Yet another speaker thread - Which room, Floorstanders or Bookshelf - Pls advise.

Bronze Member
Username: Srinivos

DFW

Post Number: 16
I have been doing extensive research on speakers in the last few weeks. I would like some input on my situation regarding the placement & type of speakers. I am attaching a layout of my living room & den with possible seating positions. Ideally, I would like to have them integrated with my HT setup in the living room unless there is some strong advise to the contrary(due to tv position or room reflections etc). I had a failed experience with Triangle Speakers which were too bright for my taste. In a HT setup, usage will be about 50% music, 40% TV(network, sports) & 10% movies.

http://picasaweb.google.com/srinivos/Floorplan/photo?authkey=1z7aT2xVwbA#5024051 765963272562

I am worried about disturbing the neighbors if I decide on either B or C. I think the walls are pretty thin, I could even hear their cheering when Peyton won the game last Sunday :-)
Other than 'A', another possible placement for the speakers would be along the right long wall of the living room. Again I don't know much about placement & consequences of having a 50" RPTV reflecting part of the sound.

Helpful members here have advised me regarding the speakers I should be auditioning & I would like to build on that. My music tastes lean towards rock(70%) - classic, alternative, modern & classical - instrumental, indian fusion, vocal(30%). To give an idea, my compilation disc for demos has Pink Floyd , Zeppelin, REM, Nirvana, AC/DC, The Byrds, Coldplay, Police, Gorillaz & a few string quartets. I prefer a warm sound, with a good, tight bass, nice mids and smooth highs.

My budget for the speakers alone is up to $1500 & around $1000 for electronics(receiver/pre/pro). I assume it will limit me to used in case of separates. A matching center channel is a plus for future upgrade.

Current equipment:
Energy Take 5.1 (will go)
Energy ESL-10 subwoofer
Yamaha RXV496 (will go)
Homebuilt music server
Roku Soundbridge
Kimber Kables 4PR speaker wire (upgrade if needed)
Audio Research interconnects

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 17
I found these names from the local dealers homepages. Obviously, I can't listen to all of them so I would like to narrow it down to about 8-10. I auditioned a few so far, I have mentioned the models in ().

Audio Physic
Anthony Gallo (Reference 3)
Atlantic Technologies
Atlantic Technology
Aerial Acoustics
Boston Acoustics
B&W (602, 603, 604)
Cabasse
Definitive Technology
Dynaudio
DCM Loud Speakers
Earthquake
Epos
Earthquake Sound
Eminent Technology
Era
Golden Sound
Hansen Audio
Innersound
James Loudspeaker
Jamo
Kef
Linn
Magnepan
Martin-Logan(Vista)
Meridian
Matrix Audio
Monitor Audio
Nola
Paradigm (Monitor 7, Reference 60)
ProAc
Quad (12L, 22L)
Revox
Rega (R5)
Soliloquy
Snell
Sunfire
Spendor
Sonance
Sonus Faber
Stereostones
Tannoy
Totem (Arro, Rainmaker)
Triad
Usher
Velodyne
Von Schweikert
Vandersteen (2Ce)
Wilson Audio
Wilson Benesch

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5552
Yup, that one there.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 333
Audio Nirvana huh?
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 334
BTW, with your budget for speakers, you can eliminate quite a few of those mentioned, do a quick google on some and you'll get the idea.

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 18
Hmm...OK. I can list the ones I have read about. Basically they are the speakers in the <$2K price range used. What I don't know is how many of them would are worth auditioning. Here goes:

Audio Physic - Yara, Tempo 3i, Spark (Used)
Aerial Acoustics Model 8 (Used)
Boston Acoustics VR3
B&W 603, 604
Definitive Technology
Dynaudio Audience 62,72
Epos M15.2
Eminent Technology LFT-VIII
Era Design 5
Jamo E855, E875
Kef iQ9
Linn Komponent 110, AV 5140 (Used)
Magnepan MMG, 1.6
Monitor Audio RS-6
Nola Viper, Esprit (Used)
Paradigm (Monitor 7, Reference 60)
ProAc 2.5, studio 110/200
Quad 12L, 22L
Rega R5
Soliloquy 5.3
Snell Type B,D,E
Spendor S5e, S6e(used)
Sonus Faber Concertino
Tannoy Sensys DC-2
Totem Arro, Rainmaker
Usher S-520, X-series
Von Schweikert VR-1, VR-2
Vandersteen 2Ce

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1571
I'm under a little bit of a time constraint, so I'll give a quick opinion. Rock is mainly about Pace, Rythym, and Timing - PRaT - in my experience anyway. I listen to a lot of the stuff you mentioned.

A couple of the listed brands you may want to look into that are known for their PRaT qualities (no in preference order) -

Rega
Epos
Linn
Quad
Spendor
Totem

Magnepan's are a very quick speaker, but are missing something when trying to reproduce rock IMO. I haven't heard all of these, or all of their models, but these are the ones I'd look into personally. Your room, amplification, and just as importantly - your source will all play a crucial role as to what works best. Some of the others may work better than what I listed though. Everyone listens for different things.

Username: Bhd

Post Number: 1
One observation is that you've got a mix of different kinds of speakers (bookshelf, floorstanding, panel), with different kinds of trade-offs. It might make sense to narrow down a few examples of each class.

I recently bought some Era Design 5s, and really like them. So I'd recommend demoing those and maybe the Totem Rainmakers as examples of good bookshelf speakers (the Paradigm Studio 20s are also good in that class, but I don't see them on your list).

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 19
Stu:
Those are the same names I have come across repeatedly mentioned in various discussions. I have auditioned a few so far & I would like to listen to some more before I narrow down my choices. Of the ones you mentioned, I've auditioned Quad, Rega & Totem so far. I found most of these brands among 2 audio stores here in Dallas, Rega/Linn/Spendor/Paradigm/Proac at one & Audio Physic/Quad/Dynaudio/Era/Totem at another. The first dealer suggested that the Spendor S5e will not be a good match & next model up(s6e/s8e) is beyond my range. I liked Paradigm Monitor 7 followed by Rega R5.
At the 2nd one, I heard Quad 12L, 22L & Totem Arro, Rainmaker. I really liked the 22L. I've asked if he could arrange a demo of Dynaudio 62 & Era(he says they are coming out with floorstanders).

Bruce:
I think I should take out the Magnepans from the mix. I am okay with BS or FS since I want to integrate into HT system & if a bookshelf w/sub is sounds good, then why not?

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 20
Speakers I auditioned listed in the order I liked most to least:

Quad 22L
Paradigm Monitor 7 (great bass but slightly forward & muddier mid-range compared to quad)
Rega R5 (very neutral, good soundstage, ok low-end)
Totem Rainmaker(amazing soundstage for the size, mids & high very smooth, bass as expected for the size, price/performance is a little high)
B&W 603, 604 (slightly bright esp. 604)
Vandersteen 2Ce (I listened to the Vandys for about an hr but I just didn't feel it. Maybe it was the material or the room, I don't know but it was definitely a letdown. Plus, it is quite an eye sore in a HT setup).
Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1 ( blah!)

Is it worth auditioning Dynaudio 62s with the Quad 22L? Are they similar in performance for the price? Also, what about Audio Physic?

The Quads had the best combination of warm sound, mid-range & a tight bass response. The glossy lacquer finish is very tempting, so far it has been my favorite but new one is around $1600. I would like to compare it with something similar in performance & looks before I take the plunge.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us