Triangle Heliades - Keep them or start all over?

Username: Srinivos

DFW

Post Number: 1
This is my 1st post but I have been reading these forums and a few others for the last few months. I am looking for advice/suggestions on my setup.

My current living room is fairly large at 21x13x9ft. My HT setup currently consists of -
Philips DVP642 DVD player
Music server HTPC, all CDs ripped to FLAC
Roku Soundbridge
Yamaha RX-V496 70Wpc HT rcvr
Energy Take5 satellites
Energy EXL-10 subwoofer
Kimber 4PR speaker cables
AudioResearch(or quest) interconnects

The Energy setup while satisfying in previous smaller apartments left me severely wanting in the music area when I wanted to listen to concerts on Rave(Soundstage, Austin City limits) or my CDs from the server.

I decided to replace my satellites with a good set of floorstanding speakers in the range of $1.5K. I researched and demoed a few speakers in December including the B&W 603/604, Rega R5, Paradigm Ref 60 , Gallo Reference & Vandersteen 2Ce. I also read a lot of good stuff about the Triangle Heliade but couldn't find any local dealers in Dallas. I found a dealer in Austin who had a last demo pair. So I had a friend demo them & satisfied that it would be the best match I ordered & received them last week.

Herein lies my predicament - I was not happy with how the speakers sounded. My music tastes are mostly rock(classic, alternative), some classical(western/indian-instrumental) & rarely pure vocals. When I demoed speakers locally, I listened to Pearl Jam, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd & some Indian-Western Fusion.

On the Heliades, the same music really underwhelmed me. The highs sounded a little harsh, mid-range just ok & bass was very vague(for lack of a better word). I tried concerts recorded in DD5.1 from the dvr & I still wasn't satisfied. The only music which sounded halfway decent was Acoustic ones like Nirvana's Unplugged CD. Upon some further research, it seems that the Triangles are known for being bright & require good tube amplification to sound good. Also, most people buying them like classical & less bass oriented music like blues & jazz.

Now that I have bored you with all the details, I need some help.

- Given my room size & music tastes, are the Triangle's even the right choice?

- If I wanted to drive them with used tube equipment(2-channel amp/integrated amp), how would I integrate them into an HT setup? I also ordered a Noxa Center channel in a haste because the Energy was really mismatched. The Yamaha rcvr has no pre-outs & only external decoder inputs so I cannot just connect a power amp to it.

My options:
# MC preamp with fronts driven by tube/hybrid/ss amp & center/surrounds driven by rcvr. (
# Integrated amp driving Heliades in 2-channel mode & rcvr in HT. (How can I drive speakers with both ?)
# MC preamp/MC amp (expensive, also rears are satellites)
# Good A/V rcvr (don't want to deal with hdmi switching until the whole 1.3 issue is sorted out, might not be good for speakers)

I have a limited budget so I would like to buy used as much as possible. The local audio store has a Rotel RSP 976 AV preamplifier for $300 so I am really considering it.

Again sorry for the really long post but I am in such a fix I feel like selling the speakers & starting fresh in a few months so I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
Srinivas

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 290
If it were me, I'd start all over again, and scrap those speakers. If they don't suit your tastes, it wouldn't be particularly wise to try and spend massive amounts of money to try and force them to. Plus getting a 2 channel power amplifier into your setup sounds like it is going to be a pain in the butt...

DFW

Post Number: 2
So, it will be tough to buy any speakers which are not efficient (need separate amp)? Are there any floorstanders which can driven by the receiver and sound good? I am more than willing to replace the Yamaha for the fronts(& center) but I would rather not spend too much on 5-channel amps as the rears really don't need much power.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 292
Some speakers will do better than others with that amplifier obviously. One speaker company you may have overlooked actually is Energy. They don't tend to present particularly horrible load to amplifiers, which is a bonus, and you have seemed to like their sound in the past. I'd give them a second look for sure.

