Best Towers?

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 45
What are the best tower speakers I can get for a budget of around $700 dollars? I mainly listen to music and already have a Polk Audio PSW12 subwoofer along with a Yamaha Htr-5740 receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1026
I have the same receiver, it's a bit lacking in the bass, but fine with a subwoofer.

My mains were around $300 new, but I'm a $700 pair will be much nicer, although that's what my surrounds cost new, now why would your surrounds cost more than your mains??

I don't know much about that sub, but my Seismic 12 I'll be getting soon should do about as well, good job.

Hmm $700, well sorry I posted for nothing. I'm sure someone ELSE knows all (bows down).

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 147
Your receiver is lacking in the bass??

If I were you, I'd be pointing fingers at your speakers & sub.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1108
Tommy:

I am perplexed by your comment that your receiver seems lacking in the bass. What have you done to diagnose this problem? Now, it could be that you have heard your receiver with a number of different speakers and concluded that the receiver is bass-shy, but it is more likely that your speakers simply do not have enough low end extension to satisfy your ears. If you have tried your receiver with a number of different speakers, you should know that your Yammie is considered a "bright" sounding receiver--that is, there is a bump in the frequency response in the upper midrange (2-4kHz) that may make the receiver appear sound a bit bass-shy.

In any event, I would highly recommend some tower speakers that have some real warmth to them, which will tame the brightness, and also give you some more apparent bass. In that regard, I would suggest these speakers from Energy:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC500

I would also recommend the PSB T45s, which have a MSRP of $749/pr., but you can get them much cheaper here:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Anyways, those are two good speakers choices which will match the sonic charecter of your receiver. Good hunting!

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 47
I will take your picks into consideration. They look like awesome speakers. I was leaning towards Polk Audio Rti10's or 8's. Does Polk lack the quality in parts and overall design and sound etc. that other speaker company's have such as the ones you listed?

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1117
Ultimately, which speaker is right depends upon what your ears tell you. However, generally speaking, I would suggest that either the Energys or the PSBs would be a much smoother, better defined, and cleaning sounding speaker than the Polks, IMO. Check them out with a local dealer.

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 106
if your looking for a good set of speakers for your money look at these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6781324&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03044&id=1091101346130

or these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6781315&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03044&id=1091101346068

great sounding and they go on sale alot. these speakers are good bang for the buck

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 131
I would personally rather take a dentist drill without anesthesia than pair klipsch with yamaha. That is a combo that will mate a bright-ish receiver with a bright pair of speakers. Not a wise match IMHO.

Jim, neither of those speakers is a smart match for that receiver in my opinion. I have heard klipsch speakers with yamaha receivers, and they sound lousy together.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
Before I knew as much as I do now about audio, I was driving a nice pair of Klipsch RB-5II monitors with an Onkyo receiver. The combo sounded lousy together, but driven with a Pioneer Elite integrated they sounded great (what they were being driven with in the showroom).

I sold the speakers instead of buying the integrated amp.

System synergy is "everything." You can't mate just anything together :-)

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1130
"System synergy is "everything." You can't mate just anything together :-)"

Very well said.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
I had people tell me the same thing about my polk monitor50's when I had them that they would sound like junk with my rxv-1300 too but what do you know I run them with everything, movies, phono, games and even my nakamichi cd player all sounded dynamite. Even better with my rti10's. I just want a power amp to make them sound even better

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
I'm not going to remind you what I told you of the monitor series :-) It wasn't nice, and you are happy with them :-)

if you like the way they sound, that is what it is all about anyway.

But, in all honesty doing what you suggested is almost going to guarantee listener fatigue.

Bright receiver + bright speakers = VERY BRIGHT sound

not a pretty result.

You are better off mating Klipsch speakers to receivers such as Pioneer and Pioneer Elite.

Paradigm speakers go much better with the bright nature of the Yamaha receivers. They have a warm, smooth tonality that can offset brightness.

Complimenting flaws is not the best way around them, but sometimes it may be necessary.

I do not see a warm sounding speaker as a flaw, because I like it (you might not see +15dB in the treble as a flaw and like speakers really hot in the treble on the flipside)

Keep this in mind when giving component reccomendations. They will fly a lot better if you can give the OP an idea of what it sounds like. What sounds good to you may NOT sound good to them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
and to answer your comment about "what I know"

I have been a member here for a couple of years. This is my second account. I deleted my first account due to spam.

