B&O 4400 receiver died--suggestions for upgrade

Username: Rjsimmons1952

Post Number: 1
The capacitors in my 4400 receiver have crapped out, and some of the linkages in the tuners have gone wonky. The authorized B&O service center in Chicagoland convinced me that it is time to say goodbye to my 4400 receiver, which I've had since new (1977). I have a pair of B&O S75 speakers (4 ohm; the speaker mounts are still fine) and a Luxman PD277 turntable with a Signet AM50s cartridge.

I also have a Sony DVP-CX860 CD/DVD player which is currently hooked up only to the TV, but could be hooked up to the audio system, I presume. I do not have a surround-sound system, but am not certain that I want to try to combine listening to vinyl with a surround sound system.

What is the wisdom of the group? Shall I get a dedicated audio receiver and a separate unit for surround sound? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
-Rod

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 262
Get seperates systems, vinyl on surround receiver makes me cringe. Make sure the stereo amp/inter/receiver you buy has a phono stage, very few do today.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5444
This one does.

www.Outlawaudio.com/990

Gold Member

Post Number: 5445
Rodney, just stick with a good stereo setup.
Personal opinion, here.
Try the Outlaw rr2150 stereo, with phono.

Ditch the Sony and go for a good cdp.
Oppo has a good one to look at.

Keep the sony for movies. Outlaw is a good brand for 2ch movies. Great bass management.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1084
Rodney:

You have gotten your money's worth with your B&O. I remember that unit very well as I almost bought one myself.

Five years ago, I started with the idea that I would have one system and it would be based upon a HT receiver. However, I found I was the only person in my house that wanted to spend serious time listening to music. So, my family has taken over the Home Theater system, and I now have a stereo system in my study, where I can close the door and listen to my jazz and classical records (my youngest daughter, age 14, thinks records are "really weird."). This may be instructive, depending upon what your family situation is.

I would agree with Dan and Nuck that unless you specifically want a Home Theater receiver, you should stick with stereo. A HT would neccesitate not only getting a new receiver, but five new speakers plus an active subwoofer (at the very least, three new front speakers as these need to be voice-matched, so that the soundfield sounds unified). The costs can escalate quickly.

There are very few good stereo receivers out there right now. The suggested Outlaw is a very good one, as is the Rotel RSX-1052, and the NAD C720bee. You might also look at the NAD L53 receiver, which has a wonderful CD/DVD player built into it. It also has a circuit that does a pretty good job of simulating surround sound with only a pair of speakers when using the receiver for HT listening. Here is a review of this receiver that better explains it:

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=165

The advantages of this system is that you can get some surround elements if you want them without buying a bunch of new speakers. If you don't engage its SRS system, it operates like any other stereo receiver. It's built in CD/DVD player will be a nice upgrade from your Sony, as well.

Another option is an integrated amp. Most stereo afficianados have gone to using an integrated amp for their listening. Now, there are a lot of good choices here, but under $1K, I would suggest you look into integrateds from Cambridge Audio (the 640A), NAD (especially the C325bee, but all are good), and the Rotel RA-1062.

Some of these will have a phono pre-amp built in, but I would not be afraid of one that doesn't--there are some very nice seperate phono pre-amps that are much better than what is built in to almost all receivers, but they won't cost you an arm and a leg, either ($120 and less). Look for separate phono pre-amps from Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Bellari. Here is a source:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps

Now, you just need to decide whether you want to stick with stereo or go all out for a HT.

Good luck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5475
Hawk, I agre that you are 'really weird', in a good stereo kid of way.
I'll toos in the H/K3340/3380, just cause they seem to have blowout prices right now.

Your kid has leared well, Hawk.

The Nad320BEE for $299 at saturday is huge.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5476
Rod, I hope you enjoyed your B&O.
I never really warmed up to the sound, but damn! they make some pretty stuff!

Username: Rjsimmons1952

Post Number: 2
Nuck, Dan and Hawk,

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. They are in line with what the proprietor of the local hi-end AV shop in Champaign, IL mentioned to me a couple of years ago...keep the B&O as long as it lasts to listen to the vinyl collection over your existing speakers and get a dedicated HT system to handle the video demands of the rest of the family. The oldest daughter is starting to lobby for a HT system; that's what happens when you let them out of the house to visit their friends! As she also enjoys listening to the vinyl collection, I think that she'll be happy to see a stereo replacement for the B&O 4400 receiver.

I did enjoy the B&O system while it lasted. Most of my vinyl collection is jazz and classical. I have a few direct to disk recordings which are sonically impressive. If you paid attention to speaker placement, the sound stage & imaging were impressive.

As the B&O S75 speakers are rated at 4ohms, does this figure into the selection process for the stereo receiver? I know that I'll have to use different connectors, as the B&O stuff uses funky DIN connector plugs.

Hawk--
Regarding family situation, I have kids aged 3, 6, and 9 yrs. I'm sure that, at any given time, at least one out of three will think that I'm weird!

Again thanks to all of you for your comments and help. If any other thoughts come to mind, please share.

-Rod

Gold Member

Post Number: 5485
Rod, the Nad lineup is rated outright for 4 ohm speakers, the H/K is not rated outright, but I ran a H/K avr55 for years into speakers dynamic enough to go to 3.1 ohms.
That's really a try-and-see setup, but I have beaten H/K near to death.

I love Rotel(Hawk does too), but I cannot rec a specific model.
Rotel doesn't make crap, IMHO.

The callout on the plugs will not be an issue, Frank Abela might stop by for that one, not a problem at all.

Keep those kids on a steady diet of jazz and classics(and a little bit of rockabilly?) and the next generation will keep us going!

Maybe the million dollar quartet?

Nuck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us