DFW

Post Number: 3
If I wanted to start all over, should I start with the electronics or the speakers. The Yamaha being circa-2000 has only 2 digital inputs. I have 4 components (dvd player, htcp, dvr & roku) with digital outputs so upgrading the receiver to separates or newer receiver (with hdmi switching) have long been on my list.

I listened to Energy floorstanders at a friends home & it sounded OK, not great. The Take5 has served well for HT over the years but I am looking for something better primarily for music. HT integration is needed as I don't have another room to spare.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 293
They're both bottlenecks at this point, so its hard to say. If you could swing it, I'd say get a cheaper Harman Kardon or Marantz receiver for now (which could later act as a pre/pro) and a strong pair of fronts.

DFW

Post Number: 4
Stephen,

Thanks for the advice. While auditioning speakers I created a spreadsheet of floorstanders in $1.5K range. Can you suggest any given my taste in music?
My impressions of the speakers I have auditioned so far:
B&W 603 - good mid-range, slightly bright, decent bass
604 - much better bass, better than 603. really impressed until I heard the next one
Rega R5 - very neutral, great soundstage, good midrange especially with guitar music but bass lacking
Martin Logan (4K one, forget model) - The best highs & mids I have heard. Long been my dream to own one since I heard it a few yrs back. Impractical for an apartment & budget.
Vandersteen 2Ce - Heard so much but just din't feel it during the demo.
Gallo Reference - same as above

As you can see, all the auditioning didn't really help me decide on the best one so I just went with the Triangle. Besides I cannot find dealers for speakers like the Dali, Quads etc. in Dallas.
application/vnd.ms-excelUpload
speakers.xls (18.4 k)

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 294
One thing you might consider if you enjoy a planar sound is Maggies. The MMG/MMGW fall well under your budget for a pair of mains, so much so that you would have enough left over for a very good subwoofer to fill in where they leave off. Of course their caveat is they have limits to their dynamic range, and they like juice. A HK would do for starters, but you would really want to upgrade to a 5 channel amplifier at some point to squeeze the most performance possible out of them. But the things that they do well are undeniable.

Other than that, I would tend to be partial to NHT, Paradigm, and maybe Klipsch Reference if the rumors of reduced brightness are to be believed (not that it ever bugged me that much).

DFW

Post Number: 5
I do enjoy planar sound but at the same time I am wary of having speakers which dominate the living room. The Heliade in Bordeaux was even appreciated by my wife(yea, the dreaded WAF) & at 38" by 8" wide very good looking too. Alas, they don't sound as good.

I should add that I demoed the Paradigm Ref 60 along with the Rega R5 & I found the latter more to my liking. Klipsch & NHT are two speakers I am yet to audition. Klipsch have horn-loaded tweeters so don't you think they might sound somewhat like the Triangle?

For upgrading the electronics, which is a better starting point - better receiver or preamp/stereo power amp?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 295
"For upgrading the electronics, which is a better starting point - better receiver or preamp/stereo power amp?"

Depends on how much you ultimately wish to spend on this setup. For me a competent receiver and a 2 channel power amp would do the job. However, a seperate preamp and power amp setup would likely give better results.

As far as Klipsch goes, while they do have a reputation for being a bit on the harsh side, they do have other attributes you might find to your liking, and with your musical taste. Hence why it is important to audition.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 296
PS: Check out the Magnepan MMGW's to see if they would be considered "room dominating"

DFW

Post Number: 6
I just talked to the dealer about returning the speakers. I will be taking a small hit on the shipping & restocking fee but I would rather be a little poorer than repent the purchase forever.

I would like to try the Magnepan MMGs with their 60-day offer & also audition some local speakers at my home. I want it do it right this time so should I first get some used receiver(w/pre-outs) & amp to demo at home or use the yamaha?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 297
I'd upgrade the amplification. But to be fair to the Triangles, I'd see what uprated amplification will do for them also.

