system for gaming, it seems to me that you may want to get somethig that is Deep Color enabled. It was Sony's pending introduction of the PS3 that caused the adoption of the 1.3 spec adding Deep Color. One of the special features of the PS3 is the use of 48 bit color in games, so routing everything through your receiver would preclude your use of this feature.

There is no doubt about the advantages of having a single cable run to the tv, eliminating a lot of clutter (my wife simply will not tolerate wires on the wall!). However, I don't think the Denon is the best way to do it. Instead, you may wish to investigate an external HDMI switchbox, which will be much more up to date, to coordinate your video signals. I will also be more easily changed if necessary when the coalition again updates the standard.

Post Number: 4
Hi Hawk,

WOW . . . Well that right there is a reason to steer far away from the denon receiver. I definitely want 1.3 compatibility. The salesman never mentioned it and I didn't think to ask. That saved me a huge headache. I agree with your input on the external HDMI switchbox. I will definitely go with that.

Maybe I am going all wrong here with my speaker choices. This is definitely not my expertise. I'm up for other recommendations. For gaming/movies and occasional classic rock n roll what setup would be most fit? I want something more on the high-end / mid-range.

I definitely do not want wall mounting front speakers or giant standing speakers. I like the idea of thin sleek looking speakers. That is why I picked out the mythos one. Definitely the contemporary look and feel. I want to buy a system that will last for sometime and get quite a bit of mileage.

I can't remember why but the salesman discouraged me from looking at the marantz receivers. I took a look at the website what do you think about the marantz SR9600 7.1? I may want to invest in a 7.1 receiver even though I plan on going with a 5.1 setup to start. What do you think?

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR9600

Again, I appreciate your insight and expertise.

Thanks,
Danny

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1135
Danny:

I suspect the salesman you were talking to doesn't even know about the different HDMI standards. We have had a running discussion on this board as there is a lot of mis-information out there, consequently a lot of confusion. I made a number of comments about the 1.3 standard recently, only to find out that my source was wrong:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1173021369

3. Speakers are much harder to discuss since physical placement has a lot to do with what would make a good system for your room. I cannot see your room and suggest what would work. But, I can suggest a couple of packages, not that they are necessarily better than the Mythos, but are similar in physical size and are worthy of consideration:

A. The Paradigm Reference Millenia speakers. See them here:

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteReferenceProduct/RModels/millenia/milleniase ries.html

B. The PSB VisionSound VS400s. See them here:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=66&sId=15

You would need to get an appropriate subwoofer, but both Paradigm and PSB offer excellent matching subs. A dealer can make an appropriate recommendation. I heard the Paradigms about two months ago and they are superb speakers.

I can't say anything you are doing is wrong, but I am offering alternatives, especially since you want this system to last. Thus, it would make some sense that you investigate the alternatives so that you do not have buyer's regret for jumping at the first thing. Let me know if this is worth pursuing, or if you just want to stick with the receiver option.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1133
Hi Danny. Definitely get a receiver that can switch at least one HDMI input, the Xbox 360 will be adding an HDMI port and with it you will be able to receive all the next gen audio from the add-on HD-DVD player they sell for $200, otherwise it will be a downmixed version currently in Dolby Digital, soon to be DTS hopefully.

A HDMI 1.3 receiver might be worth waiting for, HDMI 1.3 allows for double the bandwidth and more things could be in store in the future, hopefully it is the last version. To get deep color however, you will need ALL devices in the chain to be HDMI 1.3, if you just bought a Hi-Def TV and don't think you'll be upgrading soon, maybe it's worth a purchase right now.

If you decide to buy an HDMI switch box I bought the below one and am completely satisfied, especially when using a Logitech Harmony remote to control it.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002 &p_id=2777&seq=1&format=2&style=

their HDMI cables are also great and look at the price!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004 &p_id=2412&seq=1&format=2&style=

Post Number: 5
Hi Hawk,

I like where you are going with this. I think separates might be the better option for me.

I checked out outlaw and they seem to be pretty high end. One thing that concerns me is not being able to hear/see their stuff in person before purchase. To be honest, I have never heard of them, where can I read customer reviews?

The Paradigm Reference Millenia 300 speakers are beautiful. That is exactly the style I am looking for. They look very similiar to the mythos one except they may be a tad fancier. How do they compare as far as sound quality? Are they forward sounding as well? I have a local dealer working on getting me a quote. I checked out the PSB but they don't look as nice. I am definitely leaning towards the paradigm 300 series. Unfortunately, my local dealers I spoke with do not have the 300 on display.

One thing I am worried about is keeping up with technology. You mentioned it is much easier to upgrade pre/pros in the case if a new audio format appears compared to a receiver. How so? Won't I have to forklift upgrade the preamp? Meaning completely replace it. With the new dvd formats able to hold way more data I think its only a matter of time before a new audio format comes along.

Thanks for pointing these things out. I think I am getting closer to a system that is more my style and will last longer. I will look into the paradigm subwoofers as well. I noticed you did not recommend outlaw's subs. Any particular reason why?

Also, I assume I will need a center channel and rears right?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Danny

Post Number: 6
One thing I noticed on the outlaw 990 is it has DVI switching instead of HDMI. My TV does not have DVI only HDMI inputs. I suppose I can get an hdmi to dvi cable but how will that affect quality?

Does it say in the specs if Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD data streams will use HDMI 1.3? If so, I won't receive these from the 990, right? Maybe it is worth waiting until HDMI is no longer a moving target. I guess there is no saying when that is going to happen.

Danny

Post Number: 7
Hi Kano,

Great recommendation. I definitely like the idea of using an HDMI switchbox. I checked out the box you recommended and I went through some of the customer reviews. It looks like some customers were having issues when connecting a ps3. Port 5 was the only working port and for one individual it did not work at all. I could not tell what rev they had as they might of had an older one.

I have the harmony remote as well so that is nice to know it is compatible.

Thanks for the link, I most likely will purchase it once I have decided on my system.

Danny

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5659
Danny, you are correct in waiting until the HDMI is sorted out. However, you could wait a lifetime. That video crap will last forever and cost you an appendage or two.
Go with DVI.
The converter box/cable will be cheap, and the video switching should be kept away from the audio anyhow.

Have no fear, Outlaw will support you.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12717
I can vouch for the Outlaw. Excellent support and great customer service.

They have not adopted the HDMI hula-baloo as of yet, but I am not too concerned. DVI is a good thing.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5661
DVI is the core of HDMI.
They will always be compatible with a switchbox.
HDMI is a consumer suck job, and always will be.
Audio and video should always be seperate, unless you cannot tie your own shoes.

Stereo...baby!

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1134
Once they get HDMI right I think it is definitely a step forward. It is also currently the easiest way to get the new audio codecs from HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Eliminating analog connections is nice since HD-Guru says HDMI is either 100% or 0%. I have a problem in that my receiver has one 6 ch direct input which I am using with my Denon 2910 for SACD and DVD-A, and have no way of connecting an HD-DVD player with lossless audio.

DVI is a thing of the past and many TVs do not like the DVI-HDMI connection. Just give into the darkside and start buying everything HDMI Nuck! Maybe when considering a dedicated music system analog's sweet sound with your $700 Chord cables is best, but with everything HD you need HDmi.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1145
Danny:

Well, if you found this forum, you will find all kinds of equipment reviewed under the "Reviews" tab on the home page. Here is one review I found of the 990 pre/pro:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/outlaw_990.htm

The nice thing about Outlaw is that you can order it and you get 30 days to try it in your home. They allow you to return it (call for an RMA) within the home trial period, so you can determine if it is right within your own home and with your own speakers.

Simply an oversight that I did not recommend the Outlaw subs. Outlaw subs are designed by Dr. Poh Hsu, who many people, including myself, think is the greatest sub designer in the world. I have a Hsu Research STF-2, and it is a killer--goes very low without getting "boomy." That is a rare charecteristic in a sub. The Outlaws are the same way, so they are Highly Recommended.

Glad you like the Paradigm Millenia. I find them to have more soundstage depth than the Mythos speakers; that is, the sound seems more three dimensional to me, which is why I recommended them to you. Simply work with your dealer to get the appropriate Paradigm matching center and surrounds and you will be set.

Pre/pros and technology--well the good news is that the creation of new formats is slowing down. At least manufacturers are no longer introducing new products with old software anymore. However, you will note that the pre/pro is merely a specialized computer, and this is all a matter of software. The Outlaw 990, like almost all quality seperate pre/pros, can have their software upgraded to accomodate a new format. In the case of the 990, it has both an RS-232 and a USB port for that very reason. Even if you do have to replace the pre/pro, you still have the amp that will no doubt give you 20 years of service or more.

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 8
Hi all,

Thanks for all the great advice. I have ordered the following (all speakers with aluminum chrome):

Paradigm Millenia 300 Series Pair for the front
Paradigm Millenia 30 Series for the Center Channel
Paradigm Millenia 20 Series Pair for the Rear

I put in a call to outlaw audio and I am waiting to hear back from a sales rep. I will most likely go with outlaw for the 990/7200 package or possibly even the 7700 amp. I want to discuss the major differences between the 7200 and 7700 with a sales rep before I make my decision.

In parallel, I am reading up on subs. I'm having a hard time deciding between going with one or two sub setup. The brands I am looking at are outlaw LFM-1 Plus, LFM-2, VTF-2 MK 2, VTF-2 MK3 and possibly something from velodyne.. I have mid-sized room but I rather overpower instead of underpower in the event I change residences. It is my own home so I do not have to share walls or worry I'm disturbing my neighbors.

Thanks,
Danny
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us