Good Receiver or separates for around $1k to $2K

Username: Mmeyers1984

Post Number: 2
I'm trying to find a receiver or integrated amp and tuner combination to use with two Revel F-32's. I'm looking at a Rotel 1052 for around $800 or a Marantz PM7001 for $650 plus a ST7001 tuner for $500. I would pay more if it's worth it but it's tough to find a good 2-channel system without spending $5,000. Any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12660
Check out the stereo receiver offered by Outlaw Audio. Then I would pair that with 2 mono blocks from Outlaw as well.

Post Number: 3
Thanks. I'll take a look. I don't want to sound dumb but what are mono blocks?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12662
A mono block is a single channel power amp. Commonly connected to only one output channel and used to drive one speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1110
I would agree with Berny on the Outlaw receiver, but not on the monoblocks. Although they are very brawny sounding, they are not nearly as smooth and refined as most other amps in that price range, and certainly not the equal of those lovely Revel speakers. I investigated those monoblocks a year ago for my own system and I was very disappointed in their sound.

For two channel listening, you can get some great gear. Berny suggested the Outlaw RR2150, and it is a superb receiver. Highly recommended.

I also like the Rotel 1052. I use the earlier generation Rotel RX-1050 in my study for my two channel listening and it is a wonderful piece of gear. The 1052 is substantially the same receiver, so I very confident in recommending it and feel you cannot go wrong.

I personally do not like the Marantz integrated. It seems very two dimensional to me, as the soundstage sounds collapsed--just no real depth to the soundstage. I just don't care for that type of sound. However, there are other integrateds that I can highly recommend for under $1K. My favorite, and a Recommended Component by Stereophile, is the NAD C372, a 150wpc integrated with an MSRP of $999, but can be found for under $800. Here is a special I found on the web that includes the excellent NAD tuner:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAKIT1

The nice thing about the NAD is that it has enough power to really drive your Revels, but as Stereophile mentions, it refined enough to work well with very high quality speakers. NAD will not choke on the relatively low impedence of those speakers, either.

Now, if you want to go just a little bit higher in price, I would recommend a good, but inexpensive pre-amp pre-amp, such as the
NAD C162 (can be had for $400) with a Parasound Halo A23 power amp (MSRP of $850):

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA23

That Halo amp is one of the nicest sounding amps I have ever heard.

Good luck!

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the help. I'm going to do some research on the NAD and Parasound equipment and may come back and ask you some more questions. I really appreciate it!!!

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 121
as I've been talking in a couple other threads some showed me this setup

http://emotiva.com/products.html

the Ultra Theater Series is 899 for both at 125 watts per channel. I think this is my next buy

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 98
If only the best will do then get the Cambridge Audio azur 840a Integrated amp.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us