DFW

Post Number: 7
I've gotten some advice that Yamaha is a bright receiver & might not be the best to couple with Triangle. Can you suggest an A/V rcvr which I can buy locally (BB, CC or Tweeter) to try? I guess I'll compare them side-by-side before I return them.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 298
Harman Kardon would be your best bet.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1021
srinivas:

1. Your first problem is your receiver. That unit puts out about 70 wpc (into only 6 ohms, as I recall), but only into two channels. Even then, it is huffing and puffing all the way. It does about 30-35 wpc when using a 5.1 setup. I can appreciate it was just fine when you were in an apartment--your room now is simply too large for both the receiver and the Take 5 speakers. Thus, I think you should look at a game plan to replace both.

2. I can appreciate (and admire your knowledge) not wanting to get a new receiver until the HDMI standards are sorted out. The obvious answer here is an outboard amp, using your Yamaha as a pre/pro, provided it has pre-outs to an external amp, but an outboard amp of any real quality can get pretty expensive. For a multi-channel amp, they start about a grand and go up from there.

3. It is good to know what you have auditioned. Your thoughts give me a good idea what you are looking for, sound-wise. Most of what you auditioned simply did not have the sparkle or the punch you want from your music. So what you really need is something fairly lively. Since the Triangle speakers seem to lack the punch you want, I agree that you should not keep them (and regret your purchase ad infinitum). However, before you do that, I would investigate getting an NAD C272 amp to drive the Heliades. Find an NAD dealer that will let you try it out at your home (most will). It is a two channel amp, with a real 120 wpc, and you should be able to get it for about $550. Run it off the pre-outs on your receiver. See if it will make your Heliades sing--if anything can, this amp will. If it doesn't, take the amp back and send back the Triangles to the dealer in Austin.

Now, I am going to throw out another suggestion. First, you need to find some tower speakers that will really provide a lively presentation and I have a great candidate. Check these out:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMCO816

I have heard these speakers at length and they are very forward sounding, with superb detail and great low end, as well. These are half price on a model closeout and this dealer will give you a 30 day audition, so if you don't like them they will take them back with no questions asked. Like the Triangles though, you will need better amplification to get the sound you want. If the NAD amp idea doesn't work for you, check out this receiver which has the power to drive them:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR7500

Now, it doesn't have the HDMI connections, but why do you want to send a video signal through an audio receiver anyways? Just bypass it altogether. The sound will be great and you can still control everything with your programmable remote that comes with the receiver. The video signal does not have to go through the receiver for the remote to control everything.

Just a few thoughts FYI.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5203
A Rotel RB985 5 channelx100w amp can be had for very little.
Search the online sales.
I got a 2001 amp for $500.

DFW

Post Number: 8
I went by the local BB/Magnolia yesterday & they don't stock either Marantz or H/K receivers.

My Yamaha receiver does not have any pre-outs :-(
So only option is a pre-amp (or integrated for trial purposes). I plan to visit the NAD dealer(http://www.audioconceptsonline.com) to see if he will let me try at home. Any advice on pairing a Rotel preamp with NAD amps? He also has an used Rotel RSP 976 AV preamplifier for $300 & I could definitely use it with or w/o the Triangles. Can I combine it with a NAD amp? Or should I stick to same brand pre-pro?

Hawk,
To the contrary I find Triangles a bit forward to the point of sounding bright. I actually liked the sound of the Rega's (more laid back) & Martin Logan (a wholly different level of clarity & soundstage). I listened to Klipsch at Magnolia & I found it similarly harsh. I agree that most of them lacked a tight/punchy bass. I thought the B&W 604 & the Vandys to some extent had the best bass presentation.

From what I have read online, the Focal JM Labs are very similar to Triangle (both French & similarly lively). Is that right? So, in what aspect do you think the JM Labs are better than Triangle?

I agree about the receiver recommendation. I definitely want to bypass video from the path. I can always get a cheap HDMI switch from monoprice. Thats why I am ready to upgrade either to separates or better receiver.

Lastly, do I need a 5-channel amp or can I get away with a 2-channel amp for fronts paired with yamaha for center & rears? I mean, if the price difference is significant, I would rather buy a good stereo amp than a decent mc one for the same price. Right?

