Nad with wharfedale

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 36
are nad and wharfedale a good match, if not can anyone give me a speaker that matches very well with nad, I would go and listen to them but the audio store that carries both nad and wharfedale, is an hour away from me, they also sell Paradigm and Magnepan, would any of these be a good choice to pair with nad??? thanks for any help.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1076
Although I have not heard them, Paradigm speakers pair well with NAD judging from many views on this forum. I drive B&W 602S3's and for the outlay I think they are a fine combo with the NAD gear. Not sure about the Whafedales, but whatever, you need to audition these brands for yourself, it's your ears for your enjoyment. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
thanks M.R. another question I had was do you know if nad has fixed their hum/hiss problem I am planning on getting the T773, do you know if this model has that problem?? thanks again for your help.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1077
I couldn't say whether or not the 773 was as problematic as the lower models. I believe the new 4 series has resolved those issues, but so far they are only available in the 754 and 744. That said, if I didn't have my current set up I'd still consider their a/v receivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
thanks again, ill look into those models, what about arcam? the electronics dealer that I will be going to also sell them, Ive heard good things about them, would that also be something to look into?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1078
Arcam would be a better choice again. IMHO most definately.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1873
Shawn,

If you do consider the Arcams please note that the AVR250 and AVR300 are being replaced by the AVR280, so you should get good discounts on those models. Arcams don't have the full feature set that you'll find on other brands, such as auto-setup (the main weakness in my view), but they certainly make up for it in sonic terms - again in my view!

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
oh ok, so arcam would be a better choice, I know I should listen to them both and see for myself, does arcam have any quality issues that I should look into before checking them out?? is arcam at the same level of SQ as nad??? sorry for so many questions I would just like to get some good insites before I make the trip, and thank again M.R. and frank for your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
oh and thanks frank for that tip I would have never known that lol. I will look into those models as well.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1079
Shawn, I haven't heard of quality issues with Arcam and they are known to be very musical with good build quality. Good luck with your auditioning and let us know the outcome.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 378
Frank I'll vouch for that. Arcam amps, when we had one of the Alphas, I think the Alpha 8 but cant remember, I remember the sound was very clean. There wasnt too much bass, but a neutral spacious presentation.
I nearly bought an Arcam shawn but because of money, managed to grab a new cambridge audio 540a at £110 with 3 year warranty! But thats taken a lot of tuning to get right with my wharfedale diamond 8.1s, as it was too bright. On this basis, I would think NAD would work very well if you're after a warm sound.
Obviously, the music is a deciding factor..
Which wharfedales u looking at?

JJ

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
thanks again M.R. JJ I was looking at The Pacific Evolution series, im going this weekend to auditon these with both the nad and the arcam hopefully I like what I hear, Im just deciding on what setup I should listen to first.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 385
The new evo 2s? Wouldnt mind hearing them myself, but they've got some depth in size so I would imagine bass punch is pretty good. Tell us what you think when you go listen.
I'd start off with the arcam, listen to a few songs and then go to the NAD with the same songs to see if anything is 'gained' or 'lost'. See if you like the difference then go back to the Arcam to reassure yourself of a decision.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
thanks JJ I will do that, I should be going tomorrow to listen, so ill tell you what I think and if I made my choice, thanks again for everone help.

Bronze Member
Username: Anubis

Birmingham, West Midlands England

Post Number: 56
I've heard Wharfdale, paired up with NAD... much older gear, obviously... more like 3225 or 3040 etc... Very nice sound. It was at a party, but I noticed something about the sound. I looked up, half expecting to see a NAD on the shelf for some reason - and there it was!

I've heard other people say they go well, but cannot talk specific models here. Your ears are the crown court judge always. Yours - not anyone else's, either.

V

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
I use a pair of mass-loaded, bi-wirable Gale 3040 speakers with my older NAD gear. They're quite sweet with it. I haven't tried that many combinations, but I'd describe it as detailed, crisp, unfatiguiging and well-rounded at the bottom. Although there is a little sibiliance at very high volumes, I can attribute this to the particular old model of amp I'm using, perhaps, and never really expect too much from this combination.

V

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5961
Hiya Varney.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Heya, Nuck! How about looking in my thread, about the NAD repair quotes? I'm getting a bit desperate now. Been watching them bid-up then fly off....

How you been since last we spoke? How's Jan? Thought I'd like to stay in touch, anyway.

V
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us