Good System

Silver Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 111
Well, I have a major headache. I noticed that I am calmed by a good sound with deep bass. I would like to go ahead and pick a system that will be used in our master bedroom (19x25x11) until we get the main system (for that room) in which time it'll go into our living room (larger) and probably be useful at occasional parties as well as (loud) daily around the house listening.

My budget is as follows (all in dollars):
Receiver-1500
Speakers-8000 (w/subwoofer)

I plan it to be a stereo system and I'm after deep bass (so a lot of that towards subwoofer). Thanks a lot for your help! I hope to have it up and running soon (tonight) and I don't need a silly saleman directing me the wrong way + I can't drive...which reminds me I HAVE to go lay down. I'll be back soon.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 318
800. or 8000 for speakers?
If its only 800 swap the funds around, 1500 for speakers/sub, and 800 for reciever, maybe even less on the reciever, a good one can be had for 600 w/lots of goodies, and some power.
If the budget is 8000 for the speakers, take a little off, and add to the reciever, but go seperates.
JMO

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1871
Dave,

Speakers only react to what the receiver puts into them. If the signal isn't very good, all they can do is replicate that.

That said, the way the budget is measured depends on what's available in the buyer's area, so it does depend a bit on that. But in essence, the signal flows from the source to the speakers and if the source isn't good then the speakers will reflect that.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 326
Frank, I fully understand that, I was responding to what would seem like a wise choice based upon his budget, nothing more, nothing less, he, IMO would see greater improvement at this price point by spending a bit more on the speakers, as there is not much difference in quality as far as sources go at that price point, or much additional power, but there certainly is in the speaker market, plus he could get a decent sub, which it sounded like was important? Once again JMO, and personal taste, and philosophy could certainly play a part. Thats just what I'd do, thats all.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 112
Hey guys. I'm sorry, once I layed down I couldn't get up until I got a good amount of sleep.

Let's just say a total budget of 9500 and a good sub is important. Thank you guys. I just got a nosebleed (probably from shifting my body weight) so I'll take care of that. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 81
the only receivers that I would reccomend driving expensive speakers with are brands like Outlaw Audio, B&K, Krell, Adcom, Mac, and the like

they are made, but are few and far between unfortunatly.

The Outlaw is available online, as is the Adcom (at least it was the last time I checked)

this is all provided the budget is not a typo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
also, the outlaw has a subwoofer pre-out

it is a stereo only receiver though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
nm... I misread that... he wants it stereo only

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 328
And you forgot Rotel Line.
And Bryston.
look into those also for pre-s, Rotel is cheaper, but quality none the less.

Speakers are very subjective, and you will recieve many recommendations, so I'll stay out of that, as I am pretty biased towards, and against other brands, and since I wont be the main listener theres no reason to suggest anything for you, except to get out and listen. There are differences in sound in every speaker manufacturer, so a recommendation would be based upon my preferences, or anyone elses for that matter.
I suggest seperates for your source, not a reciever w/power supplied. You can do well w/ about 2big for your pre pro w/rotel, and it is a great bang for buck option.
I then suggest to get out there and demo as many speaker lines as you can so you know what sound you really like.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 329
Bryston would be way over budget, Rotel can have all your features, but I would still recommend the seperates route.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 330
Also, if your budget is actually 9500 total, you could do great w/4g on the speakers, 1g on the sub, and 4500 on the gear, and that would put you into some serious hifi gear, including classe, Bryston. Just a thought.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 305
Given the suggested usage of the system I'd imagine the Outlaw stereo receiver would be more than good enough (not that it is some slouch or anything).

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5544
Did I miss something?
10LARGE for a stereo, and a receiver is mentioned?
Shite, now I have a nosebleed!

Classe cp50 preamp, ca300 amp, apollo cdp, and $5k on whatever speakers you like!

Well 4K, keep 1k for cabling.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 314
Its all about the usage. When someone says "this will be for parties" and "(loud) daily around the house listening" and " I'm after deep bass", I tend to think that Classe might be a waste. Now a pair of Descent subwoofers, that might be nice...

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 331
naw Nuck, the last 1g goes to the sub!
This could be a field day!
Love spending money! Especially when its not mine!

BTW, arent you selling some nice gear? Maybe I'll put a plug in here for ya!
Jake, go look in the message board "for sale" area, and find "stereo" thread I think it is, Nuck's got some decent gear up for grabs (or did you decide against it Nuck?)
Or, get to audiogon, look up Bryston, Classe, Rotel, for your pre's, all three would do the trick, then get out and demo some speakers.
OTOH, if you do just want loud, and lots of bass, I'd recommend Bryston power, any pre-pro of decent quality (anthem, Rotel, I'm not on the outlaw bandwagon as of yet) and some Paradigms, Klipsch, NHT, or even BA for speakers, get a quality Velodyne DD series sub, probably the DD12 for your room size, or 2 DD10's, OR a Paradigm Servo 15.
There I went and recommended speakers did'nt I?
The shame.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
That was why I threw in the outlaw. It is a great receiver, built well, should hold up well, and has a subwoofer pre-out.

When it comes time to move the system in the living room, it should be strong enough to survive as the possible weak link with a pair of excellent speakers until you decide to upgrade.

I normally do NOT reccomend that, but for a bedroom system at the time, the outlaw receiver will be more than enough. You may find that you can live with its flaws.

I am having second thoughts about telling you to do this, but I will tell you that is an excellent receiver. I just would not pair speakers that expensive with it. It may just be out of habbit.

