Truly Beautiful Speakers ...

Username: Jpnilsson

Post Number: 1
Ok - after our renovation, the apt has received a full face-lift and it's time to buy new speakers. While I loved my old pair, my wife has asked me to buy the most bautiful ones I can find because "those big black boxes" are just too much of an eyesore ...

Seems like a fair request and a fun one at that,since there are quite a few unique sleek speakers out there that would fit well in a modernly designed apartment. And while I am not an audiphile, the requirements from my end are that the spectrum is full, I can crank them and fill a 600sq ft living room, and ideally that I have enough juice with my new Sony STRDA-ES 5200 receiever (although I am happy to add an amp if you think I should - I assume the Sony is good enough as preamp).

Now, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, here are some examples of ideas that have gone over well so far - and to clarify, inobtrusive is only part of the goal since I could do in-wall (have wired) or Bose (her inital suggestion which I trying to stay away from). The goal is to find speakers that look like beautiful furniture and are an addition to the decor ...

So far, Paradigm Millenia ("still a bit tower looking"), Paradigm Signature in Rosewood ("still a bit big"), Shonberg Vienna Accoustics ("look great with grill off, just wish the speakers weren't so black" - see what I am dealing with here?) have almost passed the test. The new translucent Perfect8 speakers I showed her were, indeed, perfect in her mind, they just did not pass my budget requirement of not blowing more than $5k on this.

Pros - please take it from here. Any and all ideas much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1013
I like MartinLogan for that purpose. Well I like their sleek look anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3854
Totem speakers have a small footprint and sound great.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/index_eng.htm

This suggestion coming without having any idea of your application besides passing the spouse approval factor. We need to know more. What are they for Music or HT? If music what type? What will you be driving them with and what are your sources? That should get the ball rolling.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1017
early warning he got muddy watter he want mojo filter he said one and one and one is three got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see come together right now over me SHA ka....SHA ka...oh

Come together, yeah

...sorry

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3855
Pay no mind to Andre he's the forum delinquent...he means no harm.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 110
I myself have had experience with MartinLogan speakers, and will agree with Andre. They are truly spectacular when it comes to clarity (both in terms of looks and sonics). If they are not set up properly, they can be a touch thin, but they have a sound that is addictive to many. Some believe that they can hear a discontinuity between the woofer and the 'stat panel, and others can not. Your miles may vary.

I used to own a pair.

www.martinlogan.com

I will also recomend taking a look at Magnepan speakers. While they are not the most "sexy" speakers on the planet (some detest them), they are among the most unique. They are tall, and very thin (I believe an inch thick). The price to performance ratio is among the very best in the industry, with models from the factory starting out at around $550 for serious music speakers.

I myself own a pair of the MMG's, and love them. I listen to just about everything but metal, and they have a warm, seductive trait about them that is hard not to like. The bass does not go very deep, but it is tight, and has an astonishingly realistic accuracy of pitch and timbre.

www.magnepan.com

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1196
More than $5k but....

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 113
or these for less than 5K

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/products/loudspeakers/6-series/cp-6391

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 111
Some nice speakers on JMlab site...

http://www.focal-fr.com/accueil_en.htm

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5588
Anthony Gallo 3.1, with $ left over for the AG sub amp.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1339
Acoustic Zen Adagio, best $4000 speaker out there in my op.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2006
Klipschorns are nice furniture. They also have not too big of a foot-print because they snug into corners instead of being pulled out into a room.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 853
AV123 Mini Strata
Upload

Monitor Audio Radius
Upload

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 854
Ohm MicroWalsh Tall (In quirky sort of way)
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 331
The Piano Rosewood finish that AV123 offers looks pretty sweet.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 855
Yes the piano finishes from AV123 are stunning,
Upload
but their produced in VERY limited runs right now. The Piano Birdseye Maple is mable the most beautiful finish I've ever seen,
Upload
but it's not available at the moment. This will all change from what I understand in a few months when AV123 opens their new factory, then there will be a wealth of finishes to chose from.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1882
Oh my lord, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

For truly beautiful speakers have a look at Sonus Faber from Italy. Solid walnut cabinets, real leather front baffles. Just lovely. Slightly warm, rose tinted view of the world but good quality. The entry level Domus range should be within your price range.

http://www.sonusfaber.com

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1341
http://www.responseaudio.com/adagio.htm

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 856
Those are some handsome looking speakers Frank.

Which of the above do you find disagreeable? I'm betting it's the Ohms, I did said it was a "quirky" choice.

Here's another odd-ball Dr. Frankenstein's lab looking speaker that I like from MBL
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 857
I also like the finish on this discontinued speaker from HTD
Upload

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 858
...oh I forgot to mention the MBL's cost about $50K. Just a little over budget, sorry.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1883
Christopher,

I don't think any of them are that pretty to be honest. I appreciate that there are excellent finishes (I particularly like the look of the AV123 finish) but in terms of shape they're all either wacky or boring boxes which is not what Jonas's wife would like. Sonus Faber speakers still look like speakers but they have a certain elegance about most of their products which makes most women want to hug them...