Thanks for all the advice.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1023
srinivas:

Rats! I looked on the internet at a (low resolution) picture of the back of your receiver and thought I saw pre-outs, but it must have been a set of 5.1 inputs instead. Sorry about that. Well, without pre-outs, there is no sense in getting a separate amp to combine with your receiver. Time to move on.

Let me initially suggest that you still do not know how the Heliades sound since they are not getting enough power to really drive them. Sound that is thin and overly bright is very suggestive of inadequate amplifier power. I still think you need to determine if the Heliades are what you want to listen to, so let me suggest another tactic to find that out. NAD offers a great integrated amp called the C372 (which is a C272 power amp with a pre-amp section included) which would work very well. See if you can get one of those for an in home trial for the weekend. Set them up with Heliades (stereo) and see if you are getting the sound of your music right. If not, simply send the Heliades and the C372 back to their respective dealers and we start over. However, if you do like the resulting sound, just take the C372 back and explain to the NAD dealer that you decided you want an A/V for those speakers. Check out an NAD T763 receiver which will have almost as much power and it will meet your needs.

Alternatively, if you go with the Rotel AV pre/pro, an NAD amp would be a great choice. I would suggest the new NAD T955 power amp (should be able to get this for about $1195), a five channel amp with 100 wpc and capable of hitting 150 wpc in short bursts. I have never looked into that particular Rotel pre/pro, so I cannot comment on whether that is a good unit, but I have a Rotel stereo receiver in my study and I think very highly of Rotel equipment--it should be fine. I do prefer NAD power amps more because they are warmer sounding than Rotels.

Sounds like you will be busy this weekend, so have fun!

DFW

Post Number: 9
Hawk,

Good advice, thats pretty much what I had planned in the evening until the freezing, cold rain in Dallas postponed my plans to tomorrow. Here is a link to the Rotel Preamp. Its circa 01 & has the basic stuff I need for now - DD5.1, DTS & ample digital inputs. At $300, I think I won't lose much if I wanted to upgrade later on & sell it.

http://www.laaudiofile.com/rsp976.html

A couple of doubts:

- Would I save anything buying a 2-channel amp for now or is the cost differential minimal between 2&5 ?
I should add that I ordered the Triangle center channel too but my rears will still be Energy satellites. So I was thinking of driving centers & rears with the Yamaha(using the external 5.1 inputs). Too complicated, won't work?

- I looked at a rear pic of the C372 & don't see any digital inputs. Is that common to all 2-channel components(power & int amps)?

As I listed in my 1st post, my CD source is probably one of the weakest, if not the weakest links. Instead I ripped all my CDs to the htpc in FLAC format & use a Roku soundbridge hooked to digital input of receiver. I guess I'll just use RCA cables for the trial. A better source is on the list only when the speakers & amps mesh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5206
Srinivas, you are doing fine. The FLAC files are as good as a player(depending on software).
If you use the stereo outs to the receiver, you are still using the receiver's DAC's for decoding. Good.
For an amp, (and I sound like a recording), look for a used RB985 5 channel amp. They are cheap. That amp will run anything,and can be had for a song.
With that pre, you will be in good shape.
I love the Rotel house sound.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1026
Yeah, srinivas, I understand your weather problem. I am near Denver and we are getting hit with the same storm, only here it is snow, not rain.

Now, it seems clear to me that I have not been making myself clear about several issues--maybe I have thrown too much at you at once, so let me try to clear it up.

1. You really can't use your Yamaha to power the rear speakers, nor can you use a two channel amp to power the fronts because your Yamaha does not have pre-outs. It is a "closed system", so it really can't be of any use in your new HT set up. I do see what you mean about using the 5.1 inputs, but that is for an SACD or DVD-A player--the signal would still go through the Yamaha's processor, so no, it does not work. So you need to plan to to get something new, sooner rather than later.

