Cant decide

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 41
I cannot decide whether to get a yamaha rx-v659 or the pioneer vsx-80txv. I am looking for a lot of power and what can deliver more richer sound. I only listen to music by the way. I have a pair of Polk Audio Rti10's as fronts and a psw12 sub.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 263
If you don't need the tuner go for a Rotel or NAD intergrated amp.

"I am looking for a lot of power and what can deliver more richer sound"

Not in the choices you listed.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 42
What would be a significant wattage amp to go with in the Rotel or Nad lineup? Which model?

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 43
the rotel integrated amp is only rated at 60 watts...the receiver I listed puts out 100.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12593
First, you need to get off the wattage power as basis for how well an amp or a receiver is made. Those numbers are misleading and not regulated.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 264
the rotel integrated amp is only rated at 60 watts...the receiver I listed puts out 100.

No, that 100w is more like 10 (if that). The Rotel and the NADs will have much bigger power supplies in them. I have an old NAD 701 receiver that is rated at 25w, and it will kill any of those units you are looking at. Also remember that the NAD or Rotel will be able to play at loud levels and sound much better than the other units you mentioned.

Poke around in the forum here for more info.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5559
hehe, different animals, Tommy.
Ignore the watts.
Check the weight, in lbs.
And power consumption.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 265
More watts does not mean better sounding.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3846
NAD C325BEE is one of the best bargains going right now. For just a bit more cash you get the Rotel. Tommy, check power rating into 4 or 2 ohms you'll find that the NAD's and Rotels have the current to drive your speakers in way that will make them sound like you also upgraded them. Listen to these fella's they know of what they speak.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1100
Tommy:

About four years ago (May, 2003), I attended a double blind demonstration at a local dealership of four HT receivers. Three of them, a Yamaha, an Onkyo, and a Denon (as I recall) were rated at 100 wpc. The fourth receiver was an NAD T742, rated at 50 wpc. We (a group of 8) listened to both musical programming and a selection of DVDs (I remember Lord of the Rings as the Fellowship struggled up a snowy mountain, with lots of music). The speaker system used were the same with each receiver.

Long story short, the unanimous opinion of everyone was that receiver "D" was louder (more dynamic), cleaner, and more convincing in both musical programming and HT. Turns out the unanimous winner was the little NAD. Where the other brands seemed to strain at putting out dynamic passages, the NAD sounded totally in control, handling dynamic passages with aplomb.

My point is not to convince you that you need an NAD receiver, but to illustrate what everyone else is saying--watts from one maker are not the same as watts from another, a bit like comparing apples with oranges. In my experience, there are only five brands that put out real power for less than $1K (your maximum budget, I presume). They are: Harman/Kardon, Marantz, NAD, Outlaw, and Pioneer Elite (but NOT Pioneer!). While I agree with the other posters that you would be better off with an integrated amp from NAD or Rotel, I note you have a powered subwoofer, so you may prefer a HT receiver for future growth towards a HT system. But if all you want is a music system, I would stick with an integrated amp. As your Polks are a pretty efficient speaker system, Art's suggestion of the NAD C325bee would make for a superb system.

As you say you are looking for "a lot of power" and "can deliver richer sound", I believe you can delete the Yamaha from your list---it can't deliver, IMO.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 266
You posted that it's for music only, so please don't buy a home theatre receiver. I have a NAD 763 home theatre receiver, great unit, but for music any NAD intergrated amp would a much better choice. I have NAD 2-channel gear as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5570
AND any resonable sub will carry speaker level inputs, without affecting a 2 channel amp.

Sooo?

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 44
I think I will lean more towards the Rotel amps...

This here should out perform the receivers I listed to go with my Polk Audio Rti10's, and is a much better choice correct?

http://rotel.com/products/specs/ra1062.htm

Thanks for all the help!

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 46
Actually this Rotel integrated amp I listed is ridiculously expensive...700 bucks at my local store! I was only expecting around to spend about 400 on an amp. The Polk Rti10's are going to cost me about 740 bucks alone.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12640
See if you can get a Marantz sr421 for that price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5593
Pay for what you get, Tommy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5594
How many posts have you seen saying, 'myyadda yadda blew up, my yip yip wont run these speakers, my whoop de doo shuts down, my wonk brand died after a year.

How many Rotel posts read like that?

Username: Scott

Post Number: 2
Hi Nuck. I had my heart set on the Outlaw 1070 until reading on many forums the problems they have been having. Can you recommend a model NAD and Rotel to push Axiom M60 fronts, V150 center, and QS8 surround, SVS PB12-Ultra sub. Like to stay around $1000 if possible. Will go more if there is a good reason.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 13
Just wondering guys would you put Cambridge Audio in the league with nad??? or are their int amps consiered inferior???

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12784
What problems are they having with Outlaw?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us