What's taking so long for others to jump on the T-AMP bandwagon?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 825
Maybe I'm wrong, but when an item get the buzz that the T-AMP received a while back, it usually results in other companies jumping on the bandwagon. Why do you suppose this hasn't seemed to happen yet?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5327
CM, look at TNTaudio and see if nobody is doing anything.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 826
A lot of DIY & re-boxing from what I can tell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5332
RedWine does a lot of stuff.
Look into some of the monthly chats as well.

I like the little $30 one I have, but the $180 tube amp has it in the corner for now.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9633

The Tripath chips are gradually being incorporated into other designs, mostly as low level gain stages coupled to a more conventional final amplification stage.

The T-amp is still a bit of a flash in the pan and you're right about the reboxing. The kits are moving forward through the DIY crowd but predominantly with fairly small changes to the circuits surrounding the chip. Not helping the situation, there doesn't seem to be the same buzz about the higher powered Tripath chips as there is about the six watt versions.

I just engaged in a thread on the Stereophile forum where class D & T were summarily dismissed as not being as good as class A, which the poster declared a "pure" method of operation. Even when I suggested anyone curious about the buzz around the new "digital" amps should simply listen first and read specs later, there was significant push back. Many on that forum wrongly assume all "digital" amplifier run off switching type power supplies.

There will be quite a bit of resistance to the class T technology as it shows the ability to get closer and closer to some very well respected high end amplifier's capabilities at vastly reduced cost. Right now I would guess the challenge is for Tripath to show they can build more than a six watt amp when that amplifier isn't going to truly beat the big guys' stuff.

http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=17186&page=0&fpart= 1&vc=1

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 827
Thanks Jan. Do you still listen to your T-Amp? You've had it for some time, what are your long term listening impressions?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 370
I'd still like to try out one of those t-amps.
$30 for one nuck? Ebay deal or something?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 828
No J, that's the price. $29 actually @ www.partsexpress.com .

Gold Member

Post Number: 5351
For a box stock little plastic thingy with spring clips and fragile RCA ports.

Sounds good, even with my Ling's in a near field listening env.

The little tube amp is better.
But that's just old me.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1852
In answer to the original question, there was an industry rumour in the middle of last year (which was documented in the press) that Tripath were in financial difficulty. That kind of thing is very bad news for manufacturers intending to use the technology since Tripath's demise could effectively mean their own.

Tripath also had some litigation to get through in the middle of 2006, which can't have helped. Their shareprice value is down at 2c currentl. Not sure what caused that, but there was a problem with a trader selling their shares short last year. Any SEC filing always kills the share price. This would only make potential customers more nervous about investing in their technolies. That said, considering their customer list, which includes Naim, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony and Toshiba, it's difficult to see how they could be allowed to fold.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 902
That must be quite a difficulty.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5377
Frank, what is the Tripath callout on the footsie?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1853
Also, although the efficiency benefits of class D and class T are obvious, it's not quite so easy to produce amplifiers of true fidelity from these technologies. This is why the vast majority of attempts have either been very expensive (thinking Veritas, BelCanto) or in the mass volume market.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1854
In fact, it reads like dire news at the moment for Tripath...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=121527&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular& id=948158&

Sad to see...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5378
I grabbed 1k on spec, anyhow, Frank.
Pence stock.
Somebody will buy them, and, as usual, I will ride the coattails.

Thank-you.

You really are quite a fellow, Frank.

Good to see you back after the holiday, I hope it went well. I thought of you when I saw the weather reports fom Heathrow.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5379
Sorry for the sidebar, CM.

Maybe a good penny stock buy, looking for a buyout/takeover.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 267
I'm using a T-amp at the moment as my usual amp is away for a while, it being a Red Wine Audio Clari-t, with upgraded Auricaps and Blackgates and configured as dual-mono. It is better than the T-amp but the T-amp is good enough that I'm in no huge hurry to get the Clari-t back.

The new RWA creation, the Signature 30, has just won product of the year at 6Moons, and got a very good review at Sonic Flare. So there is still a bit of a buzz if youre looking in the right places.

RWA also just released Signate 70 monoblocks, where they seem to have coaxed 70 watts out of the tripath chip. I would imagine amps like these will start making onto dealers shelves one day, if Tripath is still making chips that is.

b.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5460
Good to see you again, bvan.

My stock may just have gone up!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1861
Nuck

You have no idea! I realised my passport was missing onn the Thursday before flying out (Saturday). Turned the house inside out, searched for it at my old employer's office, shot into Lonodon to my embassy to make an emergency passport, had to get police report saying the passport was lost, photos with someone's signature affirming they were a true likeness...phew!

Flew out on the Saturday. Got new full passport made up by Wednesday! Well impressed.

Otherwise it was 5 days of celebrating. :-) We came back needing a break.

I've seriously considered buying some of those shares...tempting.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
Sorry for my 'ignorance'. Would one of you mind explaining the hype of the tripath chip?
From what I've gathered it was used in the t-amp, will revolutionise a lot of electronics if the idea catches on and rwa have made a cool amplifer. But the tripath doesnt look too promising?

Just wondering because, if the t-amp used the tripath chip it would make sense for all the hype. I would have already bought a t-amp already, only you need a power supply aswell and they're tough to find..I looked for a while and got a bit bored.
£30 for a t-amp, have a mess about and sell it on! (or keep it if i like it lots).
Any known places for t-amp power supplies with a uk compliance?

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
Or even better anybody willing to sell me a t-amp for cheap!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5543
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/193312.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Come across that post before once.
I've read up on the tripath chip a bit, what I dont understand is why other companies cant modify the design slightly to get past the patent? Or just pay for the rights, in the long term surely companies can make a big profit.
Imagine if a popular amp was from company X instead of say, NAD, the same price or far cheaper and sounded better because of the design being based around the tripath chip! There must be a downside? or sonic impact would have expanded by now..
Richer Sounds- Company X, 'Product X tripath 100', £199.

Sounds like a great business prospect if you got your hands on a whole load of chips.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5545
Or a whole bunch of stock

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
stock, being the t-amps? They're not that widely known though, someone on ebay from Germany who's selling them from bulk stock.

Username: Thomasj3577

Post Number: 1
There is a shootout of whole load of digital amps including some class D and T. There's even an Onkyo and a Panasonic receiver. Some prcier stuff from Cary and Nuforce. Pretty cool.
Alsmot forgot, it's on Stereomojo.com

Username: Hyperdog

Gorham, ME USA

Post Number: 3
Nobody seems to acknowledge the high power applications of Class-T here. Carver-Pro has built a beastly, two channel TriPath based amplifier for three years and Ashly Audio built their PowerFlex line for five years. Four modules @ 400W or six modules @ 250W. Some stability problems on early units when hard clipped into inductive loads but otherwise wonderful amplifiers. Big, bad toroidal PS too!

Hyperdog
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us