Incidentally Jonas, another good looking speaker would be the Chario Sonnet from their Academy series, or have a look at their Constellation series.

http://www.chario.it

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 859
The only unique speaker shape I like from AV123 are the Mini Stratas. The other pics were just examples of finishes I like. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1199
These look like a hanging lamp, sound wonderful and are well under $5k per pair.

Upload
http://www.u-vola.com/u-speakers_eng.html

As for beautiful....

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 860
I've posted these Lowther DIY's before and I'll probably post them again. (Sorry Tim, I know you've seen them before)

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 41
Call me old-fashioned, but most speakers I have seen on this thread are butt ugly.
Give me plain ordinary looking boxes any-day.
Typical with hifi; when moving up in the price range the gear gets uglier and generally more kitschy

I like these B&W's a lot
Upload
But these simple, boring looking Epos's are the real lookers
Upload

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 861
If you like those Epos, then I think you'll like these Harbeth HL-P3ES-2
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Very nice indeed!

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
What about n0rh?

www.n0rh.com

I don't have any personal experience with them, so I cant offer any comments. But, I do know they are highly reviewed (whatever help that may be)

I have yet to see a speaker that does not review well.

n0rh definatly are not the boring box :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
oops

got the website wrong...I will look for it later. I have to run.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1030
Lol here... www.norh.com

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2009
Call me old-fashioned, but most speakers I have seen on this thread are butt ugly.
Give me plain ordinary looking boxes any-day.

At least the boxes you posted didn't have a full grill in front!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 354
Upload

Now, thats pretty!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 355
I know, over budget, but still.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3864
That's one fine looking speaker David...and we know how it sounds.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
thanks andre

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
thanks Andre

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
hmmm... double post time I guess... sorry about that :-)

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 356
As good as it looks!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 862
I do think that in sub-$5000 speaker category, those Mini Stratas are a stand-out value, and not bad looking, IMHO, to boot.

If you can be patient, I think the choice of finishes later this year will be worth the wait.

Silver Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 126
A set of these, tweaked to your taste with aftermarket drivers, if necessary =)

Upload

I have no idea how they sound, but their design is one of the cleanest I have ever seen. If you're into DIY, they have the potential to be whatever you want them to. That's my $.02

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1084
They look like they could be from the Waterfall brand. They look very contemporary, but no kiddies fingers please!

Username: Jpnilsson

Post Number: 2
ok - so there are quite a few amazing ideas here -- I am blown away by some of the more unusual designs like the norh.com speakers (wish I could see these in the U.S.) and these last ones (are they really waterfall? - they are not even on the Waterfall Audio home page!). Between the Focals and these, I am amazed how innovative the french design is (I would have guessed the germans would deliver here) and the italians (with the sonus fabers). Among the US contributions, the Martin Logans are gorgeous but still big. The AV123s seem like they will win huge mindshare when they get that new factory up and running. May just order those, unless I can figure out who makes these last ones ...

Silver Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 127
http://www.celestion.com/products/soundstyle/avs302.html

My opto-monetary acoustic ESP tells me they range somewhere in the realm of lo-fi, but pricing should be consistent with that level as a result (it's hard to find real, concrete numbers).

My idea for some time now has been to get a set, fab a new faceplate and install a high end full range driver - basically to build the speaker design around the foundation that is there in the form of the very sexy glass frame. Because they are cheap this has been an attractive project idea for me.

Your mileage may vary.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1109
Jonas:

Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder, as they say, but as I read your posts, I sense you want some tower speakers that aren't too big, with a beautiful wood finish. Now, You haven't said how big your listening room is (a very important factor), but I assume it is not overly large since you said you are in an apartment. Therefore, i will recommend two speakers, both of which provide beautiful music to go with their gorgeous finish:

1. Ohm Acoustics MicroWalsh Talls: These speakers are 35" tall, but they are a mere 6" x 6", making them very slender and sleek. Also, their cabinet is hand finished (furniture grade), so they look wonderful, as well. They are one of the very few speakers my wife will accept in our house.

2. Totem Hawks: Unlike most speakers which use a veneer over particle board construction, the Totem's cabinets are hand crafted of solid wood. The corners are mitred for strength, and again, the cabinet is hand finished. Best of all, the sound is superb. Again, it is a relatively slim tower that will not be an eyesore, especially since the cabinet has a furniture grade finish. You need to see these in the showroom to see just how beautiful they are in person--the website doesn't do them justice.

Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1573
Hawk -
Totem's cabinets aren't solid wood, they're MDF. They're veneered inside and out to add rigidity, along with the mitre joints you mention.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My wife would tolerate the looks of Sonus Faber more than anything else. The Totem and Vienna (not the Shoenberg or whatever its called) lines aren't too bad either in her opinion.

However, the Sony receiver the OP has won't drive pretty much any of speakers mentioned very well.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1116
Stu:

Then my Totem dealer lied to me! Still, they are beautiful speakers . . .

You are right of course--the OP's Sony has no hope of driving any of these wonderful speakers--I just assumed he would get a good power amp to drive them. Parasound Halo A23 would do the trick very nicely.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1887
Hawk, his room's not small at 600sq ft. Although that doesn't actually tell us dimensions.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1350
Hawk, there are some beautiful speakers though huh? I've had the Rainamkers for two years now and have yet to see a nicer finish for the $

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1351
there* = they

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1488
The most beautiful speaker I have seen is the Salksound Veracity HT-3 in standard finishes they are $3,899 with the full blown finish is $4,999.Jim Salk is a god with woodwork and to top it all off they regularly beat up on 20k flagships they are the best real world speaker on the planet,mine will be built very soon,a true tour de force here's their site: www.salksound.com

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 864
Those are sweet looking speakers T,

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1898
I must have poor taste or those pictures must be awful coz I think they look ugly...

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1066
OK,

I'll weigh in on something a little smaller and sleeker, since Jonas initially asked about something unobtrusive and WAF. Take a look at the ERA line, in cherry or piano black finish - very nice.

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.htm

Good luck, Dave

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1368
lol frank, I agree

Gold Member

Post Number: 5765
TW, they really do look like the 800lb. gorilla in the room.

2, in fact.

Of course, not as much as these.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1175378709

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 169
psb platinum t8 towers. for the price, I haven't heard better.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1905
Oh c'mon people. Luca, those Harbeths are plain ordinary boxes. Now these Sonus Faber Auditors are gorgeous speakers (in your price range I believe):

Upload

Another speaker well worth looking at(particularly on its own stand) would be Focal's Electra 1007be.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1109
The Aurum Cantus V3's are nice

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
These Diatones look great
Upload

So do these Pioneer Whiskey barrel speakers
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 356
Harnessing the power of whiskey for audio. For some reason I think I'd rather have the Sonus Faber speakers..

Silver Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 114
though pretty expensive, IMHO German Physiks make some of the most beautiful speakers out there

http://www.german-physiks.com/NewFiles/Gallery.htmlUpload

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1068
Geez,

After reading about the HT3s and seeing some pictuers and some of his other speakers and seeing the photos of teh Sonus, Aurums, Diatones and Physiks, I say buy them all.

Heck, I could probably pass some of these by the wife as furniture if I could only hide the dang wires, lol.

Keep those pictures comign.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5770
Those physiks look about to sprout arms and warn "Danger Will Robinson".

But hey, we are dealing with works of art, and artists emotions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5775
Sorry, these are the 800 lb. gorillas.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1175384175

Gold Member

Post Number: 1491
The HT-3s are works of art no matter what some these pedestrian speaker lover's say, the even more important aspect of the HT-3 is they completely devour anything under 10k and most overpriced 20k offerings with ease in the sound department,and oh they only weigh 130lbs a piece they aint that big.But i wont have them for about 4 months they take a fair amount of time to build,so until then most of you guys favorites so far will be in my room Monday,the Mini Strata and the beautiful SP-3 tube amp they will have to do until the HT-3's and AVA gear are ready .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1492
Oh....and my curent speakers in my system right now making lovely music and they have swept up a few awards as of late www.audioc.com

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 870
Upload

...What, not good enough for you?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3958
There you have it...the minimalist approach!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1504
Extremely!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5835
Andre ordered 336,594 of these for his next experiment.

MMBBWWWOOOOHHHAAAAA.

In the Kitchen.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 871
Things to come from AV123

First up, The X-Pro...
Upload
Upload

Next up, The X-SLS
Upload
Upload

Pretty neat stuff, aye?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1505
Yeah,the new X-Pro is gonna be real real hot,and the SLS is packing a bunch of performance in its cabinet for $319 a pair and beautiful build to boot.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 34
How about some Maggies?Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1523
Just a little update,the Mini Strata's are amazing they are much much better than I expected,I dont think im gonna fork out the extra money for the Salk HT-3's.The SP-3 tube intergrated amp is stunner to,I'll probably end up moving it to my 2nd system,with the extra 2k+ that I was gonna spend on the HT-3's im gonna use it to go for some Melody tubed monoblocks,Melody tube Preamp,and Melody tube CD player this setup should be a good reference to review anything with,the Mini's are stunning with a capital "S" I'll start a thread tomorrow and give you guys some feedback on them,I havent been this excited in a while and finnaly got something for me,instead of doing reviews for everyonelse,the rewards are sweet and enjoying every minute of it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us