Receiver suggestions needed

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 934
Hey everyone, I'm starting from scratch on a new home theater system. My main source is a home theater pc I recently purchased and I plan on running most of my audio and video through the computer so video output isn't a big concern for the receiver. I'm more of an audio purist in that I prefer 2 channel sound, even on video sources, but I'd like to be able to power a second zone of speakers with the receiver as well, from a second source. I'd like the receiver to handle an optical audio input from the computer. In addition, the receiver should put out on the order of 100 watts/channel to the main speakers and be able to handle a 4 ohm load. I'm flexible on price but would like stay under 2000, i'd prefer something around the 1200 range though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5199
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1173337938

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 935
sounds pretty impressive, I've never heard a "digital drive" amplifier before so I'll definitely have to give it a listen. Anything else I should look at?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1012
Steve:

Digital drive sounds very impressive, but in reality it is merely marketing speak.

Since you want something that can handle 4 ohm speakers, that really limits your list as very few A/V receivers can handle a 4 ohm load across all channels. Usually, 4 ohm speakers tend to be high end and require high dollar seperate amps to drive. The one exception is NAD, which makes receivers within your price range that can handle loads even as low as two ohms. Here is one that meets all of your criteria:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1173020566

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 359
I kinda really like that sony , I dont no i would have to hear it , but dam does it look impressive

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12386
You may also want to take a look at Outlaw Audio.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 936
Hawk, I looked at the NAD line and was thinking about going that direction, but from the specs, it appeared that the 2nd source zone-2 was only a pre-out. I would like to have the ability to power a second room with the receiver, but there's other ways around that, the ability to power 4 ohm speakers is higher on my list.

Berny, I also looked into Outlaw, but their multi-channel receiver isn't rated for 4 ohms. Their outboard amps are rated at 4 ohms, but thats a whole different ballgame, but still a good option if i can find a good preamp to pair with it.

thanks a lot guys and all other opinions and recommendation are greatly appreciated.

Username: Mcpdevs

Post Number: 1
Hi Everyone,
I need a help. Recently I baught a yamaha receiver RX-V659 in US keeping in mind that It supports both 240V 50HZ and 110V 60Hz. But unfortunately I received the model that supports only 110V 60HZ. Now I want to take it back to india which supports only 240V 50Hz. Is it ok to buy a step down transformer for my receiver? Does the line frequency difference affects the performance of the receiver? If so please tell me how to get rid of the issue?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1020
dev:

To my knowledge, there are no models that support both 240v and 110v--its either one or the other. I think you were mislead by the marketing materials as Yamaha was was merely indicating that either model was available.

As far as your question goes, provided you get a good quality step down transformer that will handle the amount of current that the receiver draws, it should not be a problem. Find out from Yamaha how many watts your receiver draws at full power and get an appropriate transformer that will handle that size of a load. You should be fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5202
The frequencies will not work.

Username: Mcpdevs

Post Number: 2
Hi Hawk & Nuck
Thanks for the reply.

Nuck, I'm not getting what exactly you are saying.
I know for sure that by using step-down transformer, I can get only the desired voltage (110V) and the current but not the desired frequency (60Hz). Do you mean that the frequency has no effect on the receiver performance?

Regards
Dev

Username: Daniel_1

Post Number: 6
Actually, the Yamaha RXV2500 model supprts both 110/220 60/50. In addition, the ARCAM300 model has a swich at the back side that you can set it up either for 110/60 or 220/50. Finally, the NAD T773 has it inside - I brought my in US and with 110/60 and over see in Israel I have wired it to 220/50 with no issue. (BTW, I do not suggest you to have the T773 - too many isses (started in US already).

Good luck, Daniel

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12396
I have a T773 and I have no issues with it. The hum issues I used to have was a source problem. I changed out the CD/DVD player and it went away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5208
The receivers 'clock' is going to be rated for eithr 50 or 60 Hz, not both. Unless the manufacturer has included a variable to accept both(thanks Daniel).
That is a must.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us