Bose 701 Direct/Reflecting Series II with a NAD C372?

Username: Bsiedman

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I currently have a pair of Bose 701 Direct/Reflecting Series II speakers in my living room. I got them primarily to listen to CD's in Stereo (I am a total Stereo buff). I got them several years ago when my budget was limited...thinking I was going the right direction by buying a reputable brand name. I now realize that they aren't nearly the best (definitely don't want to start a Bose-bashing thread).

I would like to try to "salvage" the speakers on my current system. I have been driving them with an inexpensive Onkyo TX-8511 Receiver. I am thinking that my best bang for the buck would be to upgrade the receiver/amp.

After a ton of research, it seems that the NAD C372 is a wise investment for someone striving for great sound with a smaller budget. However, if I get the NAD, is it going to be completely limited by my Bose speakers? Is it complete overkill? Will I get sound that much better than with the cheapo Onkyo Receiver? Lastly, will it be necessary to get a high end CD player or will my current $150 CD player (and iPod) do the trick with the NAD?

Many thanks for your time,
Brett

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 163
well... first thing is first.

how big is your room, and what shape is it?

and, the series 2, are they the 701's with the powered woofer? I can't remember.

Post Number: 2
Thank you very much for the reply!

Room is about 22 feet by 15 feet square. However, it is a small one bedroom house that is very open, so this room is flowing into other rooms without doors (if that makes a difference?).

Yes, the Series 2 are the 701's with the powered woofer on the left.}

Appreciate your time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Are you satisfied with the sound that the speakers put out? If so, than I would recommend putting money into better components.

If you wish to upgrade from the Bose, there are other options that many feel offer better performance for the price.

For integrated amplifiers, I feel that the Onix lineup offered by AV123 is among the most competitive in the price class.

What I would recommend if you are looking to keep the speakers is this:

The Onix A-60 integrated amp and the Onix XCD-99 CD player ($495 and $399 respectively)

Both of these units are positioned to bring a taste of the high end to a commonly mass marketed pricepoint. That CD player will be heads and tails better than one that can be purchased at a chain type store for the same price, and would make a decided improvement in your current system if that was the only thing you changed.

But, adding both the integrated and the CD player will help out in the long run if you decide to change your speakers in the future. It will also sound better than running off a mass market receiver.

Onix integrated amp:
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=20.1

Onix CD player
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=48.1

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5717
Brett, just an aside. What do you like best about the 701's?
I have not heard them, but another on-line buddy has then as well, and raves.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
I have seen many raves (as well as rants) about the 601II and 701II. Could it be possible that Bose really had something with these speakers?

I listened to the 601's at my Paradigm dealer about 4 years ago, and liked the sound. They were one of the few Bose speakers of any vintage that I could listen to for a stretch of time. They had a warm, mellow sound with much better bass than I expected.

Unfortunately they were discontinued. To my ears the 601 actually sounded better than the 901. I wonder if Bose discontinued these speakers because they were stealing sales from their "flagship" speaker.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Gavin and Nuck.

I agree with you Gavin about the sound of the Bose. Very nice bass and warm. I just assumed that people would be telling me that a new integrated amp would be overkill for them, but sounds like I can really benefit from a new amp (as well as keep my system scalable for when I can afford high end speakers).

If let's say 3 years down the road I will be able to afford high end speakers, should I stick with my original NAD idea now or should I look further at the Onix with the lower wattage? My thinking is that it may be worth it to spend a few extra hundred $$ now to avoid having to buy a new integrated amp in a few years. But, I may be looking at this the wrong way.

Many thanks gentlemen,
Brett

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Brett, Onix makes an intergrated that produces 120 watts per channel, but to put it another way, going from a receiver to an integrated is like going from a clunker car to a Honda S2000. Your old clunker may have a higher horsepower engine, but the S2000 has much more punch, and a higher power to weight distribution.

Basically, that 60 watts is rated VERY conservatively. It will be able to maintain its power rating under a load, which is something receivers have tremendous difficulty.

The reason why I mentioned Onix is I feel that the tonal qualities of the NAD will not mesh well with the sound of the Bose, specifically in the midrange. NAD equipment usually have a lush, full sound. The Bose speakers also have a similar sound (albeit to a greater degree). This pairing may suit your ears, but IMHO the midrange will become overbearing

The Onix integrated amps have a reputation for having a lot of control and drive, even on demanding speaker loads. Should you decide to upgrade your speakers in the future, this amp should still fit the bill.

Sound wise, they are stated to be clean and clear, and slightly analytical. This will enable you to pick up some detail you may be currently missing.

