Best Bookshelves Under $300?

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 72
Please read, need help!

Looking for the best bookshelf speakers for under $300. I had a few threads from before pertaining to a possible setup, but disregard those. Many components i had a few days ago no longer apply, so i'm building from the ground up. First on my list (a short one at that...all of maybe 3 pieces..speakers, receiver, sub) is speakers. I'm looking for the best bookshelf speakers for under $300. They don't need to have warranty if it will significantly reduce costs (ie. eBay is fine). Although I'd prefer to keep it at 300, I'm willing to go up to 350 is there some speaker that presents a HUGE difference between the $300 speaker and the $350 one. If only minor, then I'm not interested. Also ps, receiver will be an HK, not sure what model number yet, either an AVR 245 or an AVR 445 depending on what HK has the refurbs for on eBay.

Currently my top choice for speakers are Wharfedale 9.2's. They seem to provide detailed and clear highs, while having a strong midrange and possibly even strong bass. I've found those for $300 shipped. If anyone knows where to get 9.3's for $350 shipped, then I'll consider them too, because it might knock out the need for a sub since they have 8" drivers. Otherwise, I'm probably not interested so so much in the $350 price range. But again...if theres a huge jump, I'll consider.

So where would you rank the 9.2's in the under $300 category, and what other ones would you suggest?

I listen to 60% country, 25% classic rock, and 15% rap. These speakers are mainly for music...80% music, 20% movies.

I have a few stores around me to go listen to speakers at. The brands I can audition are B&W, Martin Logan, Focal, Magnepan, Thiel, Mirage, Stereostone, Aerial Acoustics, Kef, Klipsch, Paradigm, Definitive Technology, Denon, Elan, Energy, M&K, Niles, Polk, Infinity, Bose, and Boston Acoustics.

Thanks for all the help!!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 282
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alegria-Audio-Emma-speakers_W0QQitemZ110076326086QQihZ001QQc ategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That would annihilate anything in the sub 300 category IMO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
those look good, time for me to do some research on em. have you heard em in person before at all? anyone else know about those or have different recommendations?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9620

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/156699.html

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 283
I own them actually. Like most speakers built on something resembling a budget they have their strengths and compromises. Under strengths, they have solid bass extension so a subwoofer isn't really needed for most material. They throw a respectably wide soundstage and have good imaging. They have a sense of palpability that makes their performance seem much more real to me than any other speaker I've heard at its regular retail price point of 699. Conversely they aren't the most detailed/analytical speaker I've ever heard. IMO this is more than made up for by the realism imparted by the speaker, but if you're the type that likes to listen for spit in a singers mouth, Emma won't do the job for you. Emma is also not super efficient, but with my HK 3380 stereo receiver, it gets loud enough to party in an apartment with ease. Block party on the other hand is a negative. Personally I'm looking at upgrading to not a more powerful amp in terms of wattage, but one with a more robust power supply that can deliver better transient response/dynamics.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
It'd be awesome to not have to have a sub. This is all headed for a dorm room....so either a 3380 if i go the stereo route, or 445 if i go the 7.1 route...both would put out 90 WPC in stereo at 6 ohms...445 would just allow me to hang on to the receiver for much longer period of time due to upgraded features ill need later on. if they took 135 watts though...like from a 3480 at 6 ohms...it'd be a 50% volume increase and a much fuller sound wouldn't it? im new to the receiver world too so im not so up to date on stuff regarding that either... FWIW, id like to stick with HK though.

and jan i went through your review already, looks great. if i can get these for a decent price then ill definitely go with them i think... in case these shoot up to like 500 bucks though... what else would you guys recommend in the 250-350 range?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 286
"like from a 3480 at 6 ohms...it'd be a 50% volume increase and a much fuller sound wouldn't it?"

The volume increase would be less than 3dB, and assuming that the same quality went into the 3380 as the 3480, I wouldn't expect any increase in SQ. That is why I'm going for an integrated amplifier outside of the HK stable. While they will be rated around the same wattage, the power supply will be much more robust which should lead to better dynamics.

