Best bang for the buck floorstanders?

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobuff

Post Number: 16
Countless threads made about this i know, but i was also wondering if a pair of PSB Alpha-T's are a good buy at $299? I am 18 and looking for something that has good sound quality, is in the $300 price range and will complement my HK 3480 and JBL s120PII Sub,

Thanks guys!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Ok guys, check this out, what if i plop 4 of these bad boys in place of the current woofers in the sony? i dont mind the sound of the tweeter and mid, the bass is lacking though, what do you think?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-366

If anyone knows the ohm rating on the stock sony ssmf750 speakers ( the subs in them) please tell

thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 79
I would not recomend doing that. Speakers are designed as a whole, to work together as a synergistic system. If you do that, you could do something as simple as overpower the tweeter and mid, or destroy your crossover.

Worst case scenario, you could destroy your receiver with the shift in impedence. You need to know the impedence rating on the woofers before you replace them, but you already know that.

There is something else you need to know as well..

put a pair of woofers in a box that is too large or small and nothing good will come out of it either. The port diameter (provided the speakers are ported) needs to be precisely matched to the size of the box vs. the excursion of the cone, not just the size.

if it isnt, you could end up damaging your amplifier just as easily as you could if the impedence was not matched.

Taking all of this into consideration, the optimal
speaker enclosure for those woofers may be a totally different shape than the one you have.

This isnt even getting into the crossover slope changes that might have to be made :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
in the $300 price range, the only thing that I can think of that would be competitive is this

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=94.1

it is still in development, so I doubt that anyone has heard it. I just can't think of a tower speaker for $300 that would sound halfway decent.

my overall advice to you would be to start a new thread asking for suggestions on the best bang for the buck speakers in general :-P

don't discount bookshelf speakers. Some of them have outstanding bass, and will probably put a smile on your face.

Most people in here know what they are talking about. From time to time we make you wonder :-P

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 460
The Athena AS-F2.2 is $400 for the pair at www.audioadvisor.com. I had the previous AS-F2 until recently. They have a nice deep rich sound and can rock your socks off. They are on the bright side though. The warmth of the HK would complement them well.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 840
Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 for $199
http://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-Diamond-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers-Black/dp/B00 005IA32

...Also, keepan eye out for the Polk R300 & Monitor 50 when they go on sale from time to time on @ Fry's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks for your help guys, those r300s are nice? i know they go for $50 on sale, i assumed that they were cheap because who would sell a decient pair of speakers for $100?

Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 306
If you're just looking for more bass, I'd consider tweaking your current settings a bit as opposed to buying new speakers. How are your speakers placed currently? Crossover settings on the subwoofer?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 307
Phase settings on the subwoofer too.

Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 10
Remember: when people on this or any other forum give you speaker recommendations, they are merely giving you advice based on their listening skills and biases. As a crude example, I might trust Wynton Marsalis if he told me the speakers sounded realistic. But I would probably be skeptical if Joe Blow said the same thing. Best advice: personally audition whenever possible. And unless you have money to burn, never drop a big load on speakers without first listening.

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
Yea, Jim Bob is right. So, pass the Athenas by because I think they are still only available via the internet. I bought them when they had them at Best Buy in 2004.

You could also keep an eye on your local newspaper classified ads. I sold my Athenas that way. I recently saw Infinity towers listed for dirt. People are always upgrading their systems so it pays to look for the used stuff.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 841
The R300's represents a great value, hence the "Best Bang for the buck floorstanders". I have the R15's, the predecessor to the R150's (the R300's baby brother), and they're pretty neat speakers. I know I'm no Wynton Marsalis, heck I'm not even a Al Yankovic, but this Joe Blow has listen to his share of speakers, and the list above represents a starting point from where to begin your search.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
"Remember: when people on this or any other forum give you speaker recommendations, they are merely giving you advice based on their listening skills"

Yes Bob i agree, Any input on those PSBs? What about the PSB Image T45 for $499?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
I really dont want you to mess with your speakers and screw them up. that is a job only to be done if you really know what you are doing IMHO.

PS. I forgot about wharfedale and PSB if you are really itching for new speakers. They are fine performers.

I would evaluate what you are looking for long and hard before you purchase a new pair of speakers first. While I feel that they both are better performers all around, they still may NOT meet your expectations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
I believe that Diana Krall still uses Totems in her system, and they don't cost a fortune either. That has to say something about the musicality of totem, as her ears arent made of tin. She can pretty much afford whatever she wants.

