Recommended speaker wires

Bronze Member
Username: Sara86

Post Number: 12
I have a Sony Home Theatre 5.1, 900W

We don't want to overspend on speaker wires. FOr the rear speakers we have 30 ft each.
Shall I go iwth 14, 16 or 18 wires? (not sure what they are, but the salesman told me about them)

Is any brand OK, like Philips 16 awg for $10?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5441
Yes, Sara, those speaker runs are perfectly fine, in 16 awg.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 81
gauge is the diameter of the copper wire, the smaller the number, the bigger the wire, and don't ask, I did not invent the system... 8-}.

Anyway, good 14 gauge "zip-cord" or even 16 gauge, will work fine. Some zip cord (very similar to 2 wire lamp cord) has nickel plating on one conductor, natural copper for the other, but all zip cord has one of the wires marked with a raised rib on the outer covering or a printed line. This helps you hook them up red to red, black to black from the receiver to the speaker. Although they will work if you cross the wires, you could get the speakers out of phase and the sound will not be as good.

Zip cord is available at all Lowes and Home Depots, and most hardware stores and is much less expensive than the audio store "speaker cable"

Gold Member

Post Number: 5500
And after you follow Martin's advice, we can show you how to be certain that you are in phase, using a 9v battery.

Play some Elvis, Sara!

Bronze Member
Username: Sara86

Post Number: 13
Thanks guys :-)

~~ Monster wires are very expensive, about $60-70, while other brands with the same length like Philips and Omega are about $10-15. I didn't see the gauge written on Monster and the salesman didn't know what is!
Shall I go for the Philips regardless of the price difference?

~~ Do we need to use banana connectors?

~~ What is the 9v battery trick? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5520
Sara, the Phillips are fine. You do not need banana connectors.
The battery thing is just to make sure you have the wires the right way, I am sure you will do that.
You will be fine, as soon as you put some Elvis on, for Nuck and Martin!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us