What's 7.1 system?????

Will
Hi All,

I know what's 5.1 & 6.1 but I don't know what's 7.1 , in 6.1 surround-ex is included but what's the setup of 7.1 ???? Can anyone explain me plz! Regards,

mike
If you understand how 6.1 works in DD EX then 7.1 is easy. In DD EX 6.1 the extra channel in the back is matrixed info from the left and right surrounds. That channel does not have discrete information that is different from all other speakers. In 7.1 you are simply adding a second matrixed speaker which plays identically what the first back channel or 6th speaker does. The whole idea behind this is to expand your soundfield and basically make your surround sound more realistic.

In the future, you can bet that there will most certainly be true discrete 7.1, 8.1, 9.1 or more surround formats, but currently there is only one true 6.1 format. Its called DTS-ES and it can be found on some dvds including Gladiator.

Hope that helps clear things up!

-mike

John K.
Will, Mike is correct: there's actually no such thing as a separate 7.1 format. In most cases the 7th speaker would be playing the same sound as the 6th speaker, although it's generally agreed that the two back speakers sound better than one. A few receivers apply special processing to the 6th channel and send a slightly different sound to the 7th speaker, but that's simulated and isn't a "real" 7.1.

andy gonzalez
Also I learned today that the 7.1 is not a true standard. It is manufacturer dependant and so can vary from one to the next.

WILL
Mike, John and Andy thanks for making me understand this format. I really appriciate it.
WILL with best wishes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us