Alas, they are more than your budget.

just an aside about musicians and speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 500
audiobuff, i have the athena f2.2 from audioadvisor and they are awesome. i cant think of a better $400 you could spend. i recently spend the weekend at my uncles who has the definitive tech floorstanders that were $800 and mine sound just as nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 11
Gavin, assuming your info is accurate, that would be an excellent starting point. Krall has a crystal clear voice and her musical enunciation is outstanding-comparable to Linda Ronstadt on the Nelson Riddle recordings. If she likes the Totems, that's a good sign. Although some might prefer a little more bass punch.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 844
Guys, you do realize the kids budget is $300.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 311
Also uhh...
"i dont mind the sound of the tweeter and mid, the bass is lacking though, what do you think? "

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Jim Bob,

it is well known to reviewers that she has (possibly had by now) Totem Acoustics Arrow speakers.

It is stated in numerous reviews, here is one

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/totem/arro.html

there is a quote in there that says "Diana Krall uses a pair, how bad could they be?"

keep in mind that she could easily afford a pair of $50,000 speakers, and the fact that she is using a pair of less than $1400 speakers speaks volumes about the quality of totem, and the pricing of speakers in general.

yes I know this is off topic, I am getting off my soapbox.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
yes, I realise the budget thing.

I was just making an aside about Chris M. and celebs with good speakers. Not all of them use speakers that cost a fortune.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
lol i understand, i really am leaning towards the Athene F2.2's, i recall auditioning them at best buy and loving the sound. Once i get them ill be sure to check back and tell you how the entire system sounds. db-bass, im at a friends right now, does audioadvisor have free shipping?

Again, A big thanks to everyone that helped!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I maybe should have broadened my search.

My local audio store has the Energy RC-10's on sale, being a bookshelf, what is the sound output as compared to a floor-standing speaker? I want them to be loud sometimes but not harsh. I hear the sound quality is amazing. Opinions?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 325
If you're just looking for more bass, as indicated in your original post, you're going in the wrong direction.

Amazing sound is different to different people. What is it specifically that you are looking for.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hmm its hard to explain, not more bass, better blending between the speakers tweeter and woofer. The sonys produced more bass but it overpowered the tweeters and mid at times. I am definitly looking for sound quality (output is not as big of a deal). I just came back from auditioning those RC-10s and man, they sound great, bass shouldnt be a problem with the subwoofer i have, i will be listening to mostly classic rock with some hip hop. The RC-10s had just the right amount of bass and clarity ( at least to my ears). Is it ok to be using them for a stereo system is my main question right now.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 326
Out of curiosity, how are the Sony's and your sub placed? Have you tried tweaking the settings on your subwoofer? Don't suppose the bass is turned up on your receiver at all, is it? How are you crossing over your speakers to your sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
hmm lets see. []<--that means speaker. HHH< thats the entertainment center. #< that means sub. ok so here is the setup

[]HHH[]#

bass is really not an issue, ive got to get away from those harsh sony tweeters and get into hifi

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 328
Now were changing the story!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
yeah, as ive been posting and doing research the last few days my story has been changing.

I splurged and picked up The RC-10s just 30 min ago, i can still take them back if they were a bad choice.

All i have to hook them up to is my crappy pioneer VSX-D412-K and trust me, its crappy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
What happened to your HK 3480 that you said you had in your original posting?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Its still in transit

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Ok guys, im having second thoughts again, its between two pairs of speakers (and ONLY those two). The Athena F2.2s or Energy RC-10s.

I need a vote here!

Athena F2.2 or Energy RC-10!!!

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
if we vote on these speakers, it will come down to OUR personal preference, not YOURS. While we may be satisfied with the sound, you may not.

I have more experience with Athena than Energy, and do like the sound that Athena speakers put out for the price. I am not going to tell you that Energy are bad speakers (they aren't), it is just that I am not an Energy "expert".

You need to trust your ears. If you loved the sound of the Athena speakers, odds are you still will.

Either way, they will be a step above your current speakers if they are powered correctly.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12639
Hooray for personal preference! A vote will only tell who likes what and not indicative of which is better.

Listen to them if at all possible. I believe both speakers are made by the same group..API.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
You are correct Bernie, i heard that Athena has made some speakers and used passive radiators, does anyone know what the internal wiring is like with the Athena's.

Will i really be getting a ton more punch out of Athena's? how much different would the SQ be? i cant audition the Athenas, if someone who has heard both the RC's and the Athenas could post that would be great.

Im all about personal opinions, i form my own off of hearing what people have to say, so by all means, post which set you would go with!

Thanks

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 333
I would just stick with the Energy at this point. No sense in endlessly torturing yourself. And no, you won't be getting a ton more punch with the Athena. The sub helps even out what differences there might be between the two in that area.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 359
I vote for the Athenas, we have a local dealer here that carries the Energy line. Simply put, I dont like em, they (to me) sound very "flat", and not in a good nuetral way, there is just a lack of depth that bugs me.
They do perform OK with bass though, even if if is unnatural sounding, but, arent the most detailed speaker line around so if you like your classical, forget about it!
Just my 1/2 cent.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 360
just to confuse you of course!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 361
Take Gavins advise, trust your own ears, its you that has to live with em.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2010
Always good bargains to be made in the used market.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us