Here is the link to the A-120 integrated put out by Onix. But, the A-60 will drive a 4 ohm load with ease, and should do you well should you decide to upgrade your speakers in the future.

As a note, the A-120 is sold out as of right now.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=21.1

FWIW, I still think that the addition of that CD player would help out tremendously as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Besides, if and when you decide to pair your Bose with an integrated (and/or CD player), you may find that the performance of your sound system is to a point that you are satisfied with it.

Then you would stop looking to upgrade the components until you need to.

This is also food for thought.

Post Number: 4
That is very true.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all your help Gavin. I will seriously check out the Onix (and probably go with it).

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
you are very welcome :-). I'm glad that I could help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
OOPS!!!

The only thing is this...

If you want to use your speakers for home theatre usage, you will lose the ability to hook up the subwoofer pre-out to the speakers when going to a stereo intergrated amplifier.

This is a stereo receiver, and is has been reviewing excellently by major audiophile publications. It DOES have a subwoofer pre-out, if that is something of importance to you.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

This is one of the only stereo receivers that I can think of off the top of my head at a modest price that will drive a 4 ohm speaker (important if you decide to upgrade to a 4 ohm speaker), is rated honestly at 100 watts per channel, and has a subwoofer output. This receiver is in a totally different league than the ones that you see in BestBuy and the like.

However, if a subwoofer pre-out is not of total importance, I would still recommend going for an integrated amp.

According to the Bose manual, it is optional to hook it up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
The receiver you have currently does NOT have a subwoofer pre-out either.

I still recommend going with the integrated over the receiver. The speakers will still reproduce all the bass. The pre-out is necessary for when you are watching surround sound sources, when bass would be sent to a subwoofer.

Being that you bought them to listen to music, give them the best you can :-)

Post Number: 6
Hey Gavin,

I am with you. I had researched the Outlaw already and decided I didn't need the sub feature and that my money would best be spent on overall stereo sound. Someday, I will get a totally different set for Surround purposes, but for right now music is the ultimate.

Thanks for all your help. You set me straight.
-Brett

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5738
Being that you bought them to listen to music, give them the best you can :-)

Yup!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Going by what I have heard myself from the 601's, it is a shame that Bose discontinued these speakers. I liked the 601's better than the 901's. They had nice bass response, decent highs, and warm mids. It was about time Bose designed a speaker that had deep, tuneful bass AND nice highs.

The only bone is that the Bose center channel, while OK, is not one of the better ones that I have heard.

The last time I heard the 601 (which sounds similar to the 701) was 4 years ago, so my opinion of it might be different now. But, I did like it then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
"The only bone is that the Bose center channel, while OK, is not one of the better ones that I have heard."

Actually, it is only a marginal step up from the Acoustimass speakers, and that isn't saying much. Most of the hostility of Bose speakers in here is directed at the Acoustimass speakers. I admit that I liked the 601's the last time I heard them.

This was in case you were thinking about using them in a home theater in the future.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 219
i have the 701's hooked up as my front speakers and am happy with them. i will upgrade eventually but they serve the purpose now. see them at the bragging area "my 2 set up's".

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3905
I had the 601's in the early 80's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Art,

Bose re-introduced the 601's back in 2001 (I think) as the 601II. I assume you probably know this, but just in case you dont. It's food for thought. They bring back a classic, and discontinue it again.

IMHO it was one of their best sounding speakers, right below the original 501, with the 10 inch woofer. When they brought THAT back, they basically turned it into a floorstanding acoustimass speaker.

Needless to say, it sounded like one.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3906
I had a terrible amp when I had the 601's. They really were a very good speaker as I remember it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
Wow... I should call Ripley's Believe it or Not...

This thread is about a Bose speaker that we actually like. Imagine that.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 462
Brett,

How did you make out?

Post Number: 7
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for asking! AV123 discontinued the A-120mkII (as well as the A-60mkII). I was told by a "Mike Garner" in customer support that they will be "replacing it with the X-empower sometime in 2007." Have you heard anything about it? If so, think it will be the right choice for my needs still? Looking forward to placing the order! :-)

Thanks,
Brett

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 464
I still think that the AV123 lineup will be the best bet. I have heard of it, and it is generating quite a buzz.

I can't speak of how it sounds, as I have not heard it. But, I still think the NAD would be a mis-step for the reasons we discussed before.

Post Number: 8
Thank you. I will patiently wait for AV123 to release the next version this year. I will email you with the final result once the order is placed and it is installed. Thanks again :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us