HK 635 Loses Settings

Bronze Member
Username: Sackohammers

Post Number: 64
Hello all,
Almost a year ago you guys helped me select a receiver. I went with HK 635. Its been great minus one thing.
Once in a while if we have a power outtage, all of my settings are reset back to factory. This is a huge pain in the rear. All of my input/output settings are gone, all of my speaker settings are gone, all of the delay settings are gone.
I have a power conditioner set up and if that loses power then this happens. Is this normal? Is this to be expected? I was thinking that the unit should remember the settings a little better.
Do you guys have any input on the matter?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5464
Sackohammers, weren't you traded to the Leafs for a defenseman?
Anyhow, open it up and check for a battery backup.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1083
I have not heard of this problem, but then, I have not been suffering from electrical blackouts. Does this happen often?

I would not open up the receiver as this can often times void your warranty. I would instead consult with your local dealer and H/K technical support for a solution. I don't believe this should be happening.

Good luck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5477
Maybe a backUPS?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
I don't really want to bother with putting in a UPS for my HT system. Besides, if I move or unplug the thing I want it to retain its settings.

This doesn't happen a lot, but its happend two or three times... basically... when we have a major power outtage. We had a bad ice storm last weekend and we lost power.

So, you guys are saying I should contact H/K?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Ok, sent question to H/K.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5512
Hammers, this type o' thing usually calls for an input cap or a UPS.

Good luck.
And root for the Leafs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Seriously? I mean, you would expect that if you take a unit like this and configure all the inputs and outputs, the delay settings, crossover settings, etc... and then you unplug it to move it across the room or someone blows a breaker or something... that you would lose all of those settings?
I mean, thats what I need to know. If that is expected behaviour by design then there is no problem... just my expectations being wrong. But if there is something wrong with the unit then I need to see what I can do to get it fixed.

Yeah, I like the Leafs... root for the Leafs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5517
Hammers, I don't know your unit personally, but the memory is either bb(battery backup) or EEPROM.
Or maybe neither?
Your unit might me default from ROC (ram on chip).
Either back it up, or memorize the settings for a quicker reload.

Sorry if I can't help.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 505
The 635 should not lose it's settings once properly set. These type of settings are stored in a "non-volatile" memory ic in the unit. This means that they should remain if the unit is completely powered off and the power cord removed from the wall outlet. I had an HK receiver in storage for six months one time and when I set it up again it still had the same settings as when I packed it away to store. The settings should also remain if the power is abruptly removed as in the case of a power outage or even if the power cord is pulled from the outlet when the unit is on. Look over your owners manual again and try to reset the unit, this will erase all settings but you can try this and reset them. If this doesn't work the the unit probably has a problem and will need repair-look on the bright side at least it's not the power supply. If you don't have the manual they are available at www.harmankardon.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Eric,
Thank you for the detailed information.
I know I've reset it at least once. I also upgraded the firmware on it.
It has happened both before and after the firmware upgrade.
I will get ahold of H/K and see what it would take to get it repaired.

Thanks kindly
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us