I have personally owned Klipsch speakers, so I know what to expect from them, and how they behave with various electronics. I also own Paradigm speakers, and am very familiar with the tonality and characteristics of the sound that they have. If I DO reccomend a component that I have little or no experience with, I state it.

I don't talk out of my bum bro

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
Tommy,

I like the Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers. They have a warm, tuneful sound. I recommended to a family friend that he pair his Yamaha receiver to the Monitor 7 speakers, and the results are excellent.

This is not to say that the speakers are flawless (they are not). You can hear some slight resonance in the midrange. This bothers some listeners more than others. The person that I recommended the speakers to stepped up from a Bose Lifestyle system, so hearing any midrange is a plus.

You would have to hear them for yourself to determine if it bothers you. Now, I am quite picky, and it is not enough to be a deal breaker for me at that price, and in a tower speaker. A monitor at the same price will usually outperform a tower in terms of midrange resolution, but not always.

The Monitor 7 has nice, fairly taught bass, and great highs. It is the best performing, and best buy out of the tower speakers in the Monitor series. The 9 and 11 have terribly boomy bass, and the power tower is the price of the studio series towers.

They are around $700 to $750 if I remember correctly (priced per pair)

www.paradigm.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
I sell paradigm, klipsch and polk out of my retail store. As well as infiniti and yamaha. And have heard every line of these speakers for the past 3 years. So Mr I owned 2 sets of speakers and I'm a expert before you start flaming off on someone learn more about them. Being a member of a forum doesnt make you a expert on anything. Seeing this equipment in person and hearing it does

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
and if you pair klipsch with yamaha... remind me never to go to you when I need help.

I'd rather listen to Bose

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
just out of curiosity, where do you work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
and as far as the speakers I have owned...

Bose
Klipsch
MartinLogan
Paradigm
Magnepan
Infinity
Polk

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
tommy I found a set of mirage

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20050615.htm

you can get these from online retailers for around 799. these will also sound wonderful

And Gavin when you heard more than one setup with klipsch and yamaha then give someone your opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
my opinions are quite well respected around here, and have been for some time, Jim.

FYI, I still own the Paradigm and Magnepan

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Yes I have. Several as a matter of fact. With Synergy and Reference.

I tried my RB-5II just for giggles on a yamaha intergrated, and that was worse than my onkyo at the time.

Mirage are nice speakers as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
I work at an independant audio video retailer. Who has lasted through the opening of 3 big box stores in our city because people come and are impressed with our service and knowledge. I dont fool around with audio equipment I help people regardless of their money find the best possible equipmetn they can afford. I've heard the whole Yamaha line up even the rxz9. now tell me that this is a bright reciever. Every yamaha reciever has a different sound quality with different speaker.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
I never said you werent respected around I said that running those klipsch speakers with that yama amp would sound good. especially since he's using it mostly for music. he's gonna sound like he's sitting in the studio

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
that is a home theater receiver, and not the top of the line one at that. It is only a $200 entry level one, not a $2000 one.

so go pair bright speakers with a grainy amp and see what happens.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
and read HAWK'S comments above where he ALSO stated before I did that the receiver is bright.

This receiver is not the end all-be all you think it is my friend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
I Know its not I have 3 in front of me on my shelves. But this guy doesnt want something crazy expensive. He wants bang for his buck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
I know that. but my point (as well as hawks) is that this receiver is bright. You fail to see that. If you pair the Klipsch speakers with it, it may be tolerable for a short period, and perhaps even fun, but in the long run it will make your ears hurt.

Klipsch speakers are known to be bright. So far, the Canadian offerings that have come up in here have made the most sense.

I will give you the fact that the top of the line Yamaha equipment is outstanding, but the more inexpensive products usually leave a lot to be desired when it comes to audio quality and reproduction.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5604
I wouldn't mate Yamahe(not a favorite) with those Klipch at all.
For me, I would steer a bit clear of the T45's as well, their metal domes are always harsh( I swapped silk domes on my Psb's).
Paradigm offer a smooth delivery, but I would not buy anything to match that receiver without trying the speakers in the room. Period.

If you have any hard surfaces in the room, the Klipch and the Psb will be bright, if not harsh.
If they sound good to you, Tommy, great!
Please look around, look at your room(your personal listening space!), and check a little into room treatments.
Putting bright gear into a dead room might seem ok at first, but a dead room is just that.
In a lively room, the reflections must be hndled, no matter what the gear.