Beyond that in the general price bracket I'd look at the Onix XLS from av123.com and Energy C-200 among others. Fortunately there are a lot of choices in the price range, which means you can find something you will readily enjoy for years to come. Unfortunately there are a lot of choices in this price range which will confuse the hell out of you and make you wonder about whether you made the right decision for years to come. Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
back to the drawing board man....those speakers are gonna cost $450 shipped....got any recommendations for a bit less? how are infinity beta 20s? primus 160s? titans? some b&w's? what would fit the slot for less than $350 shipped? are the wharfedales still gonna be the best, for 300 shipped? id love to get the emma's, and i am still thinking about it....but i need to figure out what are my options that are a bit lower. recommendations appreciated. thank you!

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 288
All of the above are respectable speakers. If I were you, I would start listening to a few and seeing what I liked and what I didn't like. The speakers I would look at to start with would be Energy (C-200), Klipsch (RB-10), Infinity (Beta 20), and Polk (RTi 4). This will give you a good general "range" of what is out there, and based on your likes/dislikes we might be able to give a few more suggestions along the way.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 809
The Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 are still your best choice, IMHO, if you want to spend up to $300.

You would have to spend more than twice as much for the next best, clear cut choice, again IMHO, the Paradgihm Studio 20v4.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 265
Can I recommend this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=24588.10

Not a bookshelf I know, but you wont get better sound for $300(and you wont need stands or a high power amp to drive them). I just replaced $2000 Dynaudios with these and couldnt be happier.

cheers,

b.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 810
Bvan, I've seen (but not listened to) a similar OB design using the CSS FR125S divers.

But I'm not sure everyone is up for a DIY project.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 266
Thats true. But these are so easy to make it would be silly to let a bit of mdf dust stop anyone if they were interested in trying OB I recon. Provided one had access to a circular and jigsaw. I've never thought of myself a a DIY'er.

cheers

B.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
i like the idea but i wont have the space...its goin in a 14x9 dorm room that also has to fit a bed, desk, cabinets, bedstand, etc. thats why i gotta stick with bookshelf speakers. im still lookin hard at these emma's as i sold a few things on ebay today so i might have enough money now...but has anyone else heard the emma's? i guess i just need something to compare them to....any ideas anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 668
I feeeel nice, like sugar and spice.

So nice! So nice! I gotta you!

When I hold you in my arms, I know that I can't do no wrong!

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
lol i take it you've heard the emma's before?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 669

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 299
Just do a search of the forum archives. You'll see a few reviews of it from old posters if you're interested. Of course Emma has been revised since most of those reviews, largely to try and take into account some of the cons mentioned.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
aight so i did the evil deed tonight lol...i purposely blew out my 6 year old micro system so my parents would let me use my own money to get a new one....seems funny eh? cant buy new gear even if you use your own money? anyways lol. im pretty set on the wharfdales...i went up to an audio shop in town today and was completely pleased with all the b&w stuff and everything else they had. then checked out circuit city for the basic stuff...wasnt all that pleased with some of their options either. some was listening preference...some were just the dead ugly looks that werent gonna work. so the wharfedale 9.2's are set for $306. my last question is though...which HK receiver should i get? i want to get the 3480 but im worried that it could overpower the speakers? the speakers are rated at 100w...the receiver puts out 120w. if i just keep the volume level down so that the speakers aren't distorting, will everything be okay? or should i get the 3380 which is 80w? thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1038
You are better with a more powerful receiver. Low power can cause problems also. Just don't overpower the speakers - you'll hear them start to clip if you do. The more power in the amp section usually means more clean power which the speakers deserve.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3793
Get option #1 and use the volume control with restraint. Better too much power than too little.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
aight hk 3480 and wharfdale 9.2's it is then. what guage does the wire need to be?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
bump for an answer...

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 817
12 or 14 will suffice. I like the finished cables from parts express (they're 14).

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 820
Take your pick http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=40&ObjectG roup_ID=601

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
thanks man

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 822
Did you buy a B-Stock HK?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
im lookin into one right now. im tryin to get the wharfedale's squared away right now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us