PSB vs. Energy vs. Paradigm vs. Onix vs. NHT

Bronze Member
Username: Audionew

Arlington, Texas

Post Number: 19
I have been researching these speakers extensively. I'm trying to choose between the PSB Alpha B1, the Energy C-100, Paradigm Atom, Onix x-Is, NHT SB1 or SB2. I listen to about 60% music and 40% movies. I don't particularly want to buy a sub. I have heard the Atoms but can't find a dealer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area for the others. $300 is my cieling. suggestions

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 654
Sorry I don't know much of quality of those companies at that price, but I've always liked Paradigm (it's all of those I've heard).

It sounds like it should (but that's when I heard a $2500 pair on a system with Rotel's best) to me.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 454
I have the previous Energy "C" line, C-3s (& C-5s) both purchased on EBAY when the line was terminated. I find that they are very natural and dynamic speakers. I WAS interested in their floor standing C-500s to replace my Athenas but in south Florida they have only "Custom Installers" without showrooms so they lost a customer because I'm not about to jump through any hoops.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1557
Audionew -

What are you using to power the speakers? Most of the speakers you listed are pretty easy to drive except the NHTs. The designs that NHT uses are notoriously power hungry and need a good amount to current to sound the way they're designed to sound.

I haven't heard the Onix speakers, but they get very good reviews from their owners. Then again, owners should be biased towards their purchase, right?

Of the speakers listed, I like the Energys and Paradigms best. They're built well and sound well balanced for their size. I own and am a PSB fan, but the Alphas leave something to be disired IMO.

As far as the Energys, Paradigms and NHTs (if you've got enough power to drive them properly), their really isn't a unanimous winner. You need to hear them and decide which sounds best for you.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1010
Audionew:

I have to agree with the earlier posts that what you are using to drive the speakers is a very important consideration. Also, what is the size of your room? Since we know your budget, we have now covered the three critical considerations.

I personally never cared much for the NHT SB1s or SB2s--I found them with no depth to the soundstage. Conversely, the SB3s were a great speaker, but all of these have been superseded by a new line which appears to be much improved. I do like the Energy C-100s, but for your budget you can get the C-200, which will have better bass. See it here:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

Also, depending upon your amp and your room, you may want to go to some floorstanders. Check these out:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASF1%2E2

Finally, I would also recommend the B+W 303s. Again, depending upon your amp, they may make for a great little system.

Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1485
Go with the XL-S,they are the best speaker ever made for under $300,they are my new budget reference,that i listen to quite often and i dont miss a beat from my big rig when their in my system.They didnt win all these awards this past season for nothing,amazing product!

Bronze Member
Username: Audionew

Arlington, Texas

Post Number: 27
does the xl-s have a decent bass response? im using H/K AVR 340 btw
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us