2. I suggested trying out the NAD integrated solely for the purpose of determining if your Heliades are worth keeping. I am not suggesting the NAD integrated as a solution to your system. I was merely suggesting that you need to determine if you want to keep the Heliades (remember, that was your orginal question!). That is why I suggested the NAD integrated amp. It does not have any digital inputs--it is just a stereo integrated amp (all analog), nothing more. I suggested it as a way to try a high powered amp to see if the Heliades make good music to your ears if given enough power. You would be taking the NAD integrated amp back to the dealer in any case.

3. I can understand the appeal of a relatively inexpensive Rotel pre/pro, but it lacks a lot of sound processing formats that have become rather standard amongst current products. Additionally, you would be looking at spending at least another $1000 for a good multichannel amp. Instead, since money seems to be an issue (of course, when is it not an issue?), I would suggest you would be better off financially to simply get a Marantz SR7500 on a closeout. In my earlier post, I gave you a link where you can get it for $599, so it will be much less expensive than separates, and it has 105 wpc, so it will have enough power to drive the Heliades, and it will have all of the digital processing you will want.

DFW

Post Number: 10
Hawk,

Thanks for clarifying about the 5.1 inputs, I did not know about the processing aspect. I always thought external 5.1 inputs are just amplified by rcvrs/power amps. Either ways, it was a convoluted direction to follow.

I went to the store today & discussed my situation. This was the same store where I had auditioned the Rega R5 & Paradigm studio 60's. Since I have never purchased from them, he was rather reluctant to just loan an amp to try out. Also, he pointed out the same issue about the integrated not working for HT. He was willing to let me try a NAD receiver instead so I brought home the T743 instead. I had only 2 hrs to play with it (attended chilli peppers concert at 7.30) but first observation was a much more defined bass response. The speakers still sound lively but I still have to run through the other albums in my collection before I can decide.

On a side note, Gnarls Barkley was the opening act for RHCP today. I don't know if it was a bad mic setup or poor tuning (maybe they're just a better studio group) but the performance was horrendous. Vocals were muddled & instruments just sounded all mashed up. Even my wife commented about it & she listens to FM radio most of the time. Then they cleared the stage & set it all up for RHCP & to our relief, they sounded amazing. Now, if only I had a magic wand which did that for my speakers, wouldn't it be great? :-)

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 11
NAD743 specs:
http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T743-A/V-Receiver/specs
http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded/surrounded200411.htm
Its not as powerful as Marantz (70w in stereo, 50w in 5c mode), but I got a demo pair for $680 w/taxes so it wasn't much more expensive.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 107
70W in stereo should be adequate. I currently use a NAD receiver (7130) rated at 30W per channel and it does surprisingly well. If you like the quality of sound it might be a good option to keep the 743.

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 12
Update:
Speakers were sent back yesterday. I listened to most of my music over the last few days. While it did sound great with CDs like Pink Floyd's "The Wall" & some classical albums, rock albums like Led Zeppelin & AC/DC just did not sound right. These speakers might be great for someone with taste in classical, jazz, vocal & soft rock. Unfortunately, they are not for me. I have a few more names & plan to start all over again.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1046
srinivas:

Clearly, you have not found your speakers yet. I re-read this string to refresh my memory about what speakers you have auditioned. Let me suggest another. Check out the Monitor Audio RS6 speakers, a floorstander that will have much more punch--all in all a great speaker for rock, yet with the resolution to do other types of music well. Works well with your new NAD receiver, too. See if you can find a dealer in your area to hear them. I can't imagine that you can't find a dealer in the DFW area--I would look it up for you, but the server for Monitor Audio USA is showing as overloaded right now. Here is a description of the speaker, however:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?range=2&product=4

Gold Member

Post Number: 5334
srinivas, DFW seems to be a blight on the lanscape of audio, you might have to travel up to Plano for some better stuff, possibly including the MA RS6.

Hey go to six flags.

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 13
Hawk,
Yeah, I am definitely back to square one. I started creating a spreadsheet with speakers in my price range but left it midway when I ordered the Triangles. I'll need to go back & fill it out, filter the ones which might be a good match (too bright or too lean in bass etc.). I'll be posting here to get some feedback too over the next few days. Getting those speakers into the boxes & back to UPS made me realize that I can't do this again. Next speakers I buy have to stay :-)
So I am on the lookout for ones which have local dealers.

