Amp for Klipsch Ultra 2 speakers

Username: Mark34

Austin, TX United States

Post Number: 1
I am making major budget decision. I have decided to spend more on room treatment in my under construction home theater. I need to save money somewhere (or negotiate more with wife)

I had planned on MC207 / MX119 McIntosh combo to drive my Klipsch Ultra 2 THX system.

Considering choices that would be almost as good but less expensive. Want the warmth of the Mc.

How do you think the NAD M15/M25 would do? They sure seem very nice. "only" 160 watts per channel. The combo would be about half as much as the McIntosh combo at about $6K.

Any other suggestions for slightly bright speakers that love good clean warm power? $6K to $10K for prepro / amp combo.

Buying new JVC RS-1 projector that has Gennum chip, and will eventually think about a DVDO 50, so video processing not necessity, but maybe a bonus.

Are the Anthems warm? Arcam? Sunfire?

Could I use an Outlaw 990 with the McIntosh amp?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5313
Mark, to shave a few bucks, check on pre-loved equipment.
If you want to get kind of close to a 'tube' type sound, you could seek out a Classe combination, CP50 or 60 preamp, a variety of amps to be had, a ca200, 201 or 300, 301.

Silver Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 118
Mark
I am not sure how the Mc sounded with the Ultra 2 speakers. However I did listen to these speakers being driven off of a Rotel unit (1095 amp and a RSP 1098 preamp) I'm not sure what they were using for the remaining channels as the rotel is only 5channel but I definately know it was those 2 units. It sounded really good, didn't sound too harsh to my ears. I just picked up the 1075 for my reference series and I think it sounds good. The dealer i go to has Classe equipment, but they always match Klipsch with the Rotel.

You may want to try the Klipsch website forum you may get some more help there.

Good luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 5340
Mark, another member here has just completed the deal for an Outlaw 990 pre/pre with an Anthem a5 amp.
Lemme find the link, he's just coming up and running.

I have run a few Rotel power amps and currently run a just better than shabby Classe kit.

Seek out a Classe pre-amp.
A CP-50 (mine) of 60(unnecissary, in my HO).
And a ca200 amp.
I cannot see, in any circumstance(other than my own) the need for any more amp.
Heart-stoppingly, spleen seperating power.
And I love the Mac's.

Classe could be better in some cases.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/297075.html

there we are.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5341
Or a nice tube kit.

The Klipch could be run by a potato, so I hear.

Or nice tubes. I got a nice tube amp for cheeeeeeeap, from Hong Kong.

If you are game.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us