Home Audio Virgin .. . ..please PoP !

Bronze Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 87
Honestly, are these any good > Polk Audio R50 Cherry Finish 2-way floorstanding Speaker

And is 140 shipped a good price for a brand new pair ? ? ? And are they worth, or can I get something better for under 150 ?

And does anyone have the low down on Klipsch Synergy III F3's. I heard some and thoughy they sounded wonderful.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5459
Honestly, Nicholas, you have to tell me.
What sound wonderful to you is just that.
Wonderful to you.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9646

"And is 140 shipped a good price for a brand new pair ? ? ? And are they worth, or can I get something better for under 150 ?"

You can get 151 ninety nine cent hamburgers. Give them to people who haven't had a meal today. That's better.

If you like the Klipsch, why ask about the Polks? Buy what you like and don't worry about our opinion of your speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 86
i don't understand it, but i love it. lord have mercy on the Audio Gods.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5466
Diety have Mercy instead on the fools and Babes, but for them, we would not have the best quotes.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 87
yes, yes and yes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5473
JAW, you have to talk to my wife, and teach her to say those 3 lovely words.

Insert sharp reply here.

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 91
I mentioned the Klipsch simply beacause I've heard them, the polks I have not heard. There are just much cheaper. And just was wondering if, in your opinions, would the Klipsch be that dramatic of a sound difference for the extra money over the cheaper Polks. Am I just in a category where if I want very noticable sound difference, Ill have to shovel out alot more money. Cause generally, you got suck, good, and great, just wondering if the polks and Klipsch were in the same league, just upper and lower.

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 67
you gotta have faith and be nice to the audio gods otherwise there will be no blessings for you!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 11
Nick,
These guys use $150 speakers as door stops.
A $150 speaker is exactly that...a $150 speaker.
If you wanna learn about this stuff, wander around the forums here. Read. Read lots. If you're serious about your audio I think you'll find that $150 won't get you anything in a system that the good folks on these forums are talkin' about. If you're not that serious or don't want to spend the time, buy the $150 speakers that sound good to you, enjoy them and don't worry about what anybody on this forum says.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3834
See MR..."snob" is a relative term.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5536
But so is 'cousin'.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 38
And does anyone have the low down on Klipsch Synergy III F3's. I heard some and thoughy they sounded wonderful.

A low down could be that they might be too upfront at your place.
What makes a great impression in an audio store is no guarantee for long term pleasure.

These guys use $150 speakers as door stops.
A $150 speaker is exactly that...a $150 speaker.

What a load of cr@p.
This is an open audio forum, not reserved for audiophiles with a big budget only.
I am sure there're $150 speakers out there for Nicholas to enjoy.

For what it's worth: I lived over 10 years with a pair of $150 B&W speakers and loved them, only recently bought a new pair.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Nicholas,

Expand your budget by $50 and you can get the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's
Heard great things about them, you will find many recommendations in lots of threads here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I am sure there're $150 speakers out there for Nicholas to enjoy.

Nicholas, Expand your budget by $50 and you can get the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's

Ehm...

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1075
"This is an open audio forum, not reserved for audiophiles with a big budget only."

I agree Nout - but it seems audiophiles don't have a small budget:

http://www.answers.com/topic/audiophile

It seems you need to spend at least 10 grand on entry level gear to awarded that invisible ego badge.

Of course it's not a word that's found in an English dictionary, it was made up by those who have $150 speakers as door stops.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5539
PHILE-um.

Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 320
well, that 150 may pay for gas to the audio dealer, depending on how far you want to drive........................................................................... ................................................................................ ......................................then what?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 321
It's all relative!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 322
yes, I do mean family!

audio of course

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 68
Nick, seriously, the best way to know is to go listen for yourself, if it suits your listening preference and well within your budget then it's always a good buy afterall...

Silver Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 146
WOW, (LoL), I kinda love the advice, though at 1st, the only thing I learned is "spend more money" ! So, I can understand the 150$ doorstops, but seriously, are 1k$ speakers not even worth the extra money vs 150?. Now surely, there are many things that can be nice on a budget. 15 G's on a set of tower speakers . . .. what is it that you gentlemen do for a living? I may change my carreer. Oh I get it, I wont take it personal.

Maybe I was a lil vague in my questions? But trust me, if I had the money, Id get something like Dynaudio, but I think about 1,000 bucks would be my limit for Tower speakers.

What I was shooting for, is music listening speakers only. I do watch movies, but to me, movies always sound too muffly for me to appreciate any good sound it puts out. I want clear sound. I want to be able to diffrentiate bwtween the small subliminal noises/tones imbedded in music. I want the Living room to be full with sound, but clear, stong, seperated,distinct, and smooth. Something with clear mid range that does not get muddy under higher volumes. Granted I can only achieve so much of this given my price range, but I can deal with a little, enough, the best availible. Im not goin to competition, I just want to enjoy what Im hearing. Most people say, depends what you prefer. I agree, but isnt best for the money easy to gauge. For instance, out of the top 50 speakers, we all agree all 50 of them sound amazing, but not all agree which one sounds the best. Im looking for "good sound quality" tower speaker that are leading for thier price range (1K$ or <).

All opinions welcome . .. .. . even the Jackass ones
Given these characteristics I search for, are there any tower speakers out there for 1k or less that are capable Of giving me that. If not, then what is prolly the closest thing that what I want thats 1k or < ?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 325
used gear.
NHT, Paradigm,Gallo,Dynaudio,M @ K, Boston Acoustics,
hows that for a starting point?
There are so many more out there, and each has its qualities and downsides, but for your budget these are ones I would get out and listen to.
But just about all except the BA, and Paradigm will need much more power to give you what you are asking, which by the way, is what we all look for, and spend accordingly.
Yes, 1000 speakers will outperform 150 dollar speakers, and if you get out there to audition, you will find for yourself that it is by a wide margin as well, unless you find a deal of a lifetime on something used. JMO

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 12
Now there's something Nick can use....rather than some smart a** telling him to buy 151 hamburgers and be nice to the audio gods.

Silver Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 150
Great, I'll brows and read, and try to go listen. I'll be back so dont get too happy . .. . . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us