Problems with Kenwood VR-906

Username: Ontittech

Post Number: 1
I have a Kenwood VR-906 receiver that I had purchased a year and a half ago. I have been fairly happy with it, understanding that it is a low end receiver, and without a lot of bells and whistles.

Last week, I noticed a problem, and the problem has gotten progressively worse.
The Problem is the receiver going into protect mode, every 10-15 minutes. Now it has gotten to the point where as soon as I turn it on, it immediately pops into Protect Mode.

I at first thought it was a wiring issue with my speakers, so I tested one by one, and there is no issue with any of the speakers.

So now even with no Input/Output it automatically goes into protect mode.

I have cracked it open to see if there was any obvious damage to one of the boards (I had noticed that when it was working the receiver was starting to get quite hot) but I cannot see any major catastrophic damage to any of the boards.

So now I am faced with the question of
1.) Do I try to fix it myself
2.) Do I find someone to fix it
3.) Do I simply drive over it a half dozen times and go out and buy a new Denon,HK,Pioneer Elite or Marantz

3. I think is out of the question right now as my wife and I are expecting, and so I don't exactly have $500-$1000 to buy the receiver I want. (Make that $4000-$5000)

2. the only authorized kenwood dealer in town wants $150 to look at the receiver, and that is what I paid for it, thus making more sense to defer to #3

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking on the VR-906's for issues relating to the Power Protect issues that are not related to speakers/wiring

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 367
Blow on all the borde to remove dust and whatever else may be on there (Pet hair). then turn it on if it still heats up move it out into the open like put it on the floor and plug it in.And if it still heats up it may just be a part has craped out and seding the wrong signal, but to me it seems the unoit is dieing. You could try googleing the modle number(vr-906) and seeing what pops up. you could allso try AVSforum

Good luck

Post Number: 2
I have already cleaned it out, and checked for any obvious burned parts circuits, but the problem is this receiver has 6 individual daughter boards crammed into a 8" X 15" case along with the Main board. The heating up was noted when the receiver still turned on for a few minutes, but now, it only powers on for 2-3 seconds.

do you see it as even being worth the time/effort/money to have it repaired?

I do want to upgrade anyways as the VR-906 only has 4 individual Video Inputs, and no Phono, but as I had stated before, with baby on the way I doubt my wife would go for me buying a new 500-800 receiver.

The other thing that bugs me about the VR-906 is the fact that is has Pb/Pr/P composite output and no S-Vid, thus making it impossible for me to hook up anything other than standard RCA for video to my TV.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9671

Do you know how to troubleshoot the receiver with more than blowing on the circuit boards? Do you have a schematic and the test equipment required to track down a defective part or circuit? Do you have the necessary tools to desolder and replace a 128 pin chip? If the answer to any of those questions is no, then you have no ability to fix this yourself. And we can't do it for you over a forum.

If you have none of the tools required to repair the receiver, your only option for repair is a technician. You say the tech wants $150 to look at the unit? Why? Is that the guesstimate he gave you for repairs or did someone put the receiver on a bench to get that price? Most techs will give you an estimate for repair costs for under $60 and apply that cost to the repair if you think it's worth fixing. If you don't want to risk $60, then the receiver is worthless to you. Move on. If the tech refuses to operate this way, you should assume this is a receiver the tech really doesn't want to work on. And that should tell you the receiver probably isn't worth fixing. Or find a tech who will give you the estimate. The receiver is apparently out of warranty so you don't have to have a Kenwood tech work on the unit. If none of this is an option, I would then take my $150 and buy a new receiver for that amount of money. You'll have a warranty and that should get you through the first year. If it craps out after that, you begin again.

Your wife and you are expecting a baby. Which is more imprtant, a receiver or your baby? Yeah, you don't have the money for the receiver you want, so you buy the receiver you can afford. That's what life is all about. You make a decision and you live by it. I don't see any other answer, we can't fix it and we can't tell you how to spend money you don't have.

Capice?!

Bronze Member
Username: Harjun

Post Number: 54
hi everyone i have ariza 700 but some channel didnot work few days ago i have bin 2.81 please tell me anybody have same problem and when will all channels will works.thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5551
Jesse, it's done.
Get one at a yard sale that works for 40bucks.
Save the rest for diapers and such.

Take care of the little one first.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12571
sharnjit

Which part of this thread made you think that this has anything to do with ariza or some bin? Pay attention to details and learn to solve your problems without rudely butting in and hijacking this thread
}

Post Number: 3
Jan,
I am an Electrical Engineer, so yes I can do everything. I just wanted to know if there was a common point of failure on the VR-906 so I would not have to spend hours tracing the board as I cannot find a schematic/Circuit Diagram for the boards.

I have agreed with my wife to use my travel pay and Tax refund for a new receiver as she is getting upset with having to switch wires every time she wants to play a DVD or the PS2. (so hopefully combined it will be about $800-$1000)
so pregnancy can be a good thing for my audio.

Sharnjit, your problem is you cannot read. This Forum is for AUDIO Receivers, not DSS, and if you having a problem, start your own post, don't jack someone else's post.

So I am looking at Either the Denon AVR-2307/2807, the H/K 245/340, Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS/VSX-81TXV

What I am looking for is something with 5+ Video Inputs, and hopefully a phono as well for my turntable. I don't care about HDMI or upscaling to 1080i or 1080p as my TV is a 29" Samsung that will only do 480i, and I don't thing the TV is going to be upgraded any time in the next 4-5 years unless I hit the lottery and get my home Theater. My main Front Speakers are 3-way Cambridge Audio Ref Speakers at 8ohms, and the satellites are Sony at 6ohms.

I am leaning towards the Denon AVR-2807, but do you have any suggestions for something that would fit the bill?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9676

When the problem exists on both channels and all inputs, the common fault in almost all HT receivers is likely to be found in either the power supply or the master control chip. If you don't find a problem in either location, then you begin to trace circuits. However, without a schematic, you are better off spending your new found cash some other way.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 375
The H/K avr 245 is sweet receiver and is a work horse when neeb be. There is no video lost at all. and could most likely power you sony's without a problem.

Post Number: 4
I just purchased a H/K AVR 235 for $250, I was amazed to find such a great deal on an H/K Receiver. Receiver is BNIB, with warantee. It will fit the bill for now, unfortunately the 5th Video input is on the front, but I will deal with that. (normally I am very, very particular about my wiring and cleanliness.)

I know I will be happy with this receiver for now, until I come up with a couple grand for a nice Denon, NAD or something else.

Thank you all for your assistance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us