Be careful with that Yamaha, and your personal enjoyment area.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
I agree... You need to make sure that the equipment mate with the receiver. The room is a huge factor in the sound you hear.

I managed to overcompensate by matching my MMG's with a Rotel amp in a dead room.

Usually a dealer will let you return the speakers if they do not mate with the room or electronics.

Just a thought... What are you using for speakers currently?

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
haha...the compensation was just the way I like it :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
we take back speakers in our store if custs arent happy for 1 month. Personally I wish he was in my town cause we have a pair or rti8's from the floor for 600 bucks. we just sold a pair of paradigm Studio 60 floor standers for 700 bucks

Gold Member

Post Number: 5611
Now those Studio 60's are well priced and could work with a Yamaha receiver and a power amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
the guy I sold them too was frothing at the mouth. I almost bought them myself but I'm happy with my rti10's.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1487
I would go for the Onix RS450 Rocket their on sale for $799 at www.av123.com they are the best floorstander I have heard for under $1500 they can do everything really well,but they can draw you into the music like few foorstanders for under $2000,and they have by far the best finish anywhere near this price.As a matter of fact i have a review coming up on the www.avsforum.com that will be posted tomorrow,so tune in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5698
And I will, TW.
I am liking AV123 more and more.
Good response to my emails, willing to shoot the dice, too.
I might start with the xls.

Username: Harvey33

Costa Rica

Post Number: 5
With an Integra 7.7 receiver which speakers will sound better, Polk LSi15 series or the Paradigm Monitor 11 series. Has anybody ever heard them together?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12732
I prefer the Paradigm/Integra pairing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Mike, the Monitor 7 actually has better (tighter) bass performance than the Monitor 11.

My dealer stocks Integra, and they go together quite well, but every time I have heard the Monitor 11, I go back to the 7.

I am not too well versed on the LSi speakers, but Integra and Paradigm do go well together. They are often demoed together.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 380
Athenas f2.2
KLip reference series

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
Paradigm and Klipsch Reference are both better performers than the Athena.

Also, you would NOT want to pair the Klipsch with a Yamaha receiver. Bright receiver with a bright, revealing speaker would make your ears numb. Not a good combo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
"Paradigm and Klipsch Reference are both better performers than the Athena."

at least the older series.

Username: Fastnbulbous

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 1
I went through a search with a similar budget last year (under $800). I listened to Klipsch, Polk, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, and Rega. Most of them were via NAD receivers. I had a Yamaha HTR-5730 with plans to upgrade. I chose the Rega R3, because I really like how they have a front firing port, allowing them to be placed against a wall, a necessity in my studio space.

Mordaunt-Short Avant 908 ($700) also does this. Wharfedale Evo 30 is available at 44% off for ($731).

Username: Hross14

Austin, Texas USA

Post Number: 2
Not trying to Hi-jack this thread but i am also in the same boat to an extent. I have an Onkyo TX-SR-804 that i will use 70% music and 30% HT--5.1). I will be getting a VTF HSU but what about the rest? ALso going to be pulling the carpet and Room is 21x15x9 and i am a little more flexible on the price. So what says you??

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
with an Onkyo receiver, I would recommend looking at Paradigm and Wharfedale. They have a warm, rich sound that will compliment your receiver.

IMHO, stay away from bright sounding speakers suck as Klipsch or JMLab Cobalt. This combination will add hotness in the treble to a receiver already known to be a little on the bright side. This may or may not be to your liking, but I believe that it will cause more fatigue than enjoyment. I paired up klipsch with onkyo when I did not know a whole lot about sound systems, and the result was not too ear pleasing. It imaged VERY well, but was WAY too hot in the treble.

Username: Hross14

Austin, Texas USA

Post Number: 3
THanks for the response--i have been searching everywhere--have about a dozen different pages up trying to figure out what to do. HERE I GO

Gold Member

Post Number: 1490
Trust me Nuck you wont be dissapointed.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 86
To OP--

Boston Acoustic VR2s or VR3s can be had off ebay within your budget.

You can probably listen to the VR2s first at your local Circuit City.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 74
BOSE is best....period!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3941
Randy...go bobbing for apples and don't come up eh....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1495
The Bose....guy he's joking right?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12862
Don't mind Randy, T...He is a voice coil short of a speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1497
Thats funny Berny, it must be true though coming from you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5796
Randy and JW split a hit of acid.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us