Paradigm Atom or AV123 x-ls ??

Bronze Member
Username: Expatcanuck

Post Number: 14
Greetings -
Looking for a 5.1 system for $700 or so.
Any thoughts/opinions re: the Paradigm Atom, AV123 x-ls or something else as front L/R and surround L/R units?

I've listend to the (old) Atoms & found them acceptable, tho' not brilliant. I found a more expensive, comparably-sized B&W speaker to be too bright.

Our room is reflective.

All thoughts & suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

- Richard

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 836
The AV123 Onix X-LS seems to be on everyones short list, I've not listened to it yet but would very much like to.

I have heard the Paradigm Atom and was not overly impressed with it. There are several speakers in the Atoms price range that I would choose before it, with the X-LS being one of the prime candidates.

As far as "brightness" goes, you'll have to audition the speaker in the room you'll be using it in to be certain that it's to your liking.

What percentage of Music/HT?

What amp are you using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Amp is undecided now, but likely a Marantz 4600 or an HK 145 or 245.

Music:HT
40:60

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 839
Both are good choices, I'd opt for the Marantz just out of my experience with it, I have the SR5400.

If your room is really that unforgiving, you might want to consider some sort of acoustic treatment.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 78
I agree with chris. Any speaker is going to sound lousy in a bad room, unless they are specifically designed with the acoustics of that particular room in mind.

Speakers that do this are usually backed with loads of circuitry behind them. This is not inexpensive, and many feel that it does more harm than good.

I agree that treatment is more often than not the best route.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1486
The XL-S is better than the Atom,by landslides,you wont be dissapointed.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 49
my brother has the atoms and i've got the xls (atoms purchased on my recommendation prior to the xls coming out). the xls is a secondary system in my office run off the second zone of a marantz 7500 and i think they sound fantastic. i like them so much that i'm watching what else comes out from the x-line and will likely give some other av123 speakers a listen in the future for my upgrades in my library.
i'd say go w/ the xls. unlikely to be disappointed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
As it turns out, I opted for the (v. 4) Paradigm Atoms.

One of the key criteria (which I neglected to mention) was wall mountability (if that's a word). Both the new Atom Monitor and the x-ls are too deep to mount unobtrusively.

So I picked up 2 pair of Atoms and a CC-170 (which I could conveniently audition at a B&M shop a mile or two from home).

Perhaps not the best overall speaker, but for the price and the purpose, plenty good enough.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 341
Plenty good.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 50
absolutely. the atoms seem to be a smaller speaker and certainly do sound great considering their size and price. glad you're happy w/ them and able to mount them on a wall (i know it's been done w/ the xls, but it's a decently heavy speaker).

enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3853
The Atom is a very good speaker for the money and your application...congrats.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us