Should I get a receiver

Username: Shaftofair

Post Number: 2
Should I get a receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1019
I dunno

Post Number: 5
I'm looking for sound quality, I'm pretty sure my little mini system does not cover that base..

Post Number: 6

Post Number: 8

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3861
. Appears to be all the info we got from you Sam. Hopefully you didn't really expect any help.

Post Number: 10
What info do you need?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12626
Budget? What is available in your area? Music or movies? How big is your room? What do you currently have?

You are looking for sound quality??? Do you know of anyone asking for recommendation that is specifically looking for crappy sound? :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I intend to watch a lot of movies and still listen to some music. My room is around 10x15x8.
I currently use this and only listen to music.

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Wurlitzer-WR18-Wurlitzer-CD-Player

I'm not really sure where I should start so I guess I can put about $2000 towards a receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Well after reading around I think I might want to go for a Pioneer Elite or maybe a Rotel Processor and amplifier??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12641
Can't go wrong with Rotel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
How would this do for a processor and amplifier?

Processor ... Amp ... Amp

Do you think that would do?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12642
Yup.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 88
Yes, an OK start. Am guessing that will sound a bit better than your little mini-system.

Sam, a shot in the dark, are you sand-baggin' it?

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1163
thats quite the system for someone that seems like a noob

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
What's the point in getting one thing better at a time and just get what you would get in the end? It's a waste of money if you don't. What for a speaker system and a tv now though?

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1165
well how do you know that what you want in the end? ever consider tubes? how about mono blocks? what about marantz, carver, NAD, B&K just to name a few? it seems you have no idea what you are getting into just selecting what most people think are good. thats my problem. but if you got the money go for it. just dont get complaining you want something else. speakers we can help you with. B&W would the perfect choice for you considering they use each other for showing off their own equipment. its also the best selling hifi speaker company in the world so it would fit in with your logic. TVs, go to the right forum. this is for audio, remember.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1111
Sam:

You have answered one of the important questions, which is, what is the size of your room? 10x15x8 is not a large room, so a 5 channel, 200wpc power amp seems a bit over the top. Very pricey, too. But before we take up that issue, there are other questions that need to be answered.

1. What is your budget?

2. What do you listen to? (that is, is this just for music, or do you want to use this in a Home theater, as well?)

Answer these questions and we can make some concrete suggestions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Budget? probably 30k total so I can beat my neighbor who has a nice system

What do I listen to? I listen to R&B and jazz most of the time, usually at ear-splitting levels
I will still find myself watching TV when something's on or when I feel like watching a movie, as from the PPV.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 89
3 + how many 0's?

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1118
OK. If you listen to jazz and R&B, you will want something very smooth and well defined. And, you tell me something else that is clearly important--you want to impress your neighbor. Hey, that's cool. Frankly, I am going to suggest what would be my dream system.

Since you have 30K to spend, but have a small room, let me suggest the following:

Pre/pro: Parasound Halo C-1
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHC1

Power Amp: Parasound Halo A52
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA52

These Parasounds may be the most beautiful components I have ever seen, and you cannot do better on the sound without spending at least twice or three times as much, if then.

Speaker package: A much tougher call here since your room is so small--getting something too large physically will cause all kinds of problems with interactions with the sidewalls (room boundry reflections) which will be a form of distortion. Still, you want something that will blow your neighbor away, so I recommend the Ohm Acoustics MicroWalsh Talls for your mains. See them here:

http://www.ohmspeaker.com/styles_microwalsh.cfm

These speakers are a mere 6" wide and 6" deep, and are 35" tall, so they will present no problems with fitting into your room. Additionally, they have two things that will blow your neighbor's mind. First, these are not mass produced, but in fact are hand-crafted to order--you choose the finish you want and it will be unbelievably nice (last I looked, they offered at least 15 different finishes). Second, they do not have typical cone type drivers. Instead, the sound is from a vibrating metal cylinder that to my ears has less distortion and a more realistic soundstage than any conventional speaker I have ever heard. Cost is a little over $1000 for the mains, but I haven't priced the center or surrounds; you should call Ohm and ask about a 5 speaker system package and I am sure they will assist you. This is factory direct so they really do want to please you (and you get 120 days to try them in your home--if they don't work, you just ship them back). Nevertheless, the entire surround system (less subwoofer) should cost no more than $2500 and it will really impress both your neighbor and you!

Subwoofer: Given the room size constraints and your ample budget, I would recommend the Velodyne SPL-800R, for about $1000. You don't want something that will physically take over your room, yet you want something that can really provide some serious low end power. This Velodyne can do it. Here is a link so you can see it, but I would find a good dealer of Velodyne near you who can show you more finish options:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VESP800R&variation=CHE

All told, this amounts to approximately $11,500, well within your budget and leaving you plenty of money for a great widescreen tv to complete your HT. If you want to spend less, you can save $2K by getting the smaller pre-pro from Parasound, the C-2. You can also save even more money by getting this Rotel receiver instead of the Parasound duo:

http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsx1067.htm

Doesn't have the the top drawer sound of the Parasounds, but it is close, and it looks great, as well.

Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Well, I got kinda spontaneous and ordered a Parasound C-1 and an A-51 (because I might go to a larger room later on). I'm going to contact Ohm and see if I can try out a system to see if I like it (120-day thing). Thanks for the suggestions man! As for the subs, I'll do some research there as well. Maybe I should be looking for an amply musical sub?

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1122
Sam:

Spontaneous? Shoot, I think you just broke some kind of speed record. I have to admit that I got so excited writing my post that I spent some time looking at ordering the Ohms for my study--I just love those speakers! If I can get the cash together (tough with a daughter in college), that is what I want.

If you got the A51, you really have ordered my dream system. Congratulations--that is simply awesome gear. Your neighbor is "a gonna die!" to quote RoseAnneaDannah, when he sees that Parasound gear.

As for the sub, I doubt if you will find a more musical sub than the Velodyne. Let me know if you find something else you like.

Happy listening!

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Thank you SO MUCH Hawk! It has exceeded my expectations SO MUCH! All I can saw is WOW! I ended completing it with this subwoofer called the REL Studio III and this Sony Projector.

Everytime I watch a movie or listen to music I am just floored by the realism! It's breathtaking! Wow Hawk, you really knew what you were talking about. Just FLOORED!
Oh BTW guys, for the rest of the house I just purchased 15 of those Behringer amps. It was a great party. I look forward to your help again!

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1240
So, Sam, you didn't answer the real question. Did you impress your neighbor? Heh, heh, heh . . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Man he is just FLOORED as well! He's never even heard of any of the brands I'm using except Sony...isn't that sad? When I first asked him over to view it, he thought it was all cheap equipment and then when he listened he was floored just like I was. Thank you very much! Currently my whole house is doing great in the way of audio, but if I do want to try something new or need something I'll let ya know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us