Rotel class d amplifiers

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 145
what gives? why is rotels new lineup of amplifiers class d? is this the future of amplification? were their class a/b amps not doing well? Is class D amplification done right inferior/superior to a/b amps? Is it just a size/efficiency thing or is their an actual audible/economical difference? Too many questions not enough answers.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 317
Class D is more efficient pound for pound. It also puts off less heat. Some people think it sounds thin/clinical/whatever, and don't like it. Some think it is the next coming of the messiah. Try it and see what you think.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1878
Class D is far more efficient than A/B. Whereas class B is about 65% efficient, class D is about 90% efficient. So class D amps run cooler than A/B, which means that no heatsinks (or very small ones) are required in smaller casework with very little ventilation. You can make a small powerful amplifier that can fit in many environmentally inhospitable locations such as inside speakers, walls, ceilings.

Sonically, class D lags behind A or B, but imaginative solutions (such as Tripath's 'class T' which is class D reworked) have wrought some quality from these amps.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5554
Still a ways off from Class 'A'.
I can see for miles and miles...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5555
And for Rotel, it's one new line. Not the future.

Silver Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 119
What he said...

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1162
jesus its only three amps. dont get a hernia over it.

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 151
haha.. thanks chris. I almost busted a nut, thanks for the response and saving me a hernia

Didn't realize my OP was so dramatic. Sorry to worry you i suppose.

Deal here is, I'm a fan of rotel electronics as they were and am anxious to "hear" the new class "D" sound.

The dealers readily available to me only have the ss amps in stock and i cannot demo them.

I am also curious as to others who have maybe done a direct comparison and their thoughts of the new products rotel has implemented.

Sorry if I came across like the world is coming to an end...;; :P

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 152
Nuck; why are class d amplifiers "done right" not the future? Its definitely being done in the present.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5607
jeff, remember the biggest hype about class 'D'?.
It was going to be a chip driven marvel that anyone could afford, offering the quality of an expensive analog amplifier.
I have yet to hear quality(yet to hear the Rotel, too!), and sure as hell yet to hear quality at a cheap price that should accompany the technology.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1893
We're doomed, doooooooomed I say...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5621
I buy Frank a pint.

Just so's he doesn't go out at the intersection wearing a sandwichboard with his last post.

Silver Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 123
Well I guess class-d wouldn't be my first choice, but maybe in the future. We'll just have to see what the future brings us.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5668
1.21 Jigawatts, that's what.

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 163
if not class D, something else will come along eventually that will be more efficient and sound great that will become the "standard" (mainstream) of audio that a/b has become for the meantime. A/B your days are numbered!!!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1908
There is no doubt in my mind that class D has potential. I have heard a couple of implementations which have been really quite surprisingly good. The Naim n-Vi is an all-in-one HTIB solution using 5 Tripath (aka class T) amps. As I said earlier, the class T is a reworking of class D. Naim's solution is one of the most musically satisfying. It's not as good as Naim's own class B amps (even the most basic Nait5i), but in comparison to other similarly priced solutions (e.g. Arcam DV137/AVR350), it is at least in the same ballpark and, some would say, even better musically. In terms of clarity, transient response etc., it competes strongly, and this from a one-box solution!

I've also heard the Chapter Audio class D implementations, and although they have left me cold, they are no doubt very capable and compete strongly in their price range against conventional competition. There was no area where they could be faulted, merely not my taste. That said, Chapter have had a couple of implementations and there's no doubt in my mind that the latest are most definitely leagues ahead of their first implementation.

I think the designers are learning how to make the technology work to best effect. Give that the amps are so efficient, require very little warm-up time and the fact that we can't keep burning our resources forever, class D has got to be considered as a serious prospect for the future...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us