Recommendations for Compact speaker?

Username: Jaycha2

Post Number: 8
Hello All,
I have a pioneer D912 receiver. I am looking for a compact speaker system for watching DVD's and TV (within a range of $1500).
I have narrowed down to
Bose (Maynot be my choice anymore)
Polk
KEF

Your opinion will be appreciated

Thanks
Jay

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1029
How big is your room? Makes a difference in what I would recommend.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9627

http://www.nsmaudio.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Pether

Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Post Number: 15
Do you mean a whole system for 5.1 listening or just 2 stereospeakers ? How, or why, did you narrow to those brands ?

Epos (English, like Kef) is also an option in both categories. I am a big fan of them.
You could also include B & W.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1829
Jay,

Consider the M&K K-series. I believe they are in your price range. Not as pretty as the KEF 3005 series but better sound.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 172
This was taken off of another thread that I posted on when advising someone on compact speakers. This is my posting, so nobody get your shorts in a jumble :-)

------------------------------------------------------------

All the newer Bose Acoustimass HT (6,10,15,16) that have a SLOT PORT in the front, not the round hole, are powered.

the older acoustimass 15 with the round hole for a port was powered

the newer ones all sound slightly better to my ears. the voice coil leads in the sats are opposed from each other, instead of being on the same side, this gives the speakers some stabilility. The older series sounded brittle in the highs, whereas the newer series sounds slightly cleaner. This is possibly due to the opposition of the leads.

I would still not reccomend these speakers for a large room, as they are after all small speakers.

Better options exist, but the powered woofer rectifies one of the obstacles that this system had previously, and the new sats play slightly cleaner than the older series. I wouldn't use them for serious listening, but they are improved, and are not the terrible speakers they once were.

Are they worth the price... that is up to you. In a small to medium sized room, they very may well be.

Other options worth considering are:

Paradigm
klipsch
wharfedale
nsm
jbl
mordaunt short
infinity
polk
boston
athena
orb

these are just a few names, and many others exist. They all have a different sound, and are useful for finding out what you prefer and dislike. Most of these speaker manufacturers make designs that are comparable in size to those from Bose, and may even outperform them.

I am not going to tell you what to do, nor am I going to tell you my personal preference. However I AM going to tell you that if you like the size and performance of the Bose, than it may be wise for you to order them for yourself, and do a comparison. Bose offers a 30 day in home trial, and if you arent satisfied, send them back.

During this itme, you can go to a dealer, and compare the sound of the Bose to that of the other speakers mentioned above.

One issue, orb is an internet only company, available at www.orbaudio.com. If memory serves me correctly, they have a similar guarentee.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us