Speaker help for Marantz SR8500 please

Username: Jonahpet

New york, Ny Usa

Post Number: 6
Maybe I should have taken it for a sign when my request for help on the Mirage VS FS v. the Def Tech Mythos got as much attention as a fat girl at a Hawaiian Tropic event. But, since I got no response I had to do some work on my own. I auditioned them both and liked them with the slight nod going to the Mythos fours. I then went somewhere else so I could hear the Mythos One's and just to see what I was I put them up against the Monitor Audio RS6. Wow, what was I thinking. I took a speaker making elective in high school. We put our drivers into rectangular wood boxes for a reason. I don't remember what that reason was, but there was one. So I've now done a total about face. I'm probably going to get the RS6s, but I would look at other speakers. The Totem Arros and the B&W 603S3s come to mind. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. My use will be 60/40 HT/Stereo, but I care about audio quality more for music than for movies.

As for my system. I have a Marantz SR8500 receiver, Mirage omnisat surrounds and a Mirage S10 sub. I plan to buy a center channel to match whichever front speakers I buy. I am concerned that the full size center channels won't fit in my A/V stand, but I guess I will have to make it work. I am tempted to buy the Monitor Audio Radius 180 for a center channel, but I suspect that would be a bad idea. I probably should get rid of my 400 cd changer anyway.

Lastly has anyone heard the Monitor Audio GS10? If the price is comperable would I be happier with those vs. the RS6 in my 15' x 22' room?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1036
jonah:

Well, you are stepping up in the world!

I think the Mythos are a fine speaker system--for HT. For music, they leave me cold. There is not question that the Mirage are the same way. I think what you are discovering are the laws of physics--speaker manufacturers who make systems with an array of smaller drivers can generate a pretty decent sound, but in larger spaces, they simply cannot generate a realistic sound at the low end--they just don't have enough mass to reproduce a decent 50Hz or 60Hz note. Both the Mirage and the Def Techs are made to the WAF (wife acceptance factor) which mandates size and good looks over the sound (I have fought this fight for 25 years!). Very recently, I went to audition the new Paradigm Reference Millenia speakers. In an excellent listening room, with superb electronics driving them, I heard some very nice speakers, but not speakers I would ever buy. Why, because my ears told me that the low end was missing. In discussing what I heard from the salesperson, it was revealed that they roll off at 80 Hz--Paradigm determined that a subwoofer would take over these frequencies in a HT. Well, if I want to listen to stereo music (a passion of mine), the subwoofer will never come into play--it is inactive on stereo sound. If I want the sub to work, the signal has to be processed, something I do not want to have happen. So, like the Paradigms, the Mythos and the Omni FSs will probably leave you disappointed once you hear real speakers capable of reproducing the audio range. Now, if you are using such speakers for HT only, they can make for a very nice system, but they do not make the grade, for me, for music.

I think the Monitor Audio RS6s are a big step up and a fine match for your Marantz. Now, as far as the GS10s go, I think they are superb, but they do not have the excellent bass extension of the RS6s. They are bit smoother and more delicate on the top end and have a wonderful midrange, but I do not think they are as good of a speaker for both HT and music that the RS6s are. If I were building a stereo system for music only, I might lean towards the GS10s, but given your size room (I assume a 9'ceiling), I think the RS6s are the better choice.
Just my opinion, FWIW. Also,
I would not get the Radius for your center--it doesn't voice the same as the Silver line, so it makes for a less than ideal match. What size space do you have for your center speaker?

I cannot say enough good things about the Totem Arros and the B+W 603S3s. Both are worthy speakers, but I would not say they are better than the Monitor Audios. You will merely need to listen to them and decide what sounds the best to you. With the Marantz receiver, I would lean more to the Monitors or the Totems--I think their sound more closely aligns with the Marantz than does the B+Ws.

As for finding space for your center speaker, have you considered a center channel speaker stand? Just place it below and in front of your lovely Samsung:

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=279

Just a thought.

Username: Jonahpet

New york, Ny Usa

Post Number: 7
Hi Hawk,

My ideal center would have dimensions all at or under W24" x H6.5" x D7". But if I had to I could go 8" high and 10" deep. I would just have to stack my DVD player on my DVR cable box. I'm assuming that I can place my center channel under my TV, but right of center. I don't think I want a center channel stand, but I know I could go that route. While we are talking about my lovely Samsung, I hate to say it but I like that the GS10 comes in a piano black finish to match the tv and stand while the RS6 is matte black. I know it may be a big mistake to choose the GS10 unheard over the RS6 that I know I really like, but I always feel like I want to buy the best gear I can and right now I can get them at the same price. I can always use the GS10s as rear surrounds when I have the money to buy GS20s in the future and if I really made a mistake I'm sure I could sell the GS10s for a slight loss and buy the RS6s. I should hear the totems and the B&Ws, but I'm not crazy about the B&W's vinyl finish and I'm not sure where to demo the totem's. I would also consider the sttaf's if I could get a deal. For some reason I think I read something about the Arros being sub-optimal for cinema.

Since right now I'm leaning slightly to the GS10s would you say that I'm being silly to think I can make up for any shortcomings in bass with my sub? Also my ceilings are 11', but I am moving this summer. Also if I buy the GS10s can I pair them with the RS LCR or do I need to shell out $600+ for the GS LCR?

Thanks again for your help. I am getting very excited. I really feel like I dodged a bullet by not shelling out $1100 for the Mythos Ones. Good speakers, but not for me. Not only did they sound like they had a hole in the middle, but they were very harsh sounding as well.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1041
jonah:

I wish I could answer some of your questions but I can't. Clearly, it is your system, and if you want the GS10s (they are a lovely speaker, aren't they?), then I say get the GS10s. As I said before, they are smoother and more delicate in the upper midrange and treble than the RS, and very silky throughout the entire midrange. You can't go wrong with them.

What I cannot answer is about the center channel. Now, I have a policy, which I have stated many times before, that I will never recommend nor criticize a speaker or other component that I have not heard for myself. I have not heard the GS LCR, so I cannot say. When I heard the RS LCR, it was with RS speakers, and they blended beautifully (as they should). I would say to trust your dealer on this. You just need to be sure that the front three speakers blend so that you have a seamless image across the front. If your dealer thinks the RS LCR is good enough, then it probably is.

I know I faced a similar question about the B+W center speaker with the 600 series. I spent a good amount of time listening to both the LCR 60 and the LCR 600, the latter being considerably more expensive. I determined that the 60 was good enough only for the 600 and 601s, but above that (602s, et al.), only the 600 matched. So, I would simply warn you that just because it is from the same manufacturer doesn't mean that the sound matches. Again, listen to your dealer on this. I would talk to your dealer and get an assurance that if the sound from the GS10s does not work for you, you can return them after a sufficient home trial, rather than have to go through the hassle of selling them yourself to get the RS.

As for Totem, both the Arro and the Sttaf are both very nice speakers--I like 'em. I do think given your room size, you may like the larger Sttaf's better. You may also like the Model 1 Twins, a larger bookshelf type with a D'Appolito array that I think works wonderfully well in a HT application, especially since they have a more standard 8 ohm impedence, which is easier on the amplifier. Great hifi speakers too. Worth checking out.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us