THAT may be a waste of money in the long run.

Anyone have any other advice?

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 113
Guys, I have looked at some stuff, and I kinda like the idea of using a Rotel rb 1092 which has 1000 watts output @ 4 ohms x 2 (manufacturer rating). The reviews I've read say it's underrated and that it should cost way more.

The RC 1090 preamp looks nice as well, not too expensive either

If I got those I would have ~6000 left for sub(s) and speakers. I like that Descent-i subwoofer, and what speakers are out there that could handle the power that have high Sensitivity? I know of an AV shop nearby that carries this stuff and they also carry some good speaks like Paradigm, ML, B&W, and the like. I also have the choice of other places that carry those other brands like JBL etc.

Thanks, and maybe my wife can drive me to the store and I could sit in a wheelchair to listen to some things

Alright I'm going to lie down, thanks again.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 332
Speakers you've mentioned will be user dependent. Meaning, what YOU like as far as the sound goes, BUT the MLs wont do as well loud as you mentioned, like the others. Personal preference dictates purchase there.

There are LOTS of speakers that will play loud, not all of them will give full, accurate sound though (klipsch,as an example, will play loud, but also give a headache in doing so), so you'll need to make a choice of what is really important to you, loud, or loud AND accurate, or, just accurate. This is where cost of speakes changes dramatically. All speakers have some type of compromise, but in your price range there are options gallore, and only you can decide what fits your needs best.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5553
Jake a 500w amp into any speaker will give me a pound from here.
Ditch the massive power, go for great power.
Naim, Rega, others will pop up.
Quality, my man, pace Rythm and timing.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 115
Even though I am against taking medicine I couldn't stand being sick so I popped an Aleve

Hey, what about the Anthem P2? It's the same price as the Rotel and seems much better considering it's a division of Paradigm and I've really liked the sound of Paradigm's. I'd figure since they're made by the same company they'd make a good match.

Well, I'm still looking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
rotel goes well with paradigm. I can't vouch with anthem. I have never heard them together.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 116
Ok, tomorrow I'm going to listen to some Anthem, Paradigm, and Rotels together, particularly the Signature S8's.

I'm also going to take this comp in to our custom computer place and have Bill install a sound card upgrade and swap out the X-Fi Elite Pro for something called the Lynx Two (???) and some other card to boost it's performance.

I'll tell you how it went tomorrow. For now...I'm still pretty sick, so well...let's just say I'm drifting in and out of consciousness...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1875
Jake,

If your laptop is going to be your source, save your money and buy something for under $3k. There's little point in having a good amplifier and speakers if they just play a lousy source. If you're using proper WMA files, lossless, then perhaps it's worth spending more but if you're using lossy compressio (e.g. MP3, AAC) then my point about not spending much remains since those better components will most likely make the signal sound worse thanks to their fidelity.

With nearly $10k available, you have a few options available to you. The bigger Rotels are great for lots of power and for their way of reproducing music. My opinion is that although there's a lot there it's more a case of forgetting the quality and feeling the width.

With your budget, there are quality manufacturers out there who could really open your eyes. To name but a few, Bryston, Classe, Densen, Arcam, Krell, Naim, Rega, Anthem, Rogue Audio, Totem Acoustic, Dynaudio, Wilson benesch, B&W (I guess), Paradigm (I guess) all have models which could figure in your final solution. Forget the fixation on a sub. Your final solution may include one but it may not. At this level cables become important. No point in having exemplary units tied together with a piece of string. Whe you speak with your dealer, tell him you have a hard limit and that he has to include all the cabling. Good cables cost money in most systems.

Given that you're looking at a complete system you should apportion the funds equally across the major components. So we're talking about a $3000 CD player, $3000 amp and $3000 speakers (whether subwoofered or not). The rest goes on cabling. If the system has to be slightly unbalanced due tothe vaguaries of price, then it's usually better to lean toward the source - not the speakers - in order to obtain the best musical result.

Consider these points seriously and you should get a good result.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
good points frank. If the room allows for the proper positioning of speakers that delve deep into the bass, you may not find yourself wanting a subwoofer.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 117
Hey guys. Yes, I do plan to use maximum bit rate lossless and make use of my hard drive space. I can also play CD's and other things as well. Are you guys sure this comp won't do the job?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/computers/315957.html

The reason I'm changing sound cards is so that it integrates correctly with my other equipment both when I get this and the main system this HTPC will go into later. The card has special connectivity right into a good Pre/Pro and it also has XLR outputs, so I hope I'll be fine using the comp until later when I need to get another source. Thanks for suggestions and help..

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 118
Ok guys, I did some blind testing not knowing what I was listening to and then put on some earplugs and tested max volume.

I ended up choosing a Rotel RC-1090 Preamp, an Anthem P2 (was impressed a lot), and Paradigm Signature S8's. They supplied some Bryston Xlr interconnects

Now I'm going to hook it up and try it out. Bye.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 121
Well, I tried it out, but didn't think there was enough bass down in the 20hz region so I went home with a Paradigm Servo 15.

I first played some organ music, sounds great. I then decided to borrow my son's rap CD but I didn't push it too hard because they told me I should let it break in before pushing things too much. I'm workin on it. The walls shook anyway and it wasn't working too hard.

I'm excited for the main system if this can do this!

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1033
Now see there is someone else who likes bass!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5590
Now see there is someone who won't blow stuff up!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 357
LOL Nuck!

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1038
... haha ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us