Nuck,
By DFW, I mean the entire metroplex including Plano & even as far west as Arlington(about 30-40mi). There were a few small stores in and around metro Dallas which have disappeared over the years. Some speaker homepages(like Dali) list old address. In Dali's case, the dealer says he doesn't stock them anymore and even informed Dali to remove his store's name.

I'll check out the MA RS6 too. Let me see if I can attach the spreadsheet. I am also open to a simpler 2-channel setup & bookshelfs if they sound good now. Having a matching center and integrating into HT is a plus.

6-flags huh? Been there a few times already. They need some new rides for me to go back.
application/vnd.ms-excelUpload
speakers.xls (19.5 k)

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 235
Plano has Hi-End Theater and Audio and Richardson has John Fort Audio and Video, but Dallas has Audio Concepts on Forest and Preston.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5357
Srinivas, if you have relented enough from the multi-channel stuff enough to even admit to considering a 2 channel kit, then yo are a candidate for the real thing.
2 ears, 2 speakers.

Oh, my friend, the stereo experience is waiting for you....waiting...

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 14
Nuck,
I have probably spent 50-60hrs reading on forums in the last few weeks & the choices are mind-boggling. At the same time, I don't want to get into the whole permanent upgrade-itis that many people here express. Basically I am scared I'll be enjoying music less & buying stuff more :-)
Just looking at some of the speaker designs, I feel like I need to own them. Reality is, I live in an apt & anything I plan by one room might be redundant if and when I move to a home.

Michael,
I auditioned Vandy 2Ce/Gallo References at John Fort, Rega/Paradigm at Audio Concepts & B&W/ML at Hi-End. There were 3 other stores I visited back in 2000 which are no longer around. One near Skillman/635(NHT), Stereo East(Energy) & Hillcrest Hi-Fi. Small stores have been acquired or given way to the mega HT stores these days.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5368
Srinivas, please re-adress your musical tastes, your impressions of music(not gear), and your typical listening again.
Once for us, but more importantly, once again for yourself.

Breathe twice, then tell us what you want.
The second breath is for you.

You will get there, my friend. We will help.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1050
srivinias:

Finally got onto the Monitor Audio USA web page and located their dealers in the DFW area (I had to use my brother's zip code in Arlington, as I don't know yours. Here are the dealers within 50 miles of Arlington:

AT YOUR SERVICE FORT WORTH, TX 76117

4400 Airport Freeway

817/831-3113

MARVIN ELECTRONICS CO. FORT WORTH, TX 76109

2750 South Hulen Street Web Site

817/927-5311

C.H.T. SYSTEMS DALLAS, TX 75220

10606 Shady Trail, Ste. 109

214/956-0292

MB AUDIO VIDEO DALLAS, TX 75230

12571 Montego Plaza

972/991-7233 By Appointment Only

HOME AUTOMATION TECHNOLOGIES ADDISON, TX 75001

4132A Billy Mitchell

972/960-6928

INNOVATIVE HOME SYSTEMS DALLAS, TX 75287

17480 Dallas Pkway, Suite 112

972/407-9553 By Appointment Only

WAV ELECTRONICS PLANO, TX 75093

800 Fulgham, Ste 29

972/333-8289 By Appointment Only

ADVANCED HOME THEATER SYSTEMS PLANO, TX 75075

3209 Premier, Ste 112 Web Site

972/516-1849

STEREO EAST FRISCO, TX 75035

9150 Warren Parkway Web Site

972/335-5116

I agree with Nuck--you will get there and we will help.

Bronze Member

DFW

Post Number: 15
Thanks for guiding me along guys! I was planning to start fresh with some more details on the room size, shape & what I am looking for in a music setup. Since this thread has veered off from the topic(Triangles), should I just start a new one? Going back through the posts, I see that some of the information is irrelevant now that I don't have the speakers.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1070
Yep. Start a new one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us