Center/surrounds for B&W 603s2

Username: Sanchoucsb

Post Number: 1
I currently have a pair of 603 series 2's that I'd like to use as my front speakers in a 5.1 system. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best matching center and surrounds?

I would think that for the center a b&w CC6s2 would match the best (and since I would have to buy used I would save a little money), but would the better sound of a new center be more important than a perfect match? I have heard that some people are not happy with the CC6. I am considering the LCR60, but am certainly open to suggestions if a center from a different b&w line or another manufacturer might be better.

I was also hoping to get away with b&w series 300 surrounds to save a little money, either new 303s or used 302s. Have people tried this with good results?

I am planning on using an NAD T754 receiver, but I haven't bought it yet, so feel free to throw in suggestions there too :-)

I already have a Definitive Technology 15" sub that I plan on using.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 146
best matching center channel to preserve timbre would be the b&w lcr6s2. In the s2 lineup the cc6s2 is the smaller center whereas the lcr6s2 is the big dog. With the 603s2 you could probably go either way, but I would go w/ the lcr6s for sure. should be able to pick one up used for around 300. The s3's won't be timbre matched so I'd stay away. I have some dm303's for rears in a 605s2 front lcr6s2 center configuration and the results are good for home theater and decent for 5 channel audio. If you want to preserve timbre all the way around the horn, you could pick up some used 601s2's off ebay for a good price and would be the best configuration given your fronts imo, but don't know your budget for all of this. The NAD is a perfectly capable receiver for this application, and I believe it (haven't heard this particular model with the speakers in question) goes well with the b&w house sound. A laid back presentation is how I would describe the nad b&w combo. Do you listen to alot of music? Are you looking for mainly home theater application?

Username: Sanchoucsb

Post Number: 2
Those are good suggestions, thanks. I will definitely look into how much used 601s2's are running on ebay, compared to new 303s. I'm on a budget obviously, but a hundred bucks either way shouldnt matter too much.

I am probably going to be listening mostly to home theater, but I still want to be able to really enjoy my music. Right now I am using an NAD 712 receiver as a preamp and NAD 214 amp. I like the way it sounds, so I was planning on staying with the NAD gear (unless there is a good reason not to, of course).

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 147
look at ebay and audiogon for the lcr6s2, i think this is an important piece for you to aquire. No good reason to stay away from NAD gear imo, but some may allude to some reliabiltiy issues they have had w/ some of their equipment.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5595
I would have no qualms about any Nad gear.
The new receivers have